PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoating the floor

sifocalpoint
02-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Im carpeting my schiada, but wanted to redo just the section between the stringers. Its not in bad shape but i want it to look prestine. Could i spray gelcoat on it? Or would it be easier to sand it down and re clear it? Whats cheap and works well?? I just want the area under the motor and gearbox to look nice.

fltflyn
02-17-2005, 08:30 PM
mabey try buffing? or mabey to far gone...

Kurtis500
02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Spray clear gel.

TRG
02-18-2005, 08:17 PM
gel is alot of work,...why not just go with a dura-tech clear top cote, all you'd have to do is catalyze and spray, it already has a drying agent in it, there is no need for a surfacing agent (like gel)
just my $.02
P.S. through rev-chem (bloomington ca) you can mail order product
P.S.S. if you want color in the bilge, all you need to do is gel it the color desired, then use the clear top cote!
Todd

Morg
02-18-2005, 08:35 PM
gel is alot of work,...why not just go with a dura-tech clear top cote, all you'd have to do is catalyze and spray, it already has a drying agent in it, there is no need for a surfacing agent (like gel)
just my $.02
P.S.S. if you want color in the bilge, all you need to do is gel it the color desired, then use the clear top cote!
Todd
Word up.
dura-tech works really nice. A little wet sanding & polish when youre done makes it ever so nice.

sifocalpoint
02-18-2005, 11:57 PM
How do i prep the floor for this duratech? Do i spray it from the spray gun? Do i need a special nozzle of some type. My plans were to get a cheap spray gun from the local parts store and use it for whatever i put on the floor. If i use any of dads sata jet guns he will wring my neck.
How does it lay down?
Is it expensive?
Does it go on real thick?
Thanks Guys

sifocalpoint
02-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Where can i get this dura-tech???????

Sanger D
02-19-2005, 04:49 PM
I hope you are gonna do my sanger when the time comes,I know how good you are so don,t try to back out or give me any excuses!!! :rollside: :rollside:
Sanger D

Highlimit9000
02-19-2005, 09:00 PM
just my $.02
Todd
This Is Dura Tec!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Gauges6.JPG

Highlimit9000
02-19-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199IMG_0016.JPG

sifocalpoint
02-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Wow i like that alot, where do i get it and is it a bitch to spray??
Is the prep work just like paint??

EXTREMEBOATS
02-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Mike got his from a local dealer but this is the manufacterer - Hawkeye Ind., Inc.
404-977-3336
You will have to find a local distributer but this should point you in the right direction. As for working with it ... HVLP guns or a pressure pot system with a large tip works just fine. I don't know about reducing but they should be able to tell you. I usually use the primers but they are the POOPOO!!! :p :supp: :clover:

Kurtis500
02-20-2005, 08:00 AM
just my $.02
Todd
Is Duratec a paint?
Clear gel is the same product as the resin on your boat floor. Same process as paint, you catalyze it, put a few drops of waxing agent ONLY if the gel doesn't have it already, and shoot. If you WANT to, you can cover with some dirt cheap PVA right aftwerwards, put it in the sun, and be fully done in an hour. Lays WAY thicker than paint and is the same material your boat resin is derived from.

TRG
02-21-2005, 06:49 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199IMG_0016.JPG
corleone, is your floor/transom done in a single color or is it gel with the dura-tech clear for a top cote?
Looks very nice!
Sanger D, all you have to do is call (626-991-9031)
thanks!
Todd

TRG
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Is Duratec a paint?
Clear gel is the same product as the resin on your boat floor. Same process as paint, you catalyze it, put a few drops of waxing agent ONLY if the gel doesn't have it already, and shoot. If you WANT to, you can cover with some dirt cheap PVA right aftwerwards, put it in the sun, and be fully done in an hour. Lays WAY thicker than paint and is the same material your boat resin is derived from.
kurtis500, dura-tech also has a prod. called "clear additive" (sorry not to have a pt#) but you can just add it to your gel for a shiny finish, i do not like the prod. only because of the amt. of thinning you have to do just to make it spray like the dura-tech clear then you will have the problem with it being very transparent,....ive found that it is the most easiest just to get the color down in gel, pull your tape wait an hour or so then just lay down the dura-tech clear top cote, if the environment is clean you will prob. not have much in the way of w/s and buff!
Todd

Sangster
02-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Remember... If you do decide to Gel-Coat first, then spray with Duratech...Do Not use a surfacing agent with the gel-coat.....Duratech will not adhere to wax or surfacing agents..But the Duratech will seal the gel-coat...... :mix: :mix: :mix:

TRG
02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Remember... If you do decide to Gel-Coat first, then spray with Duratech...Do Not use a surfacing agent with the gel-coat.....Duratech will not adhere to wax or surfacing agents..But the Duratech will seal the gel-coat...... :mix: :mix: :mix:
Good lookin out sangster!

TRG
02-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Sangster, went to visit Mike Ramirez at the shop, saw the floor in the shop boat (hondo) nice job!
Todd

sifocalpoint
02-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I just wanted to back the inside part of the transom, the stringers and the area between the stringers. just up to a certain point . Where the fiberglass is on the stringers, its rough. Im not going to be super anl, but does the gel cover im perfections very well.
Let me get this right....??
First get the gel and whatever is a required to spray it, i need pruple, so lets say i spray the gel.............NEXT.....i let it dry........then spray this clear duratec substance, but i have to make sure theres no surfacing agent in the gel. Is this correct. Do i wet sand the gel first before spraying the duratec?? Im sorry guys but im new to this. I appreciate the help.
Where is the best places to get gelcoat, do you pick colors like you pick paint colors??

Sangster
02-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Sangster, went to visit Mike Ramirez at the shop, saw the floor in the shop boat (hondo) nice job!
Todd
That's gonna' be a Kick-Ass Hondo...Can't wait to see it complete....The floor still needed to be Scuff-sanded & re sprayed with a final coat of Duratech when it left here.... ;) ;) ;)

Sangster
02-21-2005, 09:49 PM
I just wanted to back the inside part of the transom, the stringers and the area between the stringers. just up to a certain point . Where the fiberglass is on the stringers, its rough. Im not going to be super anl, but does the gel cover im perfections very well.
Let me get this right....??
First get the gel and whatever is a required to spray it, i need pruple, so lets say i spray the gel.............NEXT.....i let it dry........then spray this clear duratec substance, but i have to make sure theres no surfacing agent in the gel. Is this correct. Do i wet sand the gel first before spraying the duratec?? Im sorry guys but im new to this. I appreciate the help.
Where is the best places to get gelcoat, do you pick colors like you pick paint colors??
You can Sand everything down with 80grit.....Clean to dust free condition.. Tape off area to be gelled.. Use "White" Gelcoat ( I would mix a gallon ) with whatever pigment/color desired....Be sure to mix very well..... Next, add some hardner to a Quart of the colored gel....There is no reason to use a spray gun unless you have experince with one...They can get Messy..Use a Finish paint roller...... ( they can be found at most hardware stores..) You will need (4) of them..Add hardner and Roll the first Quart on, let it Tack-up & repeat till you are sure everything is coated well...Try to keep runs to a minimum...Then it time to spray the Duratech top coat....This must be sprayed..The instructions are on the can and are pretty explicit..The trick is to give it a nice even wet coat of duratech over the Gelled area...Let it sit 24 hours and lightly sand any runs out with 120grit, clean & spray another light coat over it........You should have a beautiful floor, stringers & transom in your own Custom Color......Good Luck with it......It's really not that hard to do........ ;) ;) ;)

TRG
02-21-2005, 10:36 PM
That's gonna' be a Kick-Ass Hondo...Can't wait to see it complete....The floor still needed to be Scuff-sanded & re sprayed with a final coat of Duratech when it left here.... ;) ;) ;)
The floor is still in the same cond. as it was when it left you!

Sangster
02-21-2005, 10:43 PM
:idea: :idea: :idea:

sifocalpoint
02-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Here in Pennsylvania the weather is fairly cold, ill be working in a garage of course but the garage is also cold. Should i hold off till spring to do the floor for a better cure??

Sangster
02-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Here in Pennsylvania the weather is fairly cold, ill be working in a garage of course but the garage is also cold. Should i hold off till spring to do the floor for a better cure??
I would.. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Kurtis500
02-22-2005, 07:27 AM
kurtis500, dura-tech also has a prod. called "clear additive" (sorry not to have a pt#) but you can just add it to your gel for a shiny finish, i do not like the prod. only because of the amt. of thinning you have to do just to make it spray like the dura-tech clear then you will have the problem with it being very transparent,....ive found that it is the most easiest just to get the color down in gel, pull your tape wait an hour or so then just lay down the dura-tech clear top cote, if the environment is clean you will prob. not have much in the way of w/s and buff!
Todd
Hmmm. I'm still not understanding what Dura-tec is. If it mixes with gel, is it a saturated or unsaturated resin base product?
Clear gel shoots easily and smoothly if its thinned with a touch with acetone. I have shot jugs of clear this way as a clear paint surface with a perfect shine. I have never rolled or brushed on gel. A gravity or siphon fed cup gun works fine everytime. If thinning with acetone, you dont loose the shore harness once finished, with styrene as a thinner, I'm told you do but I've never tried it. You use very little acetone to make it work, and it evaporates off immediatly. This goes for using the low-HAP products that come with a higher viscosity due to the low styrene content. Without even using a gelcoat, regular resin can be loaded into a cup gun and shot onto the floor itself leaving the same finish and product that was probably originally on there. The clear gel will shine up as good as any paint. If thinned to a sweet spot, you can layer the gel down as both a primer filler and the smooth non-orange peeled top coat all at once. Theres no waiting between coats, just keep layering. The same goes for color if you lay down a red or whatever. Once its down, it should be buffed and polished and have no need for a clear coat. Having 15-20 mills of gel down, and then covering it with 3-5 mills of clear.....??????...... I'm not criticizing, I just dont understand the extra step and product..(if gel is being used in the first place)

Sangster
02-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Kurtis 500.....Duratech / Top Coat works alot like a Poly Clearcoat..The deal with Duratech Top Coat is by far more Durable, hence the name..Duratech.. It is by far more Scratch resistant...Give it a try on your next floor job..I think you'll be suprised....... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Highlimit9000
02-22-2005, 08:09 AM
corleone, is your floor/transom done in a single color or is it gel with the dura-tech clear for a top cote?
Looks very nice!
Sanger D, all you have to do is call (626-991-9031)
thanks!
Todd
Todd, from what I was told, as I did not do the work. It is Gel coated on bottom, blocked and sanded with a Base coat of Yellow and then Clear coat on top. It is not Dura-Tech as I stated earlier, I thought it was, but Steve at Fiberglass Reformations was worried about it changing colors with the Dura-Tech so he didnt use it. He also said doing it this way would be easier to fix any Scratches or dings if they should arise...Take care John...

Kurtis500
02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
AAAHHHHAAAA!!!!! I just got it, Dura-tec is actually Duratec and manufactured and distributed by Hawkeye industries. Now I know what stuff we are talking about.
This product has been around for over 20 years. I just talked to my friend who has been using it for 20 years himself. This coating is a common coating for furniture and fixtures and the like. The best way to describe it as the Hawkeye rep did, is as a middle ground between Imron paint and Gelcoat. Its thinner than gelcoat, yet thicker than paint. More scratch resistant than Imron and approaching the hardness of gelcoat. A good place to visualize the Duratec gloss finish is that of a Fender guitar, thats what its used on. It is a polyester based chemical. I'm more familiar with thier vinyl ester based primer products for in mold coatings. Instead of using regular gelcoat, you shoot thier primer (a gelcoat too) and once the part is pulled, it has less porosity on the average and needs no primer before painting. Slick stuff. They also sell a resurfacing mold coating for worn or cracked molds. Cincinnati Fiberglass has some articles praising the resurfacing agent as a mold life extender. Duratec makes some good products to help out with the resin/gelcoat/mold applications, but they aren't made to replace either one except the primer... Which is a gelcoating itself.

EXTREMEBOATS
02-22-2005, 11:46 AM
:2purples: DING DING!! K you win!!! :wink:

Kurtis500
02-22-2005, 12:37 PM
:2purples: DING DING!! K you win!!! :wink:
I missed your earlier post or I would have picked up on it then.
I still dont understand the benefit of coating over a fresh gelcoat job, especially a clear.. According to the rep it is not harder than gelcoat. I will be getting the barcol and tensile numbers soon to tell the whole story. Both my friend, myself and the rep couldn't understand the reasoning to spraying it over a fresh gelcoat job. I've sanded gelcoat with up to 50,000 grit and polished to a shine as good as anyhting else could get. But until then, please fill me in. I'm open to newer and better ways to do things, even if the manufacturer isnt aware of it. :wink:

EXTREMEBOATS
02-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Basically, Duratech is a much less work intensive way to go as there is no sanding involved. It comes out like enamel paint. :D

EXTREMEBOATS
02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Even over gel coat.

EXTREMEBOATS
02-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Just to clarify for future use, unlike a molded fiberglass part with a gelcoat finish, a Duratech type product produces a slick shine when sprayed like paint. Gel coat relies on the mirror finish of the mold thus giving it the same texture as the mold. Because the texture of gelcoat is not like that of paint(smooth,shiney)it is eggshell or coarse when sprayed, which is why sanding and buffing is required to attain the finish to match a molded part. Very labor intense!!and not cost effective!!! :D

Kurtis500
02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Just to clarify for future use, unlike a molded fiberglass part with a gelcoat finish, a Duratech type product produces a slick shine when sprayed like paint. Gel coat relies on the mirror finish of the mold thus giving it the same texture as the mold. Because the texture of gelcoat is not like that of paint(smooth,shiney)it is eggshell or coarse when sprayed, which is why sanding and buffing is required to attain the finish to match a molded part. Very labor intense!!and not cost effective!!! :D
I would disagree. I have succesfully sprayed clear gel as a finish surface on an existing part without orange peel and the rough texture that my gelcoater puts down. It can be thinned, like most paints are, and shot through a 1.6mm tip gun. If sprayed smoothly and then covered by PVA, which is a nice smooth liquid, the finished product is immediate and beautiful without needing polishing. That method does take a little experience to put down right though or the surface wont be perfect usually. What peaked my interest is why put down gel and then scuff it up to put a thinner surface which is not as hard? Just sanding and polishing the gel surface that was laid down is all that is needed. If the existing boat surface is to be scuffed and coated, I can see Duratec working nicely. (although I would still use thinned clear gel.)
Not sure about cost effective. 5 gallons of Valspar clear is about $115. I just got some more but I dont recall the exact number since it was with a bunch of other stuff. I know the resins have gone up. I didnt look up the Duratec, but 5 gallons of paint is $$$.

Morg
02-22-2005, 04:51 PM
This is high gloss black & High gloss clear duratect. Applied over epoxy resign.
The black was sprayed the sanded. Then the clear was sprayed. Sanded with 1500 & 2000 wet. then polished. This stuff is very durable. A couple or wrenches droped on the floor while assembling. Not a mark was left.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/545Picture_003.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/545Picture_007.jpg

TRG
02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
your floor looks beautiful morg!

Sanger D
02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
danm morg, that floor is absoluty beautiful, all I can say is ......WOW!!!!!!! and stare at it :jawdrop:

DaveA
02-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey Morg-
Is the Casale polished, chromed, or PermaStar'd (chrome powder). It looks fabulous. Cost involved??
Thanx
DaveA

Sangster
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
All about Duratec (http://www.duratec1.com/dp06.html)