PDA

View Full Version : Gear Drive?

XClutchboy725
02-11-2002, 08:21 AM
Anyone here run a gear drive on their valvetrain? I was thinking of dong it just for the noise! I think it sounds kinda cool.
If so, what brand? Pete Jackson? are their some that are noisier than others? Maybe I don't want to go too loud. Any thoughts?
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused24.gif

mister460
02-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Can't beat them for reliability and accuracy. And they do sound sweet. Any manufacturer(sp?) will work fine. Most of them are made by Dynagear anyway.

superdave013
02-11-2002, 10:15 AM
I ran one when I was using a huge roller cam with monster springs. But mine was not very nosiy! Don't use the Jackson or any other with the duel idler. Use one that has the idler that is fixed to the front cover. Mine was a Donavian.
The ones with the duel idlers put load on your cam and main bearings.
You're better off with a good true roller timing chain.

OneBadScorpion
02-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Well Ive used Pete Jackson on my drag car and my Scorpion for years and have never had a problem except the fact that they cost too darn much! Pete jackson/dynagear/Edelbrock/Milodon are some of the better sides--Pro-gear is coming into the picture.
One of the things I discovered that when ya order a "off brand name" the pare comes with vertbatium instructions like the name brand--in my case My PJ's are also made by Summit with the same markings, same ID numbers ect ect as the PJ's except 80 $$ cheaper!
Dave

MrHavasuCat
02-11-2002, 05:21 PM
I was told by my engine builder (Jeff Blosdale) that gear drives do not last long in a marine motor. He said that because of the sustained rpm's they wear out very quickly.

Johnwithjm
02-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I have a Pete Jackson gear drive in my 557Chev and have had no problems with it

wsuwrhr
02-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Jesel. Hands down.

Racing Ray
02-11-2002, 06:19 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

Unchained
02-11-2002, 06:31 PM
I gotta say those gear drives that they machine to make extra noise on purpose is the height of cornyness.

XClutchboy725
02-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.....
A lot of good points to consider....
She has a fairly fresh Cloyes double-roller chain right now......I think I'll stick with it!!
Don't fix it if it's not broken right???????

LakesOnly
02-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Racing Ray hit the nail on the head; spend the extra money on a high quality name brand double roller (which is still way less than a gear drive). It's the superior set-up for your application.
EVERY V8 ENGINE I HAVE EVER OWNED (or may buy) was parked in my driveway the very next weekend where the front cover was removed and the worn, crappy, "nylon-gears-and-stretched-chain" timing set was pulled and literally THROWN http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif across the street into my neighbors bushes. I can't believe stock engines ever came with those things (few do these days).
All my motors get double rollers.
LO
[This message has been edited by LakesOnly (edited February 12, 2002).]

turbo
02-12-2002, 08:08 PM
I have a pete jackson in my rig.someone gave it to me. so far works perfectly. there was a local mercruiser dealer that burned down some years back. so I noticed there were shelves of mercruiser engines 4 6 8 cylinder. the front covers were not on them, every one on that shelf had a gear drive on it.

crzyhotrod
02-12-2002, 09:23 PM
I've run a geardrive longer than I can remember. I also have the rotating assy netural balanced and am using a fluid dampner. Any profecient professional eng builder will tell you that everything is netural, it shall remain that way until something goes array. I havent had any problems at all! I wouldnt hesitate to buy another---seems everytime I used chains, timing was all over the the range after about 20 hrs or so--timing varied alot or jumped round. Ive never had that problem with the gear. Just my experiences in a whole lotta yrs!

oldphart
02-13-2002, 07:58 PM
I've been circle track racing cars for over 20 years and I gotta say that the gear drive or belt drive is the way to go. Even with quality double rollers the constant on and off throttle and the high spring pressures and quick ramps impart a lot of force on a timing chain. We freshen our engines every 10 races and the chains were shot. Havent had any problems with the pete jackson gear drives and they last through several freshenings. If youve got harmonic distortions telegraphing through the gear drive at the 5000 RPMS we use in the boats you'd have real problems at the 7000 those of us with small wallets run. The boys with the fat wallets run the belt drives and see 8500+. Just my humble opinion

robb
02-13-2002, 08:30 PM
Don't use a floating idler type like the Pete Jackson I used. My gear drive ate itself up after 10 hours in my 468 BBC. The problem I had was with the idler. It didn't stay together as a two gear unit. The idler gears chewed each other up when the bushings/pins came loose. It went sounding great to a very loud scratching screaming whine in seconds. Luckily, the timing held and the engine survived. I would recommend a Milodon or high end fixed idler within the case instead of a floater.

XClutchboy725
02-14-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone........
I wanted to run the Idler Type set up 'cause I don't want the trouble and expense of a new cover (plus I kinda like the way mine looks). The harmonics stuff concerns me, but my rotating assy is neutral balanced anyway with Fluidampr. Edelbrock looks like they sell a pretty stout unit?