PDA

View Full Version : Markel Insurance

LAKEMAN
02-17-2005, 05:55 AM
I just received my renewal notice from Markel.I did not even want to open it up.For the last two years the premium for a 2003 lavey 27' sabre cat,575sci,replacement cost of $112,000,500,00 liiability w/ a 4 month layup i was paying $2,880.00.Well my renewal for this year is $2,520 WTF.After reading some other posts,i thought i would get a $1000.00 bump.Is it my age (45)or am i just lucky (i will take it).Has this happen with anyone else with Markel.

Reaper1
02-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Don't question it. ;) I guess they are trying to rip you off more gently.

TOBTEK
02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
" D. F. I " DONT FIGHT IT :D That saying also applies when you see a super hot girl with a "TOOL"/ "DORK" for a boyfriend :rolleyes:
Congrat's on the only reasonable INS quote I've seen in a long time.

6 Dollar Boat
02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
I hope I am so lucky... :D :mad:

Mr. Science
02-17-2005, 08:14 AM
MARKEL was just about the only game in town with insurancing performance cats last year......they got ALL the business from companies who stopped insuring cats.......welll things are turning a bit.......a few more players have entered the cat insurance arena to grab extra business...especially the over 40 YO crowd who tend to be a bit more responsilble...(at least to the insurance companies anyway). SO....I think the trend is reversing because of market share and competition for more customers....many of the boat companies want more clients because of the Florida hurricane payouts.......lots paid out....less comming in....... :D

Steamin' Rice
02-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds like a good quote.. I am paying $2700 per year through ACE for a 34' V-bottom!! :eat:

BoatFloating
02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
I just received my renewal notice from Markel.I did not even want to open it up.For the last two years the premium for a 2003 lavey 27' sabre cat,575sci,replacement cost of $112,000,500,00 liiability w/ a 4 month layup i was paying $2,880.00.Well my renewal for this year is $2,520 WTF.After reading some other posts,i thought i would get a $1000.00 bump.Is it my age (45)or am i just lucky (i will take it).Has this happen with anyone else with Markel.
Call them and tell them you won't stand for it and offer to pay $1000 extra. As Mr Science said competion is a good thing for rates.... Good news to hear....

havaduner
02-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Mine dropped $300.00 as well for the year ( I too was expecting a increase)
I aint questioning it!!
I also received a quote, unsolicted, that was over $5000.00, with a note, that the broker looked forward to working with me. It was good for a laugh, then I shredded it!

LAVEYSABRE575
02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
dave thanks for pumping me up with the ins. if mine comes back with an increase ill be crapped out no tickets and 38......are you going out this wkend....derek

Charley
02-17-2005, 10:22 AM
specially the over 40 YO crowd who tend to be a bit more responsilble..
Oh goody I have a year left before i have to grow up
:p

al cole'holic
02-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I brought my Suburban to Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago to show it (it's for sale shameless *SPAM*) to a guy who is on this board and he blew me away when he said his insurance was under $600 for the year for a 25 or 26 Daytona and I think it is blown! I don't remember his screename but his name is Les, maybe someone has more info...?

cjordan
02-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I brought my Suburban to Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago to show it (it's for sale shameless *SPAM*) to a guy who is on this board and he blew me away when he said his insurance was under $600 for the year for a 25 or 26 Daytona and I think it is blown! I don't remember his screename but his name is Les, maybe someone has more info...?
Some people are still sliding them through....not sure some of the co's are aware of what they're insuring :rolleyes: I also think some people who've had their boats with the same co's for 4 or 5 yrs (before the crackdown) with no claims are getting by also.... :cool:

Reaper1
02-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I think his screen name is Zargo or something like that. 25' Daytona Walk through open bow with 700 horse Phaff motor.

LAKEMAN
02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
HELL know i will not question it.Every year when the renewal comes my wife gets pissed off and tells me we should sell the boat (not going to happen).I do think someone who has owned a boat for over 25 years should get a break,iperformance or not.Derek,I went last weekend.It is my daughters 16 b-day saturday.I guess the party is at my house this weekend.I will be there next weekend.Have fun this weekend. Thanks.

Jordy
02-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Some things you just don't ask why about. ;) :D

don johnson
02-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I could insure my Daytona for that price if I misrepresent the HP and do not claim blowers.
Trust me that this guy is misrepresenting his blown tunnel to get a price like that for his insurance!
That is dangerous stuff! In an accident the insurance company can elect to deny a claim due to misrepresentation. It is clearly spelled out in every high performance boat policy. Worst part is if an accident should involve an injury and liability issues this guy is all alone in the cheap seats, the insurance company WILL deny the claim for misrepresentation.
Not worth it in my opinion. If you step up to a tunnel with big HP then you should be in a position financially to protect yourself and others. If you cannot afford the insurance, don't buy the boat!

al cole'holic
02-17-2005, 03:07 PM
..dude wasn't misrepresenting anything, someone on this board knows who he is. His buddy is good friends with Dustin @ Whipple, he drives a black Whippled Suburban...he's got Nick Nolte's mug shot in his avatar...
I could insure my Daytona for that price if I misrepresent the HP and do not claim blowers.
Trust me that this guy is misrepresenting his blown tunnel to get a price like that for his insurance!
That is dangerous stuff! In an accident the insurance company can elect to deny a claim due to misrepresentation. It is clearly spelled out in every high performance boat policy. Worst part is if an accident should involve an injury and liability issues this guy is all alone in the cheap seats, the insurance company WILL deny the claim for misrepresentation.
Not worth it in my opinion. If you step up to a tunnel with big HP then you should be in a position financially to protect yourself and others. If you cannot afford the insurance, don't buy the boat!

don johnson
02-17-2005, 03:11 PM
..dude wasn't misrepresenting anything, someone on this board knows who he is. His buddy is good friends with Dustin @ Whipple, he drives a black Whippled Suburban...he's got Nick Nolte's mug shot in his avatar...
I will bet money that his insurance company does not know he has a blown 700 HP motor in that boat if he is insured conventionally.
The only way he has this kind of rate and is not misrepresenting the boat is if he owns a private business and he ran the insurance as a part of his business insurance. I have friends that have been successful doing that but they have some big time business policies and call in a chip with their agent to write it!

Jrocket
02-17-2005, 04:46 PM
under $600 for the year for a 25 or 26 Daytona and I think it is blown! I don't remember his screename but his name is Les, maybe someone has more info...?
That would be hard to believe.Mine is 5 times that much and no blower and a long lay up too top it off.Theres 3 ways to do insurance.
1.Lie your ass off and hope nothing happens.
2.Have just enough to what the law or finance company wants.
3.Pass out the ass.
I'll take #3 and bitch about it every time my renewal shows up.But if something does happen,Im fully covered and plenty of it.Might even make a buck or two!

Charley
02-17-2005, 07:33 PM
I have a friend who has a 25 dayton 700hp and is payin like $1000 a year... same guy he has all his other insurance through business home etc.... It's my impression that agents have to carry thier own insurance to cover if the screw up on a policy... anyone know if thats truE?

al cole'holic
02-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a friend who has a 25 dayton 700hp and is payin like $1000 a year... same guy he has all his other insurance through business home etc.... It's my impression that agents have to carry thier own insurance to cover if the screw up on a policy... anyone know if thats truE?
..what kind of agents??
I wish someone would chime in who knows Les or himself to put the word down. I know what he said and I questioned it pretty damn thorough about his insurance, and like I said I couldn't believe it myself.

Charley
02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
..what kind of agents??
you know an insurance agent ..... :wink:

al cole'holic
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
you know an insurance agent ..... :wink:
Wasn't quite clear on what kind of agents you were talking about that have to insure themselves...??...makes you wonder who the hell an insurance agent would get their own insurance through if they do have to :D
..anyway this dude is in the mortgage field, no mention of business blanket policy that covered his boat under it.

Jrocket
02-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Here Al...put your mind to ease..
ZSARGO (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40957)

pussycat
02-17-2005, 09:35 PM
30 ft. Spectre, twin 300's $650 a year no layup. I'v had the insurance for three years with guaranteed replacement.

Jrocket
02-17-2005, 09:45 PM
30 ft. Spectre, twin 300's $650 a year no layup. I'v had the insurance for three years with guaranteed replacement.
Im jealous,whos it through?

Charley
02-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Im jealous,whos it through?
Bling :220v:

Dave C
02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I get mine legally insured but they tell me they won't insure you so-cal guys for some reason. Sounds like discrimination to me. ;)
No fibbing to them either because the underwriter looked up the boat on the web.
25 Daytona, 496HO. no layup either. $500.
They tell me that if I put a blower on it, then its a no go. So I'm stuck with no H.P.
:hammer2:
I talked to a lot of companies that will not under any circumstance insure this boat. :burningm: