PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on new boats-25-27 footers

Cole Trickle
02-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Hello,
I am currently looking to upgrade in size from my 21' Cole jet to something a little bigger/newer.
I will be buying new and I would like to stay in the 65-80K price range.(This pretty much rules out the Howard/Hallett)
Power will come from a 496HO and it will be left alone.(For warranty sake/reliability)
The boat will be open bow with a cuddy cabin.
The boats that I am currently eyeing are the 25' Nordic Rage , 26' Sleekcraft and the 27' Dana.
I would like to hear some opinions on speed,handling,value,rigging and overall manners.
Any feedback or experience with the 3 companies/boats would be greatly appreciated.(I can't find alot of info on the Sleekcraft?)
We typically boat on the Parker strip or Havasu and might make an occasional trip to Catalina once or twice a year so we would like something that would do 65+ and be good in the late afternoon Havasu chop.
Thanks for your help!
Brandin

dicudmore
02-18-2005, 09:03 AM
All 3 are NICE boats :D
Good luck to ya :cool:

wantacat
02-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Hello,
I am currently looking to upgrade in size from my 21' Cole jet to something a little bigger/newer.
I will be buying new and I would like to stay in the 65-80K price range.(This pretty much rules out the Howard/Hallett)
Power will come from a 496HO and it will be left alone.(For warranty sake/reliability)
The boats that I am currently eyeing are the 25' Nordic Rage , 26' Sleekcraft and the 27' Dana.
I would like to hear some opinions on speed,handling,value,rigging and overall manners.
Any feedback or experience with the 3 companies/boats would be greatly appreciated.(I can't find alot of info on the Sleekcraft?)
We typically boat on the Parker strip or Havasu and might make an occasional trip to Catalina once or twice a year so we would like something that would do 65+ and be good in the late afternoon Havasu chop.
Thanks for your help!
Brandin
I have heard good things about the Dana. It handles the rough water great. Their service is excellent and for the price you get a lot. Everything is prettty much standard on this boat, it comes with the 496HO.
Sleek I dont know much about them, I checked the 26 out at the boat show and it seemed to have lots of room, especially in the mid cabin.
Im also in the market for what your looking for, been doing some research for the past six months. Have you looked at the 26 cobra? I also like the cobra, but thats just my opinion. Last but not least take a look at the 25 Shockwave. Good luck!!

JJT4BOATING
02-18-2005, 09:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just in case you would be interested, for a used Hallett. Excellent conditon.
Check Out Hot Boat Classified Ad For Details! 245 Midcabin, 24.5 Feet, Colors Are Blue, Purple, Gray /w Small Checker Pattern. 500hp, Bravo I, External Steering, Kiekhaeffer Trim Tabs, Haylon Fire System, Upgraded Stero/cd, Low Hours, Always Garaged And Covered, Triple Axle Trailer With Chrome Fenders. $58,000.00\obo

BADAXE
02-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Howard doesn't post their prices on their web site but Hallett does. Halletts 255 closed bow is $71,000 with the 496 mag (not HO).
http://www.hallettboats.com/pricing.html
Being a Howard owner and doing a lot of shopping before I made my decision I can tell you should be able to get very nicely equipt 25 Bullet in your price range. Resale value alone is a good reason to take a hard look at the Bullet, besides the fact it's probably the best riding and fastest 25 footer you can get.
Call Gene or Mike and tell them I sent you. They will treat you great since I'm their favorite customer. ;)

dicudmore
02-18-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't know about the 25 Bullet....
I hear rumor they get up there 80K plus pretty easy :220v:
Awesome boat though

FRENCHIE
02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Hello,
Thanks for your help!
Brandin
all great boats!!1 i currently have an 04' 25ft shockwave mid cuddy open bow, with 496ho pkg! love the boat, and the cust service was even better.....top notch!!! id also say check out SHOCKWAVE and ask for Barry....A+ guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here is the link with info!!........http://www.shockwaveboats.com/
:cool:

purrfecttremor
02-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I Also Have A 25ft 04 Shochwave Everything That Frenchie Said And More.best Boat Ive Ever Owned.very Big 25 Compared To The Other Three.

dicudmore
02-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I see the clan has arrived :rolleyes:

THOR
02-18-2005, 12:08 PM
I dont mind the Nordics, but they all look the same to me and are very limited in terms of gel coats.
Howard 25' bullet is way over prices IMO. Great boat, but expensive for stock power.
I would personally go with the Dana. Very nice and great in the rough stuff.

cc322
02-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Out of the three you mentioned I would say imo the Nordic, because I like the intergrated swim step, some builders will tell you there boat is 25 But true running surface is different, my 24 nuera sells as a 24 but total length is 25.2 just a fyi. Good luck I'm sure all three make good products.

PHX ATC
02-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm partial to Nordic, but go look at them all. I've ridden in Nordics and Shockwaves, both 25 footers as advertised. The Nordic will outrun the Shockwave hands down if that's what interests you. The Shockwave flattens out the chop while the Nordic skips over top of it. The Nordic has a bigger midcabin while the Shockwave has a bigger cockpit area. I liked the vinyl on the Shockwave better (for some weird reason, I think they're the same weight). The Nordic instrument cluster looks more like a familiar car-like dash setup while the Shockwave looked goofy to me, being vertically set up. The freeboard is a tad higher on the Nordics. The Shockwave comes with way cool bolster seats in the front (good for standing up) and the Nordic doesn't. Storage is about the same from what I've seen. Shockwave will gelcoat anything you like. Customer service at the factory is hands down better at Shockwave.
Take a ride in every brand and size that you could think of liking, I'm sure someone on here owns one that you could ride in.
Don't forget the trailers, how they handle, double/triple axle, spare tires, build, etc.
Good luck.
Toby

FRENCHIE
02-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm partial to Nordic, but go look at them all. I've ridden in Nordics and Shockwaves, both 25 footers as advertised. The Nordic will outrun the Shockwave hands down if that's what interests you. The Shockwave flattens out the chop while the Nordic skips over top of it. The Nordic has a bigger midcabin while the Shockwave has a bigger cockpit area. I liked the vinyl on the Shockwave better (for some weird reason, I think they're the same weight). The Nordic instrument cluster looks more like a familiar car-like dash setup while the Shockwave looked goofy to me, being vertically set up. The freeboard is a tad higher on the Nordics. The Shockwave comes with way cool bolster seats in the front (good for standing up) and the Nordic doesn't. Storage is about the same from what I've seen. Shockwave will gelcoat anything you like. Customer service at the factory is hands down better at Shockwave.
Take a ride in every brand and size that you could think of liking, I'm sure someone on here owns one that you could ride in.
Don't forget the trailers, how they handle, double/triple axle, spare tires, build, etc.
Good luck.
Toby
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: wow im totally amazed at what you just wrote!! :cool: now if only i could drop my ego to come close to your humility!!! :p :cool:

djunkie
02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Dana all the way. The 27' is bad ass. You can probably get a nicely equipped one with a 496 for what you are looking to spend.

jbtrailerjim
02-18-2005, 05:53 PM
IMO...Dana I think is the best bang for the buck. After checking them out at the boat show, I really think it is a sweet boat and a good deal for there 27. The beam is a little narrow on it but all in all seems like a nice boat. Plus the owner Tom seems like one hell of a nice guy. I've never heard one negative thing about him or his company.
Nordic is definitely a nice boat but there gelcoat graphics all look the same and are kinda boring.
Sleekcraft also builds a nice boat but I've heard a few negative things about the owner. Do a search on them and you will find some interesting threads about them posted here in the past.

Goodtime$
02-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Talk to Rhett and the boys at DANA, the straight V 27 hull is a proven winner. The boat comes loaded, game over for the rest of them.
best of luck with your choice, there all fun in the sun.
cheers

PHX ATC
02-18-2005, 09:44 PM
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: wow im totally amazed at what you just wrote!! :cool: now if only i could drop my ego to come close to your humility!!! :p :cool:
I'm full of ego at work, where I need to be! Elsewhere, it's somebody else's turn. Don't let it get out.........I like Shockwaves too! :)

INSman
02-19-2005, 08:21 AM
NO Sleekcraft
NO Nordic
YES Dana 27'
YES Shockwave 25'
That's the story.......... My story anyway and just MY opinion

Garrddogg
02-19-2005, 08:27 AM
I see the clan has arrived :rolleyes:
Yup! :2purples: everybody clear out of the sandbox!

Speedin' Ian
02-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Out of all the boats mentioned I would go with the Dana, it's not the fastest hull out there but it has great lines, good craftsmanship, and outstanding value.

INSman
02-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Out of all the boats mentioned I would go with the Dana, it's not the fastest hull out there but it has great lines, good craftsmanship, and outstanding value.
It may not be THE fastest, but pretty darn close. This is due to the fact that there are no steps or pads that I am aware of, just a true Deep V that will handle just about anything you can throw at it. :2purples:

Troubles No More
02-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Cole Trickle
Not looking at starting a debate on boats but you should take the time to visit the Howard showroom and talk to Gene or Mike before you buy. They have a first class operation producing a first rate boat. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for because quality will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
IMO-The number thing to keep in mind is DEALER REPUTATION.
This could make or break your boating experience. The reputation of the manufacturer is important when you are having a problem, do a search on HB and you will find some sad stories dealing with service after buying, product was inconsistent, varying from very bad to marginally good, unsatisfactory warranty service, etc.
You need boat manufacturer that stands firmly behind their product and is going to rise to the occasion when things go wrong
Best of luck in your search…….

02-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I shopped for about 3 years and then became the very happy owner of a Howard 25. I boat mostly at Havasu & Powell and wanted something with good lines, that handles well, and can take "big power". I have a MagHO now, but put an XR behind it with dual ram steering to handle the upgrades I'm planning. With the HO you should be on the high end of your budgeted price range. Some may think Howards are pricey but just drive one, you get what you pay for. I was at Havasu a couple of weeks ago (just putting on some hours) and the wind was terrible. I was heading upriver toward the bridge in major white caps cruising at 60 and I was able to drink my Starbuck's without spilling. (too cold & too early for a beer.) I have driven a lot of the boats mentioned in this thread and the Howard is the smoothest boat I've driven, with or without a step, at any speed. Plus, Gene & Mike were great to work with.
Happy shopping! :cool:

roln 20s
02-19-2005, 11:44 AM
All the boats you mentioned above are super nice and you can't go wrong with any of them.
Here's my $.02--If you like the Howard, but don't want to spend the coin for a new 25 Bullet--buy Troubles No More and you will be very happy--plus rumor has it its an unbelievable price. If you do go the Howard showroom-- tell them I sent you--I'm their favorite customer, and I don't even have a boat.
As for the others--these are the top two for my list-
Dana-- I am very impressed with Tom, owner of Dana, and the customers he has. I have been able to hang with them all, and I can say that the org he runs, the loyality he is building, along with the quality boat--its first rate. If you want a great buy on a new 27- buy Dana. I will tell you- its a steal at this point, the longer people wait and the more momentum Dana builds, the premiums are gonna go up...and it'll still be worth it.
Shockwave-- good to see the Frenchie led Cheerleading team joined in :) :D --I can tell you Shockwave is a great company. Barry at Shockwave is a first rate guy, no sales BS- just a straight shooter. Thats what I like in a sales guy. Not too mention, its a huge 25, tons of std ammenties, and an overall great performing boat. You can't go wrong.
Whatever you do decide--you need one of these to finish off your 496HO (Frenchie-- I'm still waiting for your order :D )
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419IMG_0037-med.JPG
Roln 20s

THOR
02-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Now I am curious of the prices of the following boats with a 496HO:
Dana 27
Howard 25
Shockwave 25
Nordic 25
Nothing fancy, just a 496 HO, Bravo 1X. I have a feeling but I want to confirm my intuition.

jbtrailerjim
02-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Dana 27
Howard 25
Shockwave 25
Nordic 25
Nothing fancy, just a 496 HO, Bravo 1X. I have a feeling but I want to confirm my intuition.
I don't know the prices of all of them but I do remember from the boat show. The Dana was about 72K with that set up and Tom loads his boats up with all the goods. I'd be willing to bet the Howard is more expensive and the other two are priced about the same as the Dana.

THOR
02-19-2005, 07:43 PM
I know that Dana scissor hinges are in excess of 1K and the Dana tabs I have are $1500 at least. Swim steps from Dana are more $$$. So, at a minimum you get 3K from Dana for free.

roln 20s
02-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Dana 27
Howard 25
Shockwave 25
Nordic 25
Good question-
Dana 27: 72K
Howard 25: 85K
Shockwave: 70K
Nordic: 68K
So, I'm assuming your intuition was that Howard is super high-- and the others are comparable. With that said, I would say your intuition is pretty close :)
Roln 20s

OutCole'd
02-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I know that Dana scissor hinges are in excess of 1K and the Dana tabs I have are $1500 at least. Swim steps from Dana are more $$$. So, at a minimum you get 3K from Dana for free.
I thought that they were seperate companies. Not affiliated.

TPI
02-20-2005, 06:50 AM
They are different. Dana Boats is not affiliated with Dana Marine Products.
CT,
Howard also has a Howard 25 Bullet/496HO Cuddy/Open Bow with very low hrs for sale, hiding under a cover in the back of the shop. You might want to check into it. This boat is like new, I mean perfect, maybe 30 hrs or so? Its Blue and Candy Orange, but mostly white.
(661)257-9275

THOR
02-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I thought that they were seperate companies. Not affiliated.
They dont have anything to do with each other.

THOR
02-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Good question-
Dana 27: 72K
Howard 25: 85K
Shockwave: 70K
Nordic: 68K
So, I'm assuming your intuition was that Howard is super high-- and the others are comparable. With that said, I would say your intuition is pretty close :)
Roln 20s
I am close. I just want a justification for the money. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to be an a$$, cuz Howard is one of my favs along with Dana, but I just want to know where the money goes. For instance, many of the Shockwaves come Bennett tabs which are far inferior to the Danas, but the Dana tabs are well over $1000 more. There is a fine example.

roln 20s
02-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I am close. I just want a justification for the money. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to be an a$$, cuz Howard is one of my favs along with Dana, but I just want to know where the money goes. For instance, many of the Shockwaves come Bennett tabs which are far inferior to the Danas, but the Dana tabs are well over $1000 more. There is a fine example.
That is a great example. Dana seat bases are another. I'd say the majority of the cost would be the balsa cored hull and then of course their value of TIME which it takes to make each boat. Also, I'm not sure about the others, but I know that the Howards all use Fiberglass innerliners--basically no wood. They even offer the no wood anywhere "all composite" boat option now such as GTs. But I agree with people's $$ perspective, they are expensive, but super nice. For the money, I still really like the Dana 27 :)
Roln 20s

THOR
02-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Dana sure seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Then again, at high speeds, I would have to go with the Howard. If I were to put big HP in a boat, I would go with the Howard, stock stuff, I would stay with mine. I have yet to see a 24'-26' 496 HO that is as fast as my hull. :wink:

roln 20s
02-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Dana sure seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Then again, at high speeds, I would have to go with the Howard. If I were to put big HP in a boat, I would go with the Howard, stock stuff, I would stay with mine. I have yet to see a 24'-26' 496 HO that is as fast as my hull. :wink:
Hey Thor-- what does your boat GPS at? Without spinning the 36 lab prop that was joked about on LVHB for so long :D :) Do you have to use your tabs at high speed? What tabs do you have--the Dana 900s or 1000s?
Roln 20s

THOR
02-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Thor-- what does your boat GPS at? Without spinning the 36 lab prop that was joked about on LVHB for so long :D :) Do you have to use your tabs at high speed? What tabs do you have--the Dana 900s or 1000s?
Roln 20s
I run a labbed 26.5 (I had the prop blueprinted and I had them take some cup out as well) at the rev limiter and have been GPS'd at 79 mph. But, that is me, no gear and very little fuel. But, with a fair load and my family I will top out at 74-75. I run the Dana 900 tabs because the 1000's would hit my swim step. I click them down once at high speeds and am very stable.

roln 20s
02-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I run a labbed 26.5 (I had the prop blueprinted and I had them take some cup out as well) at the rev limiter and have been GPS'd at 79 mph. But, that is me, no gear and very little fuel. But, with a fair load and my family I will top out at 74-75. I run the Dana 900 tabs because the 1000's would hit my swim step. I click them down once at high speeds and am very stable.
Nice--those are some awesome numbers :) John West makes a beautiful product.
Roln 20s

THOR
02-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Few people believe me over the BS prop speed calcs you can get online. The GPS doesnt lie though. Also, my hull also weighs 3100 lbs too. Compared to the other 24'-25'ers, my boat is the lightest.

phebus
02-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Just curious what prop were you running before you went to the labbed one, and what before and after was with the labbed prop (and the effect on rpm)? You said they took some cup out, what effect did it have overall? I assume it got you some speed, but did it hurt your plane time, or effect your trim angle?
Very nice numbers, I love hearing how some tweaking effects things.
Thanks

Steamin' Rice
02-20-2005, 07:18 PM
ALl of the boats you listed are good boats and you can't go wrong with any of them. There is a big difference in the boats in terms of actual size, top speed, etc.. You will have to decide what is most important to you and go from there... Good luck shopping..
PS: Buy a 25 Shockwave from Barry.. :D

SBullet
02-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I love my Nordic 25 Rage!!! But what ever boat you go pick from that list is pretty nice boat!!

Tremor Therapy
02-21-2005, 07:59 AM
You have shortened your list to some nice boats, and before I bought my '03 Tremor, I looked at all of them.
Lavey / Howard / Hallet...definately make nice boats, and each has something that they feel they have over everyone else.....I just wasn't interested in paying an additional 10-25k for it.
I checked out the Nordic's, and the customer service at the factory when I was looking to buy blew. The boats performed well on the water, but the cabin and open bow seemed a little smallish, and I wasn't impressed with the passenger and driver seats.
I got to head out in Buck's 25 Shockwave Tremor, and it just plain hauled ass. It was put together very well, and there were no shakes, rattles, or vibrations....I can't say that about some of the others when I went on a test ride. I loved the re-tool for 2003, and once I got a test ride in one, I was hooked. Give Barry a call, and check one out before deciding....you will not be disappointed.

Cole Trickle
02-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback!
My computer took a dump over the weekend and I couldn't log on.
I forgot about the "Tremor" I will make a point to check out Aftershock as well.
Dana looks like it is the clear winner in terms of value and customer service.The 27' looks great but seems pretty low in terms of overall profile.
I have read nothing but great things about Aftershock and the treatment there owners get after the sale.
I like the Nordic because it's a proven performer but I have yet to see a gelgoat I really liked from the factory.
Still having trouble finding info on the Sleekcraft 26'?(I wonder how many new ones are out there)
Any idea how long each of the manufacturers is taking to produce a custom boat?
how are the boats handling wise around the dock?
Brandin

Cole Trickle
02-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Another Question?
Do they list the Tremor as a 24' boat on Aftershocks website?

THOR
02-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Just curious what prop were you running before you went to the labbed one, and what before and after was with the labbed prop (and the effect on rpm)? You said they took some cup out, what effect did it have overall? I assume it got you some speed, but did it hurt your plane time, or effect your trim angle?
Very nice numbers, I love hearing how some tweaking effects things.
Thanks
The cup gave me a tad extra speed, but my plane time sucks because of it. I dont do a lot of boarding/skiing so it doesnt bother at all. Labbing put me at the rev limiter while before I was hitting about 4800-4900 rpm.

THOR
02-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I definitely like the Sleekcraft product too. Good mix you have there.

Steamin' Rice
02-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Another Question?
NO NO NO..
SHOCKWAVE... not aftershock....
www.shockwaveboats.com
951 898 9360
Call Barry
:hammerhea :D

dicudmore
02-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Another Question?
SHOCKWAVE NOT Aftershock......
link (http://www.shockwaveboats.com)

dicudmore
02-21-2005, 08:31 AM
ok Greg you win :cool:

Cole Trickle
02-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys!
I always get the two companies confused eventhough I have read all the horror stories about Aftershock. :220v:
I think it's awfully convienent that they both have a Tremor model!
I was not impressed with Carrera or aftershock when I visited the showroom a year ago.

OutCole'd
02-21-2005, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=Cole Trickle]Still having trouble finding info on the Sleekcraft 26'?(I wonder how many new ones are out there)/QUOTE]
http://www.sleekcraft.com/sleekcraft/index.html
Not sure how many new ones are out there. Call Darren at the shop. He can help you out.
All great boats you have listed. Drive as many as you can & flip a coin.

Cole Trickle
02-21-2005, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Cole Trickle]Still having trouble finding info on the Sleekcraft 26'?(I wonder how many new ones are out there)/QUOTE]
http://www.sleekcraft.com/sleekcraft/index.html
Not sure how many new ones are out there. Call Darren at the shop. He can help you out.
All great boats you have listed. Drive as many as you can & flip a coin.
I like the way the boat looks I just haven't found any Forum info on the boat.I have a coupe of friends that have Magic Party cats like yours and absolutely love them!

OutCole'd
02-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I like the way the boat looks I just haven't found any Forum info on the boat.I have a coupe of friends that have Magic Party cats like yours and absolutely love them!
Not sure the deal there. I thought I had heard that they stopped building them a while ago, and recently brought them back on to the market. Just guessing here. Call Darrin at Magic & get the scoop.

Tremor Therapy
02-21-2005, 04:28 PM
If you are still looking at a Sleekcraft, send a pm to Keith Sayre. If I remember correctly he used to work for them, and he may be able to give you any info you want about their 26 footer.

cc322
02-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Just do yourself a favor and get a LAVEYCRAFT you will never second guess yourself, plus you get to be part of a very select group of people, not just people but LAVEY FAMILY :D

lost boy
02-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Maybe spend some time thinking about the graphics.The tribal flame thing is gitting very old, real fast. In a few years you will be glad you did.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Given those three in the original post, not the ones suggested by the cheerleaders, IMHO the Dana would be the best choice. Lots of boat for the money. but ultimately, it comes down to what you want. What are you going to do with the boat? Going from a 21 jet to a 27 ft I/O is a big jump. Get what will make you happy and what fits your needs, not what any of us say. :cool:

MOBrien
02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
........just curious to know why they would NOT be considered in the list? I had heard they were producing a nice product these days.
:) good luck with your search...you really can't go wrong with any of the rigs you've been talking about. Manufacturers that I've heard negative press on weren't in your list. :)

roln 20s
02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
........just curious to know why they would NOT be considered in the list? I had heard they were producing a nice product these days.
:) good luck with your search...you really can't go wrong with any of the rigs you've been talking about. Manufacturers that I've heard negative press on weren't in your list. :)
Kachina is a great choice-they are local here in Phx and make a standout Product. Numerous people on the boards can attest to their boats- kachina26, Force 26, radeX. You can get their 30' drone for approx $85K fully loaded with a 496HO (I would guess the standard non canopy 30 is less expensive). A 26 Kachina is approx low $70Ks with a 496HO. Call Shannon over at Kachina and tell her you talked to Patrick. She will give you some good information on their boats--its definately worth the call. Good value and tons of standard features.
Roln 20s

INSman
02-21-2005, 08:17 PM
I am sure Kachina is a nice boat, but I do not recall seeing them showing up to the ***boat and Powerboat tests with subsequent write-ups on the performance and such, as I have the Dana on both the 27' and the 23'

Indiansprings
02-21-2005, 08:40 PM
I just ordered a Sleekcraft 28' for the boat show deal. $67,500. With a 496MAG HO. Open bow, Bimini top, full cover, duel batteries, aqua step, triple axle trailer, full JL Audio 6 channel system with 10" subs. Do the math on anything that size with these options. Talk to Brett, maybe you could still get the deal? Oh, before I saw this, I was after the 27' Warlock World Class. That might fit on your list.

MOBrien
02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
I just ordered a Sleekcraft 28' for the boat show deal. $67,500. With a 496MAG HO. Open bow, Bimini top, full cover, duel batteries, aqua step, triple axle trailer, full JL Audio 6 channel system with 10" subs...
A 28'er w/496HO and all the trimmings for around $68K?.....That's a smokin deal! Sleekcraft/Magic is a quality product too. Post pics of that bad-ass when it's done. :cool:
That Kachina 30' "Drone" with canopies is sick for around $85K!
http://www.kachinaboats.com/drone/p1068series/viewing/p-1079.jpg

Cole Trickle
02-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I looked in to Kachina as well.
I think there 26 footer looks great and there interior and gel coats are truly works of art.
The only two things that left them off my list was the fact that they are in Phoenix(Long drive from OC if I need warranty work) and that there hull is heavy and a little slower than some of the other options.
The 28' Sleekcraft sounds nice but I can't find any pictures or info of the boat.
Brandin

Indiansprings
02-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Cole, I replied on the other post. They have been around. Call 602-954-0725. or the Havasu plant 928-680-7600. They will send you all kinds of pictures. I think they have a place in Fontana CA too. 909-355-4700

NashvilleBound
02-23-2005, 05:01 AM
Considered Ultra? I hear there are some REALLLLLY nice 247's for sale around your price range;)

Cole Trickle
02-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all the help and replys!
I have gathered alot of good info now it is time to go climb in some boats and see what kind of deal I can get on the boats.
I hope to have something orederd in the next 4 weeks.
Brandin

Indiansprings
02-23-2005, 07:38 AM
You think its tough to figure out which custom boat to by? Wait until you have to figure out which colors and graphics!

Cole Trickle
02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
You think its tough to figure out which custom boat to by? Wait until you have to figure out which colors and graphics!
I don't think that Sleekcraft will do custom graphics from what I was told.They are making the 28' boats a particular way and selling them for a great price.
You got a smoking deal with custom graphics!

Indiansprings
02-23-2005, 08:43 AM
I guess one just came out of the mold. Have the Havasu office email you some pics. I dont think it is sold as of yesterday.
Did they tell you no on the grapfics? Maybe if you didnt go crazy they would do it. See if you can get ahold of Brett. Tell him Mike Holland sent you. He is going on vacation but maybe one of the guys at the phoenix office will give you his cell #. Ask for ernie.

riverracerx
02-23-2005, 12:32 PM
I love my Nordic 28'. I went in to buy a 25' and left with a 28'.
Sit in and drive all of them. You will narrow your choices just on preference alone. Good luck. Spend your time shopping, it is a large sum of money to fork out. I shopped for close to 3 years.
Now I want to upgrade! (Want an excellent used 28' Nordic?)
http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/uploads/post-23-89616-rrx_move.gif

andy01
02-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Well I didn't read this whole thread so if you bought a boat congrats. I didn't see Lavey Craft in your line up. I looked at a lot of boats a couple of years ago and looked with some of the same things you have in mind. The 26' Lavey seemed like a very nice boat for the money. I think it was right around 70 plus thousand but it seemed like you got a pretty good value for your money. You might look at Ultras 28 as well. Just my .02
Andy

ridebig
02-24-2005, 08:07 AM
I just ordered a Sleekcraft 28' for the boat show deal. $67,500. With a 496MAG HO. Open bow, Bimini top, full cover, duel batteries, aqua step, triple axle trailer, full JL Audio 6 channel system with 10" subs. Do the math on anything that size with these options. Talk to Brett, maybe you could still get the deal? Oh, before I saw this, I was after the 27' Warlock World Class. That might fit on your list.
This 28' boat is a true 28', much more room then in the 26' with molded in swim step. I have owned 2 in the past and loved them. I recently stepped up to the 34' Hereitage. If you cant reach Brett call Darrin in Havicsu. TW

jbtrailerjim
02-24-2005, 03:06 PM
If you are considering other boats besides the ones you listed, I'd take a look also at Ultra's 28 Stealth. It's a sweet boat and the crew at Ultra will take real good care of you.
http://www.ultraboats.com/admin/images/258.jpg

Cole Trickle
02-24-2005, 03:11 PM
If you are considering other boats besides the ones you listed, I'd take a look also at Ultra's 28 Stealth. It's a sweet boat and the crew at Ultra will take real good care of you.
http://www.ultraboats.com/admin/images/258.jpg
I have always liked the 28' Ultra.
I thought they were over 80K when properly equipped?
Brandin

jbtrailerjim
02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
I have always liked the 28' Ultra.
I thought they were over 80K when properly equipped?
Brandin
Yeah, I think equipped with a 496MagHO it is right around that price. Pm ULTRA28 (John West) and ask him. He has been known to take real good care of people that post on Hot Boat. :D

famaffair
02-24-2005, 05:30 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2285LETSRIDE.jpg
I have a 26 Commander, I am very well pleased. I have heard rome not so good things about Commander. However, I can tell you Steve, who is the guy on ***boat Cover, is a good guy and has taken care of all my boat needs. They also hired a new service manager, Doug, who is doing outstanding job running the place.

Cole Trickle
02-25-2005, 07:25 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2285LETSRIDE.jpg
I have a 26 Commander, I am very well pleased. I have heard rome not so good things about Commander. However, I can tell you Steve, who is the guy on ***boat Cover, is a good guy and has taken care of all my boat needs. They also hired a new service manager, Doug, who is doing outstanding job running the place.
Good looking Commander.
My buddy has a 98 21' Jet and really likes the boat.
I like alot of the lines and the paint scemes on the Commanders but there sales staff was hardly what I would consider proffesional based on my visit last summer.
Due to that experience and some of the customer services issues I wouldn't even consider them.
Brandin

Indiansprings
02-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Well Brandin, Have you found anything you like yet? What do you have it narrowed down to?

Cole Trickle
02-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I think I have more boats to look at now than I did when this thread started! :hammer2:

dicudmore
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
I think I have more boats to look at now than I did when this thread started! :hammer2:
is that a bad thing?? :cool:

Cole Trickle
02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
is that a bad thing?? :cool:
Not at all!
The whole reason I posted this was to get opinions from the people that have driven and know boats.
I have learned alot reading the Forums on this board.
Brandin

hotlavey
02-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Just do yourself a favor and get a LAVEYCRAFT you will never second guess yourself, plus you get to be part of a very select group of people, not just people but LAVEY FAMILY :D
Very true. Lavey builds a fantastic boat and the folks at Lavey are a great bunch of people. I'm in my second Lavey now and would highly recommend you check them out before making a decision.

roln 20s
02-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I think equipped with a 496MagHO it is right around that price. Pm ULTRA28 (John West) and ask him. He has been known to take real good care of people that post on Hot Boat. :D
John will definately take good care of you-- he's a great owner and friend. I don't know what else you can ask for from a boat company.
Also, if you want Brett's cell phone (for Magic/Sleek in Phx), PM me and I'll get it to you.
Thanks and good luck.
Roln 20s

DIRTY SANCHEZ
03-26-2005, 04:01 AM
Anyone Know Anything About The 25' Lightning??????

INSman
03-26-2005, 09:33 AM
I think they used to be an affiliated dealer/builder for Ultra. Something happend along the way and they parted company. I remember meeting with them when I was considering an Ultra and we just didn't click. Good luck !!

voodoomedman
03-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I think they used to be an affiliated dealer/builder for Ultra. Something happend along the way and they parted company. I remember meeting with them when I was considering an Ultra and we just didn't click. Good luck !!
Lightnings used to be an Ultra without all the bells and whistles for a lesser price. Was the 247xs hull I believe and one of the smaller hulls. West Coast Ultra was a bare hull dealer. John wants everything done at his factory so all the quality is top notch and has his signature on it. He sold the hulls and lightning name to West Coast Ultra and they now do there own thing. I personally wouldn't buy a lightning. To make a long story short... If John West doesn't want to do business with somebody I wouldn't want to do business with them!!!

INSman
03-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Lightnings used to be an Ultra without all the bells and whistles for a lesser price. Was the 247xs hull I believe and one of the smaller hulls. West Coast Ultra was a bare hull dealer. John wants everything done at his factory so all the quality is top notch and has his signature on it. He sold the hulls and lightning name to West Coast Ultra and they now do there own thing. I personally wouldn't buy a lightning. To make a long story short... If John West doesn't want to do business with somebody I wouldn't want to do business with them!!!
Very well said, I 2nd that... ;)

FASTERDAMITT
03-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure what your priority is but I would go with a proven rough water hull. Of the west coast boats I would go DANA due to the fact the mold they use was once a great offshore bottom and will ride awsome. If you can do without the common west gel designs here's probably the best deal on the planet right now. Superboat Y2K a true 30' triple step. Four Offshore world championships in this hull. The deal is, every boat is made to order as you use it. The basic construction like most boats built here will be around $62500. with a 496HO and tabs on an aluminum trailer. GPS on this is 74-76 mph. Cabin is whatever you want for your budget. If you must have graphic, do as Skater or alot high end boats do with paint.
I have one just out of the mold but being built to Offshore race hull specs. Obviously it will be alot more than 63K.
This is a pic of one that should be done in a week or two. He's getting the new Merc 600SCi. Mine will have a 572ci tall deck.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478DSCN0704_Large_.JPG

FASTERDAMITT
03-26-2005, 05:22 PM
A couple more pics
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478DSCN0706_Large_.JPG http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/478r30d3.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478DSCN0707_Large_.JPG

TCHB
03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
For th price range boat you are looking at I would pick the Shockwave 25.
The boat is good size and is put together solid.
Every person that has one loves the boat. The resale seems strong also on the Shockwave boats.

bchbum
03-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Lighting now buys their hulls from Genesis boats . I looked at the 25 at the show , nice looking boat but still looking other places .
I bought my Ultra Lighting from them 3 years ago ( talked to John before buying from them ,) at that time there was no problem between them . I still love the boat just want to go BIGGER

jbtrailerjim
03-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Genesis builds the hulls for Lightning. Genesis is owned by Jerry Van Beek and Lightning is owned by Jason Van Beek. They are brothers. Do a search on the forums with those two names and you will get some interesting info about both of them. I personally would not buy anything from either one of the Van Beek's.

THOR
03-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Genesis builds the hulls for Lightning. Genesis is owned by Jerry Van Beek and Lightning is owned by Jason Van Beek. They are brothers. Do a search on the forums with those two names and you will get some interesting info about both of them. I personally would not buy anything from either one of the Van Beek's.
"interesting"? Hmmm, many folks would choose another word to describe them. :rolleyes:

KineticoH20
03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I personally could not disagree with you more, allthough i do not know Jason at all. I found Jerry to be a honest business man,and besides the Genesis line of boats are being built by the Casillas bros and i don't think you will find better boat gel-coaters or builders anywhere on the west coast.Thats not saying i didn't hear about Jerry's problems in the past cuz i did,that being said after exhausting research, i found the 25' Genesis to be better built boat than most builders,cuz i saw them all!

jbtrailerjim
03-28-2005, 06:13 AM
I personally could not disagree with you more, allthough i do not know Jason at all. I found Jerry to be a honest business man,and besides the Genesis line of boats are being built by the Casillas bros and i don't think you will find better boat gel-coaters or builders anywhere on the west coast.Thats not saying i didn't hear about Jerry's problems in the past cuz i did,that being said after exhausting research, i found the 25' Genesis to be better built boat than most builders,cuz i saw them all!
Maybe you need to read my post again. I didn't knock how well the boats were built. I think Genesis builds a good boat and Lightning builds a decent boat. I was knocking the owners. I'm glad to hear you had a good dealing with Jerry Van Beek. I actually looked at Genesis when I was shopping. That was before Jerry owned it. Now that Jerry owns it, they are on my list of boats builders I will never buy from. :eek: :)