PDA

View Full Version : 2wd to 4 wd conversion 89 chevy suburb ? ? ? 's

DUECE'SDAD
02-18-2005, 06:41 AM
I have an 89 suburban in great shape 2 wd and im wanting a 4wd. I only hve 1300 in the truck and the ones that im looking at are $5000 - $90000(with lift and mudders), Im definately mechanically inclined, but not familar with 4wd never had one, whats the possibility of buying a straight axle front and a trans/transfer and hooking it up. Its a 1/2 ton should i look for 3/4ton axles and replace the rear as well ? Would you just jerk the front end sheetmetal off so you can ger in there and work, and take a torch/plasma and cut all the old brackets off and start fabbing new ones for the parrallel leaf? Also if feadsible what is the best way to lift, im wanting to run 38-40" tires and i recently grabbed a 4wd mag and they had 4-10" lift spring hangers, should i just put those on the front while im fabbin' and then do the rear? Whats the most practical. I would say this will be a medium duty off road, mud and trails, no major hill/rock climbing. Thanks for any help

sigepmock
02-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Wow that's quiet a project you got for yourself there. Every article, letter, official opinion I've ever read/heard always says the same thing thing.....sell the two wheel drive and buy a four wheel drive. It is much easier to take a four wheel drive sub and lift it. Put some lifted(re-arched taller) leaf springs on it, some 3/4" or 1-ton full floater axles on it, new drive shafts and you're done ready for 40" tires. Even doing this you still have quiet a bit of work getting the sterring to work right, probably need to go with hydraulic assist. Here's a helpful web site of like minded manufacturer/shop ORU:
ORU (http://www.offroadunlimited.com)
If you're set on converting your two wheel drive to four wheel drive, try and see if you can find a donor/parts sub of similar year but four wheel drive. Decide which one has the best drive train and swap the goods parts to that one. This is just my .02 so take it for what's it's worth. Try PMing EVO22 his shop does some killer conversions and he could probably get you pointed in the right direction.
I've got a good friend with a similar year sub running 37's, on 1/2 ton axles and he has to be vary careful offroading as not to break something. We went bogging in a muddy feild a couple of weeks ago and he broke the rear pinion gear, so definately go with 3/4 ton or bigger axles. I'll see if I can find a pic of his truck for you.
Chris

cdog
02-18-2005, 08:58 AM
You need to do a straight axle conversion. And do 3/4 ton axles. For that year gmc and chevy you can find plenty of parts, rear ends and transfer case. For the front end you'll have to get someone who has more experiance on which one to use. There used to be a guy in Redlands who did the straight axle con. . But I don't know who he is.

sigepmock
02-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Also check out this site lots of good info too.
Off road.com (http://www.off-road.com/chevy/)

Sleek-Jet
02-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Step 1: Place classified ad for 2x4 Sub.
Step 2: Gladley accept payment from happy buyer of 2x4 Sub.
Step 3: Go buy a 4x4 Sub.
If you want straight axle instead of the IFS, look for an 88-91 Suburban, they were the old body style, but had the same EFI engines as the other pickups. Also, the interiors were upgraded somewhat from the 80's models trucks.

djunkie
02-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I looked into doing a conversion like this for a buddy of mine. We found out it was cheaper for him to sell his and buy a 4x4. Also He found out that no insurance company would cover him if he converted it.

DUECE'SDAD
02-19-2005, 07:28 AM
I found the same suburb yesterday in 1/2 ton 4wd (same shape) for 1700 I am thinking of buying it and keeping the other for a parts, you know once the body gets too beat up switch bodys. I was just thinking that if i need 3/4 ton axles i might as well not pay for the 1/2 ton axles. I dont know what im going to do ? ? ?

Sherpa
03-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Sleekjet, your data is inaccurate....
GM quit using a straight front 4x4 axle after 1987. 1988-current are all IFS.
since Mr Duece wants a big project, he might make out better looking for
a complete roller for all his parts, then just sell off what is not used..
so, Duece, you're gonna be looking for a pre-87 3/4 or 1 ton donor pickup.
3/4 ton parts will net you a dana 44 front, and corp 14 bolt semi-float rear.
1-ton parts will net you a dana 60 front, and a corp 14 bolt full float rear.
the one-ton parts are much more sought after, and would be better suited
for running 38" tires.......... the wimpy front 44 wouldn't last very long
running anything larger than 35's, even with a soft-right foot........
Oh, and offroad.com is more of a "can I fit 33's tires on my jeep with no lift
type of website........... Try pirate4x4.com for deeper info, but take a light
reaction to alot of the juvenile posts on the site, along with the "newbie"
bashing that goes on.......
--Sherpa
also Sherpa on pirate4x4.com