PDA

View Full Version : How much water do you run in your headers?

speedaddict
02-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Just curious... do you run just enough to get a fog, and dampen the sound a little? When I open the valve all the way, it seems like they're getting too much, and it's dripping all over.. TIA

Sangster
02-17-2005, 02:30 PM
are you trying to quite it down some or are you trying to pass an inspestion type deal..... :idea: :idea: :idea:

speedaddict
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Oh, no real inspection I guess.. I suppose it's just a muffler vs. hp deal huh? I just do not want to be pumping too much through. I don't know that reversion would be an issue really. Also, how long do you think you could run dry before bluing would become an issue? I imagine the backpressure from the water/steam robs some power. It would be nice to turn it off on speed runs.

Beautiful Noise
02-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Just enough to create a Mist, Rex marine sales jets that you can install right before the water injector lines if you are pushing too much water though them :cool:

speedaddict
02-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Cool.. Mine seems to be more of a fog or steam unless I really open it up. I have a slick little valve that allows me to go from nothing to more than enough.

ssmike
02-17-2005, 05:49 PM
None!

voodooCanoe
02-17-2005, 05:57 PM
None!
Can I get a AMEN brother... C'mon :D

BIGCHRIS
02-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Can I get a AMEN brother... C'mon :D
none, until i get i get checked then i will crack the valve :)

speedaddict
02-17-2005, 07:25 PM
you guys don't see too much bluing when running without water?

GofastRacer
02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
None, zippo, nada and never will!.. :)

speedaddict
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
cool.. well, i've already got a little yellowish tint to the chrome anyway.. I guess I shouldn't worry about it

sifocalpoint
02-17-2005, 07:46 PM
i got 2 small billet valves from this catalog with mine equipment shit in it!! The have small knurled knobs which i have one for each header. I can control the water flow from literally dumping water out , to nothing at all. I dont care if you put a brand new set of headers on a boat and start it for the first time with no water hooked up, you will most certainly get blueing at the very bottom of the pipes which eventually will run up and up as they get hotter. A guy that boats with us here near Pittsburgh has a warhawk picklefork and had the inside of the headers coated. The outside is still bright shiny chrome but the insides protected. I didnt think it would work but it prevented rust, and there was not a touch of blue even at the base of the pipes at the heads!!! And thats with very minimal water flow and often times none at all!! Call Prism Powdercoating, the have a website. They guarantee most of there work and they are very resonably priced.

GofastRacer
02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
you guys don't see too much bluing when running without water?
Nahh not too much :D :D One of these days it's off to to Jet-Hot!.. :smile:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Bassetts1-med.jpg

Kindsvater Flat
02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
You can always tell who the guy is that doesn't run water.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/boatheaders.jpg

speedaddict
02-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Dang, gofast, those are some blue mofo's! :D

fltflyn
02-17-2005, 08:22 PM
you can take an 1/8 inch pipe plug and drill a .070 hole in it. then tap the inside of the #8 male male fitting between your stainless lines and the feed lines. be careful not to go to far. put some red loctite on them and you should be good to go. this has worked for us. you shouldn't have to worry about a valve unless you want to shut it off.

Hud
02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
none!!! Jet Hot & go!!! C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx:

JEA557
02-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Speed, the gate valve is the answer and steaming the water out of your headers is the way to go if you dont want them to look like shit. If you run to much water you will suck water into the motor through the exhaust valves due to the over lap of your cam. Obviously the way to go is the ceramic coating because then you dont have to run any water and no weep hole water in the boat...

voodooCanoe
02-18-2005, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Kindsvater Flat]You can always tell who the guy is that doesn't run water.
Yep, he's the guy in the lead :D

speedaddict
02-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys :)

superdave013
02-18-2005, 08:02 AM
You can always tell who the guy is that doesn't run water.
Yeah, he's the guy with a good leak down.
dry N hot - blue all the way to the tips is how I ran 'em.

Sanger D
02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
I run em dry,sounds better,runs better.just dont run the boat too lean NOT GOOD!!!,for motor or headers they will blue in minutes.remember,GOLD then BLUE,I,ve got two sets ,one for runnin hard and a new set commin from CAPS coating all nice and bitchin for cruisin,and a new set of baffles from paul bassett,some new ones hes been messin with lately,I guess they work really well keeping the noise down and not too much power loss,but water is not near enough to quiet the boat down,iffin you want to go there you need some kind of inserts or mufflers.Its a peice of shit law and so is anyone who inforces it.I,VE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!I don,t care who,s friend of whos or what,if you inforce it,your a dick and a theif!!!RUN EM DRY!!!!!!!

GofastRacer
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Dang, gofast, those are some blue mofo's! :D
Yeah about 12 yrs worth!.LOL.. :D :D

GofastRacer
02-18-2005, 12:13 PM
I run em dry,sounds better,runs better.just dont run the boat too lean NOT GOOD!!!,for motor or headers they will blue in minutes.remember,GOLD then BLUE,I,ve got two sets ,one for runnin hard and a new set commin from CAPS coating all nice and bitchin for cruisin,and a new set of baffles from paul bassett,some new ones hes been messin with lately,I guess they work really well keeping the noise down and not too much power loss,but water is not near enough to quiet the boat down,iffin you want to go there you need some kind of inserts or mufflers.Its a peice of shit law and so is anyone who inforces it.I,VE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!I don,t care who,s friend of whos or what,if you inforce it,your a dick and a theif!!!RUN EM DRY!!!!!!!
:cool: :cool: :D

roseway
02-18-2005, 08:13 PM
NO WATER You can get them ceramic coated in portland for a few hundred
bucks. Run'um dry. C'MON

02-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Headers have water? WTF for? :D :D :D

GofastRacer
02-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Headers have water? WTF for? :D :D :D
Give's us something to talk about!.. :D :D

Sanger D
02-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Two words, CAPS COATING!!!!!,DON the guy who runs the place is one hell of a nice guy and is frickin awsome at coating he can even do em in porcelin.lotsa $$$$ for that but he,ll do a set ofboat headers in cer. for around 280.00 if your a C.V.D.C.A member or 320.00 if your not!!! mine are on there way home, I,ll show ya when I get em1! :cool:
Sanger D