PDA

View Full Version : Little League time again

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Who else here is involved in Little League?
Our league just drafted teams last night. Practices will start next week.
It's gonna be fun, but a long season yet to come.

Holland
02-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I Coach Majors... Our drafts were rained out last weekend... We are supposed to finish this weekend but looks like rain again. Soccer allstars ended two sundays ago, and last saturday Baseball... No breaks. I wouldnt have it any other way though...

HOOTER SLED-
02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
My boys play Pony Baseball. We started about 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to a good season.

Flying Tiger
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Finished 2 championship seasons last year.
One manager handed out a sheet what he expected of the kids and parents and it set a good standard for the season.
I dunno if you have a Chuy's Baja Broiler near where you are.
They are always good for full sponsorship money, and gifts for auctions and raffles helping the team/league.
Have fun. Soon the kids will outgrow it and you'll just be in their way like me.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
we use to coach for our kids team when they played. They are just not into it anymore. :wink:

Not Twice
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Still playing All-Star soccer (and coaching), baseball and softball started 3 wees ago (and coaching). Never seems to be and end. But someday soon it will all be gone and the wife and I won't have anything to do...NOT. It will sure be fun to start heading for the lakes and rivers in late April and May... Not having to wait for sport to complete in June.

HCS
02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Yep. My kids first team meeting is Saturday. Personally I can't wait.

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 05:17 PM
I manage a majors baseball team. Last year we played tournament of Champions and allstars thru August then winter ball started in late September and ran thru Thanksgiving. It's lot's of work but a ton of fun.
Playing with the kids is the fun part, dealing with the parents is a whole different matter. The politics in kids sports make the whole Bush vs Kerry election seem like childs play. :2purples:

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
I manage a majors baseball team. Last year we played tournament of Champions and allstars thru August then winter ball started in late September and ran thru Thanksgiving. It's lot's of work but a ton of fun.
Playing with the kids is the fun part, dealing with the parents is a whole different matter. The politics in kids sports make the whole Bush vs Kerry election seem like childs play. :2purples:
I agree.. we use to get the parents that would drop their kids off.. then show back up just before practice was over and try to coach the kids.. we use to hand them the clip board and whistle.. that sure shut most of them up. I can go on and on. But I am sure you and most know what goes on with the I know it alls. :wink:

HCS
02-17-2005, 05:25 PM
35 years ago when I played little league baseball parents were out of control. :argue:
Now I get to experience the new age. :220v:

Bank Boy
02-17-2005, 05:28 PM
I am managing my sons single A team (3 practices so far) and my daughters t-ball softball team (5 practice so far). The girls are way better listeners.

HCS
02-17-2005, 05:35 PM
I am managing my sons single A team (3 practices so far) and my daughters t-ball softball team (5 practice so far). The girls are way better listeners.
Until they grow up!!!

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Untill they grow up!!!
You must know my wife. :D

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I agree.. we use to get the parents that would drop their kids off.. then show back up just before practice was over and try to coach the kids.. we use to hand them the clip board and whistle.. that sure shut most of them up. I can go on and on. But I am sure you and most know what goes on with the I know it alls. :wink:
Yep, some parents just figure I'm a daycare service watching their kids a couple of days a week. They drop them and run then they show up after practice late to pick them up. I never just leave the kids at the field after practice so one day after waiting around about 30 minutes in the dark the mother shows up and I talked to her about being late. She told me to just leave her kid there and that she would pick him up eventually. :2purples: I couldn't believe she cared so little for the safety of this 10 year old kid.
I've also had the parents that try to coach, but are telling kids the wrong things. I then have to spend time fixing what the parent screwed up. Oh well, at least they are there and showing an interest in what their kids are doing.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Yep, some parents just figure I'm a daycare service watching their kids a couple of days a week. They drop them and run then they show up after practice late to pick them up. I never just leave the kids at the field after practice so one day after waiting around about 30 minutes in the dark the mother shows up and I talked to her about being late. She told me to just leave her kid there and that she would pick him up eventually. :2purples: I couldn't believe she cared so little for the safety of this 10 year old kid.
I've also had the parents that try to coach, but are telling kids the wrong things. I then have to spend time fixing what the parent screwed up. Oh well, at least they are there and showing an interest in what their kids are doing.
you are right. some parents won't even drop them off.. there were a few we never saw. the kid would take the bus.. :2purples: as long as the kids are having fun and they are safe. that's all that counts. :wink:

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Good point.
Love your signature pic.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Good point.
Love your signature pic.
Thank You.. She is my inperation to work out. :220v: :p :p

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 06:16 PM
She inspires me to do things too.
Working out is not one of them. :p

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-17-2005, 06:22 PM
She inspires me to do things too.
Working out is not one of them. :p
LMAO!! :D :D

ahhell
02-17-2005, 06:23 PM
just waiting for the call..youngest son is in last year of juniors...(pony league) and hoping for the high school thing next year...if not , 2 years of seniors...I LOVE IT..I still throw batting practice...for 5-6 batters, before the arm goes away...damn gravity :burningm:

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Getting old sucks.
After the first few practices, my arm does OK. Just need to get it stretched out good. Icy Hot and Ben Gay are now my friends too. :crossx:

JetBoatRich
02-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Coach's meeting on the 26th :idea: then the fun start :hammer2:

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
OMG!!!! I sooooo know some of these parents!!!! I have two boys...10yr old and 5yr old, I still won't leave my son's practice!!! I get there he gets out so does my 5yr old and my self...........we stay the whole practice, freezing or boiling hot weather, we stay!!! Maybe I'm a worrie wart but you never know what could happen???? I even go as far as to make sure my 5yr olds T-Ball prac. is on diff. days so I'm always there. OH, and the know it alls!!!!! I'm not even going to start with those, they drive me NUTS!!!! I just want to tell them "Just shut up!!! Your ruining it for your child!!"
We've already had a few practices........I can't wait for the games!!!! I'm also Team Mom and Picture Mom For my boy's :D I love doing this stuff with them!!!!

rccobra
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
We are just having sign ups this week for little league. Still to cold here to be doing any outside practice. And people out here wonder why when teams out here travel west get their butts kicked by the California teams.
My sons High School is having tryouts next week. Can't wait.................