PDA

View Full Version : ?'S About Ebay purchase from another Country

cyclone
02-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I stumbled across a sweet deal on a YFZ450 on ebay. I emailed the seller as instructed on the ad to say I'm interested in the bike because he's selling it real cheap. Turns out the guy lives in Greece. I'm a little worried about buying a bike that far away. It's all stock, but how can I gurantee that this guy won't take my money and run? anyone have any experience with something like this?

canuck1
02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Send me the money and I'll go get it for you :wink:

cyclone
02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm not joking. Here's the email he sent to me:
"Hello
I am glad that you are interested in my 2004 YAMAHA YFZ450 .
Price is 2500$ shipping included.The quad is in perfect condition with no dents no scratches and no accidents.My Yamaha is a US quad with us specs and has a US clear title.
You might say that this is a bargain!I used to live in US but I moved in Athens,Greece.I got married and moved here.About the price...I am selling it at this price because it is difficult and expensive to transfer registrations from US to Greece.About payment I must add that it will be done using a secure service.
Please let me know if you are interested in my quad"
Is there some way to check the title to make sure he does own it or verify where he lives?

Jbb
02-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Beware....Lots of scams going on with respect to credit cards being used overseas....your options for recovery are very limited...
Does the seller have any feedback?

ratso
02-18-2005, 10:45 AM
I hit a 2 million dollar lottery in South America... All I had to do was send $6000 and they would transfer the money to my bank account. :notam:

cyclone
02-18-2005, 10:47 AM
well i guess this settles it. I went back to ebay to check the ad again and found this:
This listing (7955152138) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.
If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction canceled. If anybody contacts you to complete the sale, please ignore the request. Completing the sale outside of eBay may be unsafe and will not be covered by eBay purchase protection programs.
sorry guys. Nevermind. Thought it sounded too good to be true. guess it was.

cyclone
02-18-2005, 10:49 AM
thanks man.

ratso
02-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Careful with that Tom Brown dude from Canada too... nothing but negative feedback. :hammer2:

roostwear
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Use a third party escrow account. You would deposit the money into the account, then the seller would ship the quad. When you receive it, then the funds are sent to the seller. If he doesn't ship, you're not out anything. Set a time limit to receive the goods. If not received within (let's say) 60 days, the funds would be returned to you. Protects both of you. If he insists on direct payment before shipping, look for another quad.

roostwear
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Never mind......

cyclone
02-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Use a third party escrow account. You would deposit the money into the account, then the seller would ship the quad. When you receive it, then the funds are sent to the seller. If he doesn't ship, you're not out anything. Set a time limit to receive the goods. If not received within (let's say) 60 days, the funds would be returned to you. Protects both of you. If he insists on direct payment before shipping, look for another quad.
that's a great idea. I'll use it if I actually find something to buy in the future where the seller isnt a crook. I just got an email from another guy selling the same bike, this time from the Czech Republic. I'm thinking these guys are in cahoots.

PHX ATC
02-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Watch your email inbasket fill up with spam.
They use your questions (email address) to get your addy and then spam it up.
Simple scam, had it happen when I just can't let too good to be true alone...I have to ask a stupid ass question about a product that is unbelievably cheap. Then, the moron will send me a happy email back that has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Jrocket
02-18-2005, 01:37 PM
There you go. After us Power Sellers sniff it out, we report it and it gets pulled. The system works.
What are you Power selling on there?

Daytona19
02-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Sucker born every minute !!! Dont be one of them....

Sane Asylum
02-19-2005, 07:17 AM
I hate to quote my mother.......BUT
If it's too good to be true then it's probably not true..............
Did I just quote my mother.....I think I'm turning into her.....
And by the way...Don't make me pull this car over..... :2purples:

switchin'addiction
02-19-2005, 07:25 AM
I hit a 2 million dollar lottery in South America... All I had to do was send $6000 and they would transfer the money to my bank account. :notam:
You too! :D

manuel
02-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Check out this guys way of dealing with scammers,
Fun with scammers (http://saabnet.com/tsn/class/scam/) :D

a catered life
02-19-2005, 11:57 AM
this was well said
and by the way i have some prime swap land for sale in southern cali thats just been zoned for residential usage send me $5000.00 to invest for your future :smile: