PDA

View Full Version : On This Spot, 3 Years ago today,,

Flying Tiger
02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
When I was 16, other kids my age who's parents bought them new cars soon had the cars looking like junk.
Kids who bought their own cars,, old used ones,, took care of them and they looked better with time.
I was holding that thought, thinking of getting a new Miata for my daughter.
I posted my thoughts here, thinking perhaps it'll look like crap, and she won't appreciate it like the kids I knew in school.
Lots of responses here in HB forum to not buy her the car,, but RD, the lone dissenter, said: " cut the check,, give her the car,, Maren earned it."
I went to the Mazda dealer the next day and I got a good deal on a fully equipped one. Factory alloys, excellent looking rollbar,, nice.
Three years later, the Miata still looks like the day I gave it to her. She's taken good care of it.
My daughter doesn't credit me for it. In her book, RD gets the knod for doing my thinking for me.
It worked out ok, three years ago today. Glad I bought it for her.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_July__04_044-med.jpg
Sis doing our laundry at Parker. A teriffic kid.

JetBoatRich
02-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Has it been three years already :D

Jordy
02-17-2005, 09:29 PM
RD Sux. Think of the money he cost ya Ross. :D :D :D
p.s. I'd keep him away from your daughter, even though he is rumored to be engaged (and possibly hetero). I still wouldn't risk it. :eek: :D

Windy
02-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Dang...time flies around here.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I love your avatar!!! Glad your girl appreciates the car.

BarryMac
02-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Nice to know that she didn't take it for granted, must be a really good kid...

phebus
02-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, I guess you owe him a good kick in the junk. :D And, just more proof you did a great job of raising your kids, and teaching them not only respact for others, but to respect what they have and not take it for granted. Some of your posts come across as though you have spoiled your kids, but I look at it as rewarding them for being great people and not taking things for granted. Good job Ross, I admire you,

moneypit
02-17-2005, 10:08 PM
When I was 16, other kids my age who's parents bought them new cars soon had the cars looking like junk.
Kids who bought their own cars,, old used ones,, took care of them and they looked better with time.
I posted my thoughts here, thinking perhaps it'll look like crap, and she won't appreciate it like the kids I knew in school.
Lots of responses here in HB forum to not buy her the car,, but RD, the lone dissenter, said: " cut the check,, give her the car,, Maren earned it."
I went to the Mazda dealer the next day and I got a good deal on a fully equipped one. Factory alloys, excellent looking rollbar,, nice.
Three years later, the Miata still looks like the day I gave it to her. She's taken good care of it.
My daughter doesn't credit me for it. In her book, RD gets the knod for doing my thinking for me.
I remember that post.... congrat Dave.

JustMVG
02-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I remember your post and was already wondering what i was going to do when my daughter turned 16, well she just did and she has been letting me know what she'd like to have, all of them used all of them practical and well thought out choices, and now the wife and i are flipping a coin as to which will work for her and help us out too. Maybe i should ask for the help of the all knowing :D RD. The choices are Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevy pick up, Mustang, and Scion TC.
Congrats to you for taking the chance and having it payoff for you, hope our choice will have similar results.
MikeVG

canuck1
02-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Good to hear that your girl broke the trend but the thing that makes me wunder is that someone actually took RD's advice :eek:

redneckgirl
02-18-2005, 08:19 AM
I remember your post and was already wondering what i was going to do when my daughter turned 16, well she just did and she has been letting me know what she'd like to have, all of them used all of them practical and well thought out choices, and now the wife and i are flipping a coin as to which will work for her and help us out too. Maybe i should ask for the help of the all knowing :D RD. The choices are Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevy pick up, Mustang, and Scion TC.
Congrats to you for taking the chance and having it payoff for you, hope our choice will have similar results.
MikeVG
I would get the Pick up or the Mustang!!!! just my .02
RNG

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 10:21 AM
MikeVG
My personal opinion?
Pick Up For safety (plus you get to use it if you need it) bad gas mileage might cost you more then it's worth though.
Honda Accord is a better car then everything else on the list. Mustangs a peace of junk, and toyotas are always 2 steps behind Honda. Scion probably isn't the safest car if there's a wreck involved with say an excursion or something.. (I won't lie the honda and toyota aren't much better, but atleast there not a midget import)
RD

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
It's been 3 years already? Damn time flies on these message boards. From the way you talk about her, she doesn't strike me as the type that takes things for granted. Besides with the role model she has she's bound to turn out alright.
RD

Jbb
02-18-2005, 10:24 AM
RD ...Engaged..... :D Damm Lil Mr.....Congrats!!! :D

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 10:28 AM
RD ...Engaged..... :D Damm Lil Mr.....Congrats!!! :D
And I plan on buying her a old honda CVCC (pre civic) with the seat belts cut out of it.. LOL :D
RD

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey, RiverDave, my kids wants my Mercedes S430 when he starts driving. What say you?
If you live in FairBanks ranch, I'd say your going cheap and need to upgrade to a 500.. I mean after all if it's 76,000 or 84,000 is it really that much more?
RD

superdave013
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I can see it now, RD bumps Dear Abby out of a job. lol
RD, as you know we live in Anaheim. Should we fix up the kid with a '64 on 100 spoke daytons or a Yukon with 22" spinners?

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I can see it now, RD bumps Dear Abby out of a job. lol
RD, as you know we live in Anaheim. Should we fix up the kid with a '64 on 100 spoke daytons or a Yukon with 22" spinners?
Is the kid you? If it is, I'd say 20 inch Budnicks.. (don't want to bend a rim on 22's pulling that beast of a boat you have)
I'm not trying to knock Dear Abby out of the job.. I just have a unique gift for spending other peoples money. ;)
RD

superdave013
02-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Is the kid you? If it is, I'd say 20 inch Budnicks.. (don't want to bend a rim on 22's pulling that beast of a boat you have)
RD
Dave, my next car will be an alki funny car. How wide can I get some Budnicks? lol

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Dave, my next car will be an alki funny car. How wide can I get some Budnicks? lol
How much $$$ do you have? :D
RD

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 11:16 AM
I do not live in Fairbanks Ranch, so I guess the 430 is gonna do.
Are you really buying your kid a 430? If so, are you looking to adopt anymore? Have you given any thought to the new bimmers?
RD

RiverDave
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
No, I was just going to give him mine. It will be fairly old and used by then, considering he's only 5½ now. :wink:
Well at the rate technological advances are going, I'm sure he'll be opting for one of those "hover cars" by then. :D
RD

2sand2
02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Geez, what's that going to set me back? :supp:
Forget the college fund and just start saving for the hover now :hammerhea