PDA

View Full Version : i need help with title info

ibboatpimp
02-19-2005, 10:56 AM
[B]im looking to buy what im told to be a 1965 mandella 17.6 flat bottom jet but the guy says it has not title due to being a drag boat all its life . this sounds a lil scarry but i like the boat and the guy says hell give me a bill of sale what do u all think im looking to pick it up in the next 4 hrs

victorfb
02-19-2005, 11:10 AM
my rogers has no HIN molded in the hull since it too was a race boat. back then it was not mandatory to have HIN numbers molded in the hull. i bought mine used that the prior owner did get it registered so it allready had a title and registration. you may have a bit of trouble registering it as a 1965 boat if it doesnt have any tags that says its manufacturing date, but it is possible. look for any tags, maybe a USCG weight limit tag.

sleekvino
02-19-2005, 11:11 AM
does the boat have a tralier on it if so its got a plate on it you could get some kind of info off of that?

Squirtin Thunder
02-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I would give Mike from Roostwear a call he can decode just about any info.
Jim

LakesOnly
02-19-2005, 11:34 AM
[B]im looking to buy what im told to be a 1965 mandella 17.6 flat bottom jet but the guy says it has not title due to being a drag boat all its life . this sounds a lil scarry but i like the boat and the guy says hell give me a bill of sale what do u all think im looking to pick it up in the next 4 hrs
I bought a hydro from out of state that was a drag boat and was never used on public waterways. Even the trailer had no reg/no plate/no pink slip. For this reason, it had absolutely no registration of any kind. The title that was given to me was that of yet another previous owner from yet another (third) state.
All this dated paperwork and lack of records in the DMV's database was a big red flag in the eyes of the DMV. Registering my boat was going to be a major, major undertaking if I were to jump through all the hoops that the DMV was requesting. Instead, I politely stated that since the boat would remain a race boat and therefore never be on public waterways, I'll pass on the registration...and asked for my paperwork back.
Then I went to another DMV and started the process all over again and it was registered in less than five minutes without bringing any paperwork into the building. ;)
PM me with your number and I'll give you specific instructions over the phone how to get your boat registered. It's a walk in the park.
LO
p.s. If I don't get back to you ASAP, go ahead and buy the boat if you want it...registration will be no problem.

victorfb
02-19-2005, 11:46 AM
also if you have a AAA membership, thier registration tactics are by far less restrictive. that alone makes the membership fees well worth it.

LakesOnly
02-19-2005, 11:49 AM
AAA is a godsend when it comes to avoiding the lines at the DMV. :D Unfortunately, they cannot process VIN verifications and such because they are not official DMV reps... :( ...they have access to the DMV records but they cannot create new DMV files.
LO

ibboatpimp
02-19-2005, 12:02 PM
no this hull has no numbers what so ever but from what i get from u guys is that it can still be registered right

hondajoey
02-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Just like lakesonly said
go down and they will inspect it and you can get it registered with a bill of sale from the orginal owner, i did it with an old boat in az

LakesOnly
02-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Do they then call it "Special Construction" on the title? Thats what happened to me with an old Sanger Shovel with no #'s.
The hydro came on a Competitive trailer with no license plate, no paper work or numbers anywhere. The CHP reassigned a new number plate and rivetted it to the trailer tongue. The Competitive trailer is now registered as "Special Construction."
But due to the way I registered the hydro, it is still documented as a Di Marco on the pink slip. :D :D :D In my case, the HIN is included.
LO

NAMarine
02-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Anything before 73 or 74 has no HIN's and only needs a bill of sale(at least here in FL)