PDA

View Full Version : Living in Texas

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 12:11 PM
My wife, son & I are going to visit family in Texas in April. My wife's sister has this idea that we should move down to Texas to be close to them. I believe they live in Gilbert, near Ft. Worth/Dallas.
So for the hell of it, I looked up homes in the area. HOLLY CRAP, you can get a lot of house down there. We have a victorian house built in 1920, 2 story, 1500 sf, 3 bedroom 1 & 1/2 bathrooms. We put in new carpet, new kitchen and the bathrooms. We bought this 6 years ago for $126,000, we still of $120,000. Homes similar to ours are selling for 180's-low 200K in downtown Puyallup where we live. Our payments are $930 a month, including tax & insurance.
I work for a landscape company. I do all our estimating for larger commercial installation projects, manage projects and will be a licensed Landscape Architect with the State of Washington in 2 months. My wife works in a bank as a teller/loan officer. My question is, would it be worth it to move down to Texas? What do jobs pay? What is the economy like? Also I was born at Harris Hospital in Ft. Worth, so I won't be a transplant. :D
I feel like I should interview with some landscape companies when I'm in the area, just to see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oldbuck40
02-16-2005, 12:43 PM
you must mean Gilmer,TX or Gober,TX,,,i can tell you one thing i live 30 miles south of the DFW area and they are building houses here left and right,,i know of 2 of the many houseing additions that are in the works that total 10,600 homes and more on the way,,im sure you wouldnt have a problem finding a job,,just stay out of Dallas or Ft worth like i said there is no room to grow in the dfw area so look on the outskirts where all the growth is going on.

jdf
02-16-2005, 12:47 PM
if it's gilmer not to much around there ,,,i live in tyler and it's growing fast there is a alot landscape company around here so come on down and check it out

oldbuck40
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
hey JDF check your PM's

jdf
02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
right back at you

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
They live in Frisco. I must have been thinking of something else. :messedup:

jdf
02-16-2005, 01:26 PM
frisco it's on the move big time

oldbuck40
02-16-2005, 01:31 PM
frisco it's on the move big time
hey jdf i know i got to get out of here but tell him about lewisville and and all the other crowded lakes and how dangerous they are,,he needs to come south and or east of the metroplex,,,gotta go im late see you guys tomorrow!!!

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Whats the weather typically like? I see today its about the same up here. Sunday shows maybe 71 with clouds. Can you boat all year long? Are season is from April to September. Depending on rain. I remember my mom hating the humidity and heat the summer before I was born down in Texas.
What are the lakes like? Would I get ran over.

jdf
02-16-2005, 01:40 PM
it get's hot down here winter can be a pain on avg 55 as for lake's depend on were you go i don't do much boating in the metroplex i live about 80 miles east of it

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
There a few lake around here. We drive about 40 minutes to a couple of the close ones. If we want more sunshine we head to Eastern Washington for a long weekend. Drive time 4-5 hours depending on where we want to camp.

blowngas
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
What are the lakes like? Would I get ran over.----------it's possible if you're on Lake Travis and on a jet ski!!!--------most places if you have a boat, you're in good shape------wave action more of a problem than getting run over!! :)

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
I follow you on the wave action. I've pieced a few waves out here with the bow, when you get in the trough between waves. I get a lap full of water. It's no fun when you have to stay off plain with the bow up in the air going through white caps.

Liberator TJ1984
02-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Whats the weather typically like? I see today its about the same up here. Sunday shows maybe 71 with clouds. Can you boat all year long? Are season is from April to September. Depending on rain. I remember my mom hating the humidity and heat the summer before I was born down in Texas.
What are the lakes like? Would I get ran over.
Whats the weather like ??? well if you don't like it at the time ???
Give it a few hours , it will change :D
When mother nature is in Tx. she can never make her mind up :shift:

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 02:47 PM
So your saying one minute calm water the next, huricanne "Swamp The Boat".

Greaser
02-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Texas weather is unpredictable, but for the most part it is usually great. But it does get hot in the summer time. As far as the boating season...... last year I started in April, and quit in October.

Liberator TJ1984
02-16-2005, 03:30 PM
No it's more like .....wake up at 5am. 52* and foggy (freezin my ass), at noon it's 85* and sunny/ no wind ( Cookin my ass ) , at 7 pm tonight it will be around 60* w / 40% chance of rain and wind gusts up to 25mph(back to freezin my ass/ only now gettin wet too).......on a good day this cycle will happen 3 or 4 times :rolleyes: the saying is ..If you don't like the weather right now , wait a few minutes it will change
but 90% of the time its just a hot SOB

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys, I really appreciate it.

fkeys
02-16-2005, 05:58 PM
I visited my Dad in Waxahachie last turkeyday and the trees still had leaves!!! Mild winters for sure, but from what I hear the summers are sweltering with a bunch of bugs.
Hey Oldbuck40 - are you in Waxahachie proper? My Dad lives out by the super-collider. :220v:

wetterwith3
02-17-2005, 01:21 AM
best place to go with a boat like yours is the brazos river southwest of fort worth.

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 06:49 AM
yep there's quite a few of us on this thread that know about the brazos river!

1978 Rogers
02-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Mild winters for sure, but from what I hear the summers are sweltering with a bunch of bugs.
What kind of bugs? :idea: What do you mean, "a bunch of bugs"?

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 08:05 AM
What kind of bugs? :idea: What do you mean, "a bunch of bugs"?78 dont worry about the bugs! and the humidity is not real bad unless you head to far south east texas..when you come down if you have time i will pm you my cell# and we can take a short road trip around the waxahachie area maybe show you the brazos river and a few other lakes around here.

1978 Rogers
02-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Sounds great. I'd like that. We will be there April 9 and fly back April 16 mid morning. My folks will be driving over from Arizona. I have two aunts that live in the area. I'll make sure I can have part of a day free to see some water. If we did decide to move down, we'd certainly bring the boat.

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Sounds great. I'd like that. We will be there April 9 and fly back April 16 mid morning. My folks will be driving over from Arizona. I have two aunts that live in the area. I'll make sure I can have part of a day free to see some water. If we did decide to move down, we'd certainly bring the boat.i can tell you 1 thing if you move down here you gas bill for the boat is sure gonna go up,,our season is like 3 times longer than yours,,,but you will love texas no matter where you decide to live!!!

1978 Rogers
02-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Whats the cost for unleaded down there? Its about $1.70 up here.

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 11:30 AM
i think about 1.80 i dont really know i drive a cummins!!!

1978 Rogers
02-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Why isn't it cheap with all the oil wells.

rrrr
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Sounds great. I'd like that. We will be there April 9 and fly back April 16 mid morning. My folks will be driving over from Arizona. I have two aunts that live in the area. I'll make sure I can have part of a day free to see some water. If we did decide to move down, we'd certainly bring the boat.
You are 30 minutes from Lake Lavon. Great lake, not crowded like Lewisville. PM me and I'll take you out, either in my flattie or 27' Chapparal.

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 11:55 AM
because our government gets a big chunk of it. about 45 to 50 cents of the cost per gallon goes in the governments pocket as taxes... but i know what your sayin there are alot of wells around here and east texas and they will produce oil but they arent running because! the excuse is we dont want to use up our oil,we'll save it for a rainy day,,,bunch of bs if ya ask me.

Greaser
02-17-2005, 01:54 PM
You mean my well is supposed to produce oil? I couldnt tell you the last time I got a decent oil check. Well, it might be differnt if I owned more than 10% of the rights, :rolleyes:

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
You mean my well is supposed to produce oil? I couldnt tell you the last time I got a decent oil check. Well, it might be differnt if I owned more than 10% of the rights, :rolleyes:greaser dont hold your breath on that oil check!!!! hey i just ordered a full set up MSD ignition for the boat,i guess im finaly getting the fever!!! how you coming on the new engine parts?

Devilman
02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
How's it going oldbuck40? Workin on the boat I take it!!

oldbuck40
02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
How's it going oldbuck40? Workin on the boat I take it!!will be tomorrow if the care package shows up in the brown truck!!!
we have been working our butts off up here running lots of overtime over the past few weeks and as much as i hate to do it i will have to drag the boat out to put the new goodies on and its still too cool to go for a ride,,but at least i'll have it ready come spring time.

1978 Rogers
02-17-2005, 03:00 PM
its still too cool to go for a ride,,but at least i'll have it ready come spring time.
TOO cool. I thougt it is 52* in the morning. It was 25* here the last three mornings. 52* nice in the sun. :D

Sweet Addiction
02-17-2005, 03:30 PM
will be tomorrow if the care package shows up in the brown truck!!!
we have been working our butts off up here running lots of overtime over the past few weeks and as much as i hate to do it i will have to drag the boat out to put the new goodies on and its still too cool to go for a ride,,but at least i'll have it ready come spring time.
I see you missed the warm weather. Good luck on the boat though, hope you get it running or put more goddies on it. :D For those who inquire about Texas. It was 75 on Sunday and I was at the lake and Tuesday was 80 and I skipped work to go to the lake, and boy did I work on my tan. Well just some 02'.
Later Jared.

oldbuck40
02-18-2005, 06:57 AM
TOO cool. I thougt it is 52* in the morning. It was 25* here the last three mornings. 52* nice in the sun. :D78 its about 46 here this am and hell yea its too cool for the jet boat,,jet boats are suppossed to go fast and it just aint right rideing around in a pair of camo coveralls and gloves at 70 mph,,guess im getting old!!! i got a cabin cruiser for cool days like today!!!

dbddbd
02-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Petroleum landman here, let me know if you've got mineral rights in Freestone County, headed to Marshall, Texas in about 6 weeks, do you want free money? Let me know, lol...

Greaser
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
greaser dont hold your breath on that oil check!!!! hey i just ordered a full set up MSD ignition for the boat,i guess im finaly getting the fever!!! how you coming on the new engine parts?
Well, the whole deal with the Harley kinda set me back a lil, but I got my new heads, cam, intake, carb, and new shiney plumbing parts sittig on the floor of my guest bedroom. I have to take the boat to Houston tomorrow to drop off the interior. So hopefully I will get started on the motor next week.

oldbuck40
02-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Well, the whole deal with the Harley kinda set me back a lil, but I got my new heads, cam, intake, carb, and new shiney plumbing parts sittig on the floor of my guest bedroom. I have to take the boat to Houston tomorrow to drop off the interior. So hopefully I will get started on the motor next week.glad to see some parts rollin in,,tell me what you got! size carb,cam,spill the beans dude!!!

Greaser
02-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, its no secret, I bought a set of D0ve heads from Lakes Only, bought a Wieand stealth intake, 850 dp carb, and a "lil" cam. ;) Nothing radical.

sdba069
02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
The weather here is perfect, compared to a lot of places.

jdf
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
we could be back in chicking town okla snow hanging out at the car wash or love's

wrenchdaddy
02-22-2005, 02:52 PM
hey greaser, how much Hp you tryin to get outta that ford??

sneauxcone
02-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Anyone here from the Austin/Lake Travis area? We might be movin' that way this summer. So yes, another flaky Californian coming out to raise real estate prices and degrade the quality of life. Anybody live in Steiner ranch? That is our first choice, looks like a nice 'hood.

sdba069
02-23-2005, 08:58 AM
When You Get Here From Ca. You Become Officially, A Prunepicker, No Matter What Part Of The State You Are From. By The Way, There Is Actually A Steiner Valley Ranch Right Across The River From Me. That's Brazos River, not Colorado. I'm A Good Ways From Austin, Though.
Hey Oldbuck, The Msd Deal Was Absolutely The Way To Go, Good Move. Call Me If You Need Any Help On The Wiring.

oldbuck40
02-23-2005, 09:04 AM
havent started on it yet and the boss is getting a little pissy cause its sitting on the kitchen table! oh well maybe this week i'll get to it..oh yea joe at lone star sent me the wrong plug wires they are made up allready,,are they going to be so short that i have to run them across the valve covers?

Greaser
02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
hey greaser, how much Hp you tryin to get outta that ford??
I would love to see about 450+, but who knows.

Sweet Addiction
02-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Anyone here from the Austin/Lake Travis area? We might be movin' that way this summer. So yes, another flaky Californian coming out to raise real estate prices and degrade the quality of life. Anybody live in Steiner ranch? That is our first choice, looks like a nice 'hood.
What do you need to know. I boat on Lake Travis a pretty good bit, and also Lake Ausin. Lake Austin gets a little small when there are a bunch of people on it, thats why I like Travis. You could spend days there just exploring every crack, and corner of that lake. So its pretty nice here. This whole week has been in the 80's with a little rain. Good luck on the move and let us know when you get here.
Jared.

1978 Rogers
04-03-2005, 06:17 PM
OK we fly down this Saturday. Some of you mentioned a tour by boat when I get down. Is the offer still standing? I look forward to hooking up with some Southern ***boaters when I get down to Texas.

jdf
04-04-2005, 05:34 AM
where are you going to be dallas austin ????? i live in tyler area too bad very are leaving on the 4-16 the is a photo shoot in san ant. that weekend there will be about 50 boats ....

1978 Rogers
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
We will be north of Dallas in Frisco. Staying with the wifes sister and here family.

1978 Rogers
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I checked the weather for next week. Sure looks like clouds and thunderstorms.