PDA

View Full Version : When will the new tunnels ........

Squirtin Thunder
02-17-2005, 09:16 AM
When will the new state of the art tunnel jets be formated and then start working on the new molds ???
I know that if someone were to spend some time on the comp redesigning the tunnel they could pick up a few mph and some et.
I think that with todays composit construction a much safer boat can be made.
Jim

pops1
02-17-2005, 10:31 AM
When will the new state of the art tunnel jets be formated and then start working on the new molds ???
I know that if someone were to spend some time on the comp redesigning the tunnel they could pick up a few mph and some et.
JimPapp has composite units out now -Phil Roshem Just set a new record in one @ world finals, Dan Kirkman-Awesome Toy has one and several others out there!

Mrs. Psycho Squid
02-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Don't get me started on "state of the art" composite construction. Been there - done that. I'll stick to fiberglass.

moneysucker
02-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Don't worry ST, I have some drawings on Bar napkins and I am fabing a mold in my hotel room for a new tunnel. The question is, How am I going to get it out?

Norseman
02-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Don't worry ST, I have some drawings on Bar napkins and I am fabing a mold in my hotel room for a new tunnel. The question is, How am I going to get it out?
Same as Johnny Cash, One piece at a time.......

Nucking futs
02-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Must stink like hell in your room with all the tooling Gell and resins! No wonder you don't think right............. :shift:
Why don't you ask the Hotel if they have a storage shed of some kind you could use? Or wait, how about you make another leantoo with tarps and flood lights for the late night redesigns.
You must be staying at a Holiday Inn ........................................ :sleeping:

HammerDown
02-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Jim
Heck, Im still waiting for someone to invent a super more efficient Pump!
PS. Phil Roshen is one of our local fellas, (this man knows engines)!
Also a strong member of the DVBRC Delaware valley Boat Racing Club> www.dvbrc.com

Cs19
02-17-2005, 07:33 PM
ST, that would be a really fun project to do in your free time, for a hobby,etc. Not sure about going into the biz though.
How many 19' hotrod river jetboats do you think you could sell per year if you had a new hull design using the new materials?
CS

TRG
02-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't get me started on "state of the art" composite construction. Been there - done that. I'll stick to fiberglass.
Funny!...your signature that is! :p

Mrs. Psycho Squid
02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Funny!...your signature that is! :p
Yeah, I know. I love you too! :D

bp
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Papp has composite units out now -Phil Roshem Just set a new record in one @ world finals, Dan Kirkman-Awesome Toy has one and several others out there!
well that's interesting. the last issue of dragboat review, listing all current ihba records, still lists the comp jet record holder as ron pitts/rich durnill jr. (131) and tim goodwin/rich durnill sr. (8.26) for division 1, and ron pitts/rdjr. (8.42) for division 2 and 3. i did see roeschen make one pass at 8.35, 120s, which would have been a div 2 and 3 record had he backed it up, but i don't know whether or not he made a sufficient run to back it up. considering that phil is running a state of the current art, no expense spared steve schmidt comp engine, and that rich durnill sr. built his own engine in his backyard out of spare parts to set the 8.26 record, and that ronnie builds his own stuff using parts that are basically yesterdays tech to set the records he holds, from a performance perspective i would have to say that roeschen's deal, although a beautiful piece, is still a work in progress. as a comp jet, it has not taken a significant step ahead. it is really too bad that ron was not able to make it to the finals to race phil; it would have been interesting.
additionally, there is another comp jet that only occassionally runs in ca, owned by jim burroughs, that is even quicker, and has run several 8.0s as a legal comp, and has the potential to be quicker yet. a real step up for a cj will be when one is running into the high 7s consistently.

UBFJ #454
02-18-2005, 04:17 AM
Bob -
Phil did make a successful backup run late Saturday ... That's why he wasn't too upset about not winning on Sunday.
I spent some time with Phil at the Finals and we looked over and discussed his boats bottom and its hardware in detail ... I believe with some fine tuning there he could easily knock off a tenth or two, perhaps more ... I got the impression that was what he had planned over the winter break and into this coming year ... Don't know for sure ... Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

UBFJ #454
02-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Jim -
Been thinking on and off today about the Thread you started here ... Not sure just what it is that your asking ... Family Recreational Boats, River/Lake Hot Rods, Race Hulls, etc.? This Thread could develope into quite a discussion on Tunnel Hull Designs, Types of Materials & Fabrication Methods, Their Advantages/Disadvantages, Costs/Benefits, etc., etc., etc... depending where Posters want it to go.
Just curious what you had in mind as to the direction(s) you wanted this Thread to head.

Squirtin Thunder
02-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Jim -
Been thinking on and off today about the Thread you started here ... Not sure just what it is that your asking ... Family Recreational Boats, River/Lake Hot Rods, Race Hulls, etc.? This Thread could develope into quite a discussion on Tunnel Hull Designs, Types of Materials & Fabrication Methods, Their Advantages/Disadvantages, Costs/Benefits, etc., etc., etc... depending where Posters want it to go.
Just curious what you had in mind as to the direction(s) you wanted this Thread to head.
Jak,
You and I have talk for many hours and you know how I feel on single purpose boats, or designs. All the above, I sould be able to by as safe of a boat as anyone. Now also I understand that a races lyup will be lighter. My goal is to see if anyone has ideas. Any ??? All the designs are old. I am thinking of reaserch development racing and family. And having the drive to push it all the way. Who really cares about the 5 year old stuff that is out there it sould be old and out dated two weeks after in hit the water. O shit we are talking boat. I tought this was Nascar for a min.
Damm I am always slipping !!!