PDA

View Full Version : engine installation

h2ojet001
02-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Getting ready to install the engine back into the boat. Just looking for some ideas as to how and where to attach the engine hoist to the engine. Is it better to leave the heads off or can the completely assembled engine be attached to the hoist(cherry picker). I have aluminum heads will they be strong enough to support the engine on the hoist if I use the accessory bolt holes at the end of the heads. Any suggestions will be helpful and pictures are always nice too. Thanks
Barry

CrazyHippy
02-18-2005, 12:15 PM
I've always done SBC's w/ the heads, intake, carb, distributor, etc on. Using the accessory holes on the heads. Never any problems.
The boat motor i just pick up and carry, the powerhead is only about 140lbs complete :)
BJH :)

infotraker
02-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Last summer I put the BBC 468 completely together and got the strongest bolts I could get and used the head access. bolt holes. It was scary as I had just got the boat painted. Went really slow, watching as I went. All went well !

Snowboat
02-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Put your headers/exhaust system on. Run nylon straps under the headers and tie them into one above your scoop. You can pick the world (blower, intercooler, etc), as long as you have head height. A cherry picker will not be high enough, unless you remove the tires.

steelcomp
02-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I use the ex manifold/ header bolt holes and motorcycle tie downs. Towels over valve covers to keep them from getting scratched, or use an old pair of valve covers. Intake is on, so motor is covered and stays clean. (cover top of intake or tape closed to keep stuff from getting into the runners. Cover dist. hole, as well, if open.) Need to keep cherry picker as close to engine as possible in order to get motor out of the boat. Raise the bow as far as you can, and this will lower the back to help, but don't forget, you need to get cherry picker under trailer, too.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9604&stc=1

Sleek-Jet
02-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Load leveler and pull off either the accessory bolt holes or the intake manifold holes, grade 8 bolts through a link of the chains. I usually pull the motors as long blocks, with all the accessories taken off.
Most cherry pickers with a thousand pound arm will lift high enough to get the motor out of a low-freeboard boat, but that engine is waaaaaay up there.
Like this:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/25sleek0001.jpg
For what ever reason, I didn't pull the headers off. It looked pretty cool going down the road with the OT's over the tailgate of the pickup. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/25sleek0005.jpg

Cs19
02-19-2005, 09:20 PM
I like the nylon straps under the header method.
Using cherry pickers can be challenging, count on having atleast one hang up while your engine is 8 ft in the air :sqeyes: :D .
Chain hoists are the way to go for boat engine installs.

PC Rat
02-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Try and set it up so that when you get the engine in the air, you can pull the boat out from underneath the engine, instead of having to pull the cherry picker. Once you start jerking on that cherry picker the engine starts swinging back and forth - I guess it's just more scary than anything.
My cherry picker starts leaning really bad when I get the engine up in the air, so much that one of the back wheels will come off the ground.
Also I have a spreader bar that I made out of square tubing. The chains are attached to the ends and there is a pick eye in the center. I hook the one chain to the front of one head, and the other chain to the rear of the other head, and I can pull the complete engine out of the boat without the chains touching any part of the engine.
Brian

Cs19
02-19-2005, 10:12 PM
I have a spreader bar that I made out of square tubing. The chains are attached to the ends and there is a pick eye in the center. I hook the one chain to the front of one head, and the other chain to the rear of the other head, and I can pull the complete engine out of the boat without the chains touching any part of the engine.
Brian
Teerrriick

PC Rat
02-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Teerrriick
Can someone please translate for me? I need to brush up on my OC. :cool:
Brian

tahitijet
02-20-2005, 12:06 PM
on my tunnel ram motor i just unbolt the carb linkage and fuel lines and slip a 10,000lb ratchet tie strap through the tunnel ram.
On the cherry picker if i start out with it almost touching the carbs i end up with a few inches to spare. I prefer to back the boat in between my car lift and attach the hooks on the strap to the top of the lift then pull the boat out from under it.

h2ojet001
02-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info and pictures. Taking it out was easy the heads were off and I just attached the cherry picker to the block. I had about a foot to spare between the oil pan and the boat. If it ever stops raining I might get around to actually attempting this job.
Barry