PDA

View Full Version : going gelcoat!! see my step by steps here for thos interested

chasinTail
02-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:56 am Post subject: i have gone Gelcoat!!! follow this post for detailed steps!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well after much research i have finally decided to go with gelcoat on my boat. i have found a company online called Fibreglast (www.fibreglast.com) who sells everything you need to spray gelcoat right from your own hvlp gun! i am using a line of products made by Duratec. i am using Duratec's Polyester Clear gelcoat along with they're Polyester Clear Hi-gloss Additive. the aditive is mixed 1:1 with the Gelcoat to make it sprayable from an HVLP atomotive sprayer. i will get the color from a tinting payste (black). the Tech portion of their company gave me lots of advice and a lot of helpfull information on their web sight.
here is a pic of all my products
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9752gelcoat_001-med.jpg
to the left number 173 is the gel coat itself.. the two funny looking clear containers have the MEKP hardner in it. the funnel top is an easy way to measure your MEKP. you just squeeze the bottle until the right ammount is seeked, then you poor. the credit card looking thing is a thikness guage. the thickness will make or brake a gelcoat application. you want your product to end up anywhere from 15 to 20 mils. if its too thin it wont cure, if its too thick it will wrinkle and shrink from curing too hot or too fast. you just tap the edge of the guage into the gelcoat and read the dots.. it will tell you how thick you are. the two small cans are my toners. black.. and the two 1 gallon cans listed as clear hi-gloss additive is just that.. its what you mix 1 to 1 with the gelcoat to spray it from a gun
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9752gelcoat_002-med.jpg
Here is a closeup of the mil spec guage.. see how the perferations continue to raise up.. those would leave marks in the gel untill one didnt touch.. the thickness of your gelcoat!! im also spraying my friends bottom of his boat white gelcoat.. im doing his first~!! haha that way i will know better how to do mine! i will update you guys with more as it happens. i will try to catch every phase as it unfolds for those of you more curious about gelcoat. if all turns out the way i hope it does.. its acctually cheaper to go with getcoat. it cost me 176.00 for :
1) MEKP dispenser
1) 8oz. bottle of the MEKP
1) Gallon of the clear Gelcoat
1) Gallon of the clear additive
1) pint of black pigment
1) thickness guage
thats enough to spray the entire bottom and sides of my 19' bahner at
15-20 mils.
also they higly recomend spraying their product over a polyester based primer.. incidentally i had sprayed a primer called "Feather Fill" on my boat due to its filling qualities and as it turns out it is a polyester primer.. basicly a sprayable bondo! it cost me 53.00 for a gallon at my local automotive paint supply store.
As soon as the weather here in San Jose clears up i will have a progress report for you guys.
more comming soon!!
George

fkeys
02-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Great....I'll be waiting for the news & advise. :D

victorfb
02-19-2005, 09:49 AM
sounds like youve done your homework and ready to get some hands on experience. i too was going to spray some gel on the tahiti and fiberglast was the company i was going to go through aswell. they seem to have a great selection of colors and are very informative. and thier prices seemed very reasonable. i think you did good and wish you the best on your project. im sure its going to come out great. keep us posted please.

AZKC
02-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Good info :wink: