PDA

View Full Version : attaching safety chains?

wrenchdaddy
02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
My trailer needs safety chains but Im not exactly sure if there was a proper way to mount them to the trailer. I was thinking just getting two big bolts, one for each side and bolting the chains the the tongue, I don't have a welder or anything so are there any other options?

Heatseeker
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
My chain is welded to the trailer, but I think a long through bolt would work too.

Brian Ray
02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
My chain is welded to the trailer, but I think a long through bolt would work too.
I second that....just use a grade 8 bolt. :wink:

Taylor LP
02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
JMO, but I would pay someone a couple bucks to have the links welded to the trailer. Couldn't cost that much.
Any holes drilled in the tounge would be right where the tounge bends or breaks if any kind of drama happens. Also, I would be a great place for cracks to start.

BLEWBAYOU1
02-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I use coated coiled cables they always stay snug and out of the way.I'm sure you already know this but, be sure to always cross your chains or cables when attaching them to the tow rig. If the hitch was to come off it will stay straight behind you.(hopefully) It's also the law! :messedup:
Brian :supp:

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 06:29 PM
I use the cables too, they are attached to a bolt that goes through the rest on the front of the trailer.
The rubber/plastic coating on them saves the paint on the tongue of the trailer and the coils keep them from dragging on the ground.
Overall, much better than chains.

wrenchdaddy
02-17-2005, 07:03 PM
where could i get cables and how big should I get???

Mohavekid
02-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Check with a local trailer or RV shop.
My cables are about 3/8 thick.

Squirtin Thunder
02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Ya know it is always cool to see all the sparks that come off the safety chains when someone doesn't really care enough to make them the right length. Also when they expect them to work after the chain has drug on the ground for 20 years.
Jim

Danhercules
02-17-2005, 07:53 PM
CHAINS? I an A chain on mine. Time to get another one.

DEL51
02-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey Dan, we see the hercules motor. It is nice. but all the time?

Danhercules
02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Your right. I have not changed it in a long time.

victorfb
02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
hey dan, this thread is about trailer chains, not the ball and chain. :smile:
nice car by the way. didnt we see one of those on Barret Jackson go for like $350K? that would buy you alot of boat motors. :rolleyes:

BLEWBAYOU1
02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I bought my coiled coated cable at Lowe's next to the locks. I ran it around the trailer tonge and through the two lifting handles and then clamped the cable together with a wire rope clip, that leaves you with two loop ends. Then attach a heavy duty latch on each end.
Brian :cool:

Greaser
02-22-2005, 09:41 AM
My trailer needs safety chains but Im not exactly sure if there was a proper way to mount them to the trailer. I was thinking just getting two big bolts, one for each side and bolting the chains the the tongue, I don't have a welder or anything so are there any other options?
I have a welder, and Caldwell isnt that far from you. Just bring it by, and we'll get it welded up for ya. :shift:

wrenchdaddy
02-22-2005, 12:13 PM
The problem is taht tyhe boat is back in houston, i don;t want to tow it all the way up here without chains so whatever Im gonna do I have to do it at the house down there. Thanks for the advice guys

victorfb
02-22-2005, 12:32 PM
to get it back home, use two chains and a couple threaded links. wrap each chain around each rail were they connect at the tongue. use the threaded link to secure the chain around the rail and another at the reciver attachment hooks. make sure you cross the chains underneath the hitch leaving enough slack to turn, but not so much that it can drag. when you get home have each chain welded to each side of the tongue.
as for cables, i dont like them especially the coiled ones. yes they keep themselves from draging but if in the unfortunate occurs and the trailer detaches from the hitch the cables will then be too long to help support the tongue from dragging behind the tow vehicle. with this extra length it allows the trailer to get even more out of control and if the tongue catches a dip or something in the road before you can slow down you can kiss them cables and the boat good bye. remember too that with the trailer detached from the vehicle, the tongue will go under the vehicle and nose of the boat will slam the back of it while you try and stop. having the chains crossed will most likely catch the detached tongue and help carry it untill you can slow/stop and fix the problem.

oldbuck40
02-22-2005, 12:44 PM
i had my 18' taylor come unhitched in a 30mph zone with chains and i didnt even know it till i looked in the rearview and noticed the o/t headers were pointing upwards and then it hit me!!! i slowed to a stop got out exspecting the worse,,the tounge never hit the ground and the boat never went under the truck! careful planning on the length of your chains will save you more than anything,,,do it right the first time!!!!

Greaser
02-23-2005, 09:49 AM
i had my 18' taylor come unhitched in a 30mph zone with chains and i didnt even know it till i looked in the rearview and noticed the o/t headers were pointing upwards and then it hit me!!! i slowed to a stop got out exspecting the worse,,the tounge never hit the ground and the boat never went under the truck! careful planning on the length of your chains will save you more than anything,,,do it right the first time!!!!
Damn, you got lucky :2purples:

wrenchdaddy
02-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Did the tongue come off the ball or did the reciever pin fall out and then the whole reciever came out?

oldbuck40
02-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Damn, you got lucky :2purples:well you know how it is when you drive a BIG DODGE 4x4 haha yea i was very lucky,just happened that the chains were the exact length when i bought the boat,,did you know that the black and whites are starting to look at every trailer to see if you have chains!!! i've been looked at several times while going down the hwy and they allways slow down and look at the hitch and chains,,i think someone told me its a $250. fine for not having chains.

oldbuck40
02-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Did the tongue come off the ball or did the reciever pin fall out and then the whole reciever came out?well i hate to say it but you know what can happen when you get in a hurry,,i simply stoped in the middle of hooking up and did something else and forgot to latch it,,it could have cost me a bunch of trouble

Greaser
02-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Yea, I noticed the dps always look at my boat when I go by also. One even came up beside me and drove right beside me looking at the trailor. At first I thought he was just checking out the boat, since it looks so damn good :hammerhea lol

Brian Ray
02-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Yea, I noticed the dps always look at my boat when I go by also. One even came up beside me and drove right beside me looking at the trailor. At first I thought he was just checking out the boat, since it looks so damn good :hammerhea lol
I had a CHP do the same thing to me as we were heading out to Lake Mead....I thought he was checking out the boat but I'm sure he was looking to make sure everything was in order. :wink: