PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks factory explosion in Havazoo!

nodigg
02-16-2005, 01:59 PM
So my concrete plant is next door to a local fireworks testing/manufacturing site. I was sitting in my office and B A M! , the trailer almost fell off the jacks! Seems one of their buildings blew up. Not sure if anyone was hurt yet. Just called 911 and everyone is crawling all over the place right now. Only a couple of days till the show too.

NOTALENT
02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
so ur sitting here typing are crawling all over the floor dying!! what the hell??? :D just giving u a hard time..lol...hope everyones ok.

Phat Matt
02-16-2005, 02:02 PM
take some pics.

nodigg
02-16-2005, 02:02 PM
I see what you mean. My office shack is about a 1/4 mile away so no damge to me or mine.

nodigg
02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
take some pics.
Crap! I'm too old and slow to think! :hammer2:

Slider
02-16-2005, 02:04 PM
go get some pics

WYRD
02-16-2005, 02:04 PM
So my concrete plant is next door to a local fireworks testing/manufacturing site. I was sitting in my office and B A M! , the trailer almost fell off the jacks! Seems one of their buildings blew up. Not sure if anyone was hurt yet. Just called 911 and everyone is crawling all over the place right now. Only a couple of days till the show too.
Some how you always make this about you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn Let someone else have the spotlight............. J/K I hope everyone is ok and they still have some fireworks left for the show!

Phat Matt
02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
I'll think for ya. :D
Rick's thoughts: Take some pics. :D

Party Cat
02-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Rick...if ya put the beer down...the camera will be easier to use.... :hammerhea

phuggit
02-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Is that the place at the east end of Victoria Palms Road?

Havasu Luvr
02-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey Curtis, that would be a BIG YEAP! ! I just talked to Shyrlie in the office. She did not know to much about it but Brian said Fire trucks were everywhere

Mrs.Racer277
02-16-2005, 02:32 PM
OMG how terrible. I hope no one was hurt.

phuggit
02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Damn. We miss all the shiznit. :mad: I always thought it was a little odd to put a fireworks factory at the final approach to a fairly large airport.
Are you guys still going to make it out this weekend?

Havasu Luvr
02-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeap, should be on the road noon friday. You and your better half coming out for the meeting/weekend?

phuggit
02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
We'll be there. I outta here for the day. See you sat.

sigepmock
02-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Damn, I work down the street from a fireworks factory in Rialto. A couple of years back one of the workers decided to commit suicide by lighting himself on fire and running into the bunker. Explosion shook our whole building scarred the hell out of everyone. Hope everyone's alright.
Curtis I was thinking the same thing....I hope our spots are still there...
Chris

LHC30Victory
02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
OMG how terrible. I hope no one was hurt.
Yeah! and I hope the show is still on for Sat night :jawdrop:

roostwear
02-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I suspect you just saw the show.......

Garrddogg
02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
???? :D

nodigg
02-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Victoria Farms Road, yup!

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
02-16-2005, 07:12 PM
So di u take pix????? :notam: :p J/K.............. I hope everyone's O.K.

nodigg
02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Trying to up load now but...seems to be bogged down. :messedup:

H20Advantage
02-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Heres the story:
'Lucky' man escapes blast: Man burned as black powder explodes; fire consumes building
BY MARK HALL
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:14 PM MST
News-Herald Photo/L.J. Frink Desert Hills Fire Department Capt. Bill Weber, middle, looks over the burning remains of a small structure that was destroyed in the fireworks-making accident. He is joined by members of Western Pyrotechnic Association, including John Darson, right, who was burned in the accident.
A California man narrowly escaped an explosion that ripped through a small building Wednesday afternoon at the Havasu Pyrotechnics facility on Victoria Farms Road.
John "Bill" William Darson of Walnut Creek was inside the structure weighing a type of finely ground black powder explosive when the material flashed in his face. He quickly turned his head away from the flash and ran outside when a five-gallon plastic bucket filled with the material blew up behind him, consuming the building.
"It was an unfortunate accident," Darson said. "I was lucky to get out of the building."
Fire officials at the scene said Darson suffered first- and second- degree burns on his arm. The hair on the back and front of his head was also singed.
Tom Hutter, an investigator for the Lake Havasu City Fire Department, said he believes that by using a metal scoop to transfer black powder from the plastic bucket and pour it into a metal bucket that was sitting on the scale, Darson created a static charge that ignited the powder.
"That was all it took," Hutter said. "He's very lucky to have been outside the building when it happened."
Brett Valory, who was one of three other people at the scene, was inside another structure about 100 feet away when he saw a 25-foot fireball erupt from Darson's building. He said he was relieved when he saw his friend walking away mostly unscathed.
"I can't believe he got out when he did," Valory said.
The four Californians, members of the Western Pyrotechnic Association, were at the facility preparing some fireworks for the Winterblast event at SARA Park this weekend. Valory said he didn't think the accident would have any impact on the event.
Desert Hills Fire Department was first on the scene not long after the call was made at 2:27 p.m. The Lake Havasu City Fire Department reported a short time later.
Officials opted to let the fire burn itself out for safety reasons, as it posed no risk to nearby structures. The building was reduced to a pile of ash and rubble that burned for well over an hour.
No other people were injured in the accident. The Mohave County Sheriff's Office blocked the road at both ends shortly after fire authorities arrived.
You may contact the reporter at
mhall@havasunews.com.

Phat Matt
02-16-2005, 08:41 PM
No other people were injured in the accident, however Nodigg was seen running from the scene with a handfull of illegal fireworks. The Mohave County Sheriff's Office blocked the road at both ends shortly after fire authorities arrived.
You may contact the reporter at
mhall@havasunews.com.

LHC30Victory
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey PM whatcha trying to start here/??

Phat Matt
02-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey PM whatcha trying to start here/??
A little mischief maybe? :hammer2: :D
Are you guys ready for another night on the town? You know in December you went to 2 different nightclubs in one week! :D

91nordic29
02-20-2005, 09:06 PM
come on now, rick..... you can fool some of the people some of the time but...
he is being WAYYYYY to modest!!!
:p :p :cool:

RiverRatMike
02-20-2005, 11:46 PM
took this photo Sunday night. That firework show was way off the hook!!!! Amazing stuff! Loved it!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4463P1010600.JPG

nodigg
03-11-2005, 11:47 AM
And sometimes they look like this.....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1865fireworks_explosion_004.jpg