PDA

View Full Version : what it takes to beat the new noise law

azwanabe
02-19-2005, 03:26 PM
we had problems last summer in wisconsin with this new noise law.what we used on our ot headers was to use one set of bassett mufflers with a set of ggb exhaust technogies clamp on mufflers.when you are testedyou need to have your idle as low as possible.four of the boats in our group passed with under 87 dbs.best of all no power loss.my boat still spins a A impeller 5600.its not a bad sound either .it worked for us.

BLEWBAYOU1
02-19-2005, 05:26 PM
What are gga and do you have any pictures? we need pictures.
Thanks Brian :p

Squirtcha?
02-19-2005, 06:10 PM
best of all no power loss.my boat still spins a A impeller 5600.its not a bad sound either .it worked for us.
I don't recall anyone installing a set of any kind of baffles or mufflers that didn't lose rpm and speed.
It'd be great if true, but I'd have to see it.
No offense.

Heatseeker
02-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I think these are the one's:
http://www.ggb.ca/images/hflclampondia.jpg

Danhercules
02-19-2005, 07:56 PM
I bet Basset is workin on somthin. Just wait.

Nucking futs
02-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Why would you want to post something that says we can meet the new set standard? If nobody can meet the new noise laws then they would have to rewrite the law. Just my pennies worth.
Tim

Squirtin Thunder
02-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Why would you want to post something that says we can meet the new set standard? If nobody can meet the new noise laws then they would have to rewrite the law. Just my pennies worth.
Tim
I am with you on that Tim !!!

steelcomp
02-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I run my Basset spiral mufflers and my boat thinks I stuffed a cork up it's ass. Hey, wait a minute...I DID!!! It dosen't like it AT ALL!! I always bring them with me in my boating stuff "box", but haven't had to install them yet. We'll see what this year brings. There's some pretty cool slip on race mufflers, but I have a feeling that they're not going to be quiet enough.

likeFATHERlikeSON3
02-19-2005, 10:56 PM
here is there website. i talked to them they said they will bring you down to legal db's but with "slightly" noticable power loss. They run $162 a piece.
also talked to paul at bassett, he said they are working on something for the new law due out mid-march
im waiting personally...
http://www.ggb.ca/clamponhfl.shtml

steelcomp
02-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Wow...they have a performance guarantee..."if your motor loses power because of our mufflers, we'll buy them back". That's pretty cool. Not that xpensive, either. here is there website. i talked to them they said they will bring you down to legal db's but with "slightly" noticable power loss. They run $162 a piece.
also talked to paul at bassett, he said they are working on something for the new law due out mid-march
im waiting personally...
http://www.ggb.ca/clamponhfl.shtml

likeFATHERlikeSON3
02-19-2005, 11:19 PM
And they guarantee 90db or less? With any motor?
Not questioning your comment just the muffler....
he said that most n/a motors would be well under 90db. blower motors might be a different story.
you might want to check a little more into there money back guarantee. as i understand it it is very limited

Ken F
02-20-2005, 05:39 AM
Dan Hercules, nice 300SL! Is that yours?
Ken F

Sanger D
02-20-2005, 08:01 AM
people with like 800+ hp WILL NOT be able to meet the dcb,s required,not with water and or baffles or mufflers,guys with less hp MIGHT be able to but you had better have good muffs. or baff.+ water and be idling at 800 rpms or less, and then of course it all depends on the jack ass monkey f2!#$k who,s giving the test, and back ground noise ect. ect..of course this all depends also what type of headers,thruogh transom,doable.over tran.,you might get lucky.zoomies,forget it!!!and I thought a while back someone said they did and with no hp loss,(pull your head out!!! aint gonna happen!!!)BUT I wish it could and hope some day someone will!!!

Sanger D
02-20-2005, 08:11 AM
I talk to paul bassett once every two weeks, he,s been keepin me up on his testing and when I talked to him 3 days ago,he informed me that high hp motor guys will have a VERY HARD time meeting the dcb,s and that lower hp applications MIGHT make it but you,d had better be ideling at 800 to 500 rpms. and you WILL have a signifegant hp loss.I have a new set of headers and inserts commin from himso I,ll try but I think as long as you are doin something ti try to quiet it down they might let you go,older school cops already know this is a great challenge to do,so they will prob. be more forgiving ,(so I,m told). GOOD LUCK

maddogeast
02-20-2005, 03:51 PM
i have been running the same set of SUPER TRAPP muffs for 25 yrs. on my present and last 4 jets and depending on how many diffuser disc's you run--you can quiet it right down if need be ,but i lose 250 rpm,or add disc's with no power loss and still be respectable enough to keep away the heat.-----i don't know if they are still in business,but mine are still like new and work great---wonder why bassett or rewarder don't reintroduce them?? they are the best ot header muffs i have used--i gave the bassett slip ins away. i would lose 500 rpm on the old motor and that was to much cork to live with.

Sanger D
02-20-2005, 04:54 PM
i have been running the same set of SUPER TRAPP muffs for 25 yrs. on my present and last 4 jets and depending on how many diffuser disc's you run--you can quiet it right down if need be ,but i lose 250 rpm,or add disc's with no power loss and still be respectable enough to keep away the heat.-----i don't know if they are still in business,but mine are still like new and work great---wonder why bassett or rewarder don't reintroduce them?? they are the best ot header muffs i have used--i gave the bassett slip ins away. i would lose 500 rpm on the old motor and that was to much cork to live with. shit, senior moment ,I remember runnin those on the cracker box at long beach,then right before the race we,d loosen up the plates and flow it a little easier,I remember they would rattle like hell ,thats how I new Ihad em loose enuogh they worked great,but I don,t know if you can get a high hp boat to be 90 dcb,s.its worth a try if you can find em. :)

BrendellaJet
02-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Supertrapp (http://www.supertrapp.com/)

DEL51
02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
people with like 800+ hp WILL NOT be able to meet the dcb,s required,not with water and or baffles or mufflers,guys with less hp MIGHT be able to but you had better have good muffs. or baff.+ water and be idling at 800 rpms or less, and then of course it all depends on the jack ass monkey f2!#$k who,s giving the test, and back ground noise ect. ect..of course this all depends also what type of headers,thruogh transom,doable.over tran.,you might get lucky.zoomies,forget it!!!and I thought a while back someone said they did and with no hp loss,(pull your head out!!! aint gonna happen!!!)BUT I wish it could and hope some day someone will!!!
Guy who posted did not lose rpm. 5600 rpm. He is runnin a good engine combo with aluminum heads.His head is on straight. My blower motor removed the mufflers at full throttle.I think they are very high quality, especially compared to bassets.I wish I had secured them better.The fella at GBB is great and open to suggetions. I will work with him on my application. We may need a guy Like Dr. Bose.

Sanger D
02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Guy who posted did not lose rpm. 5600 rpm. He is runnin a good engine combo with aluminum heads.His head is on straight. My blower motor removed the mufflers at full throttle.I think they are very high quality, especially compared to bassets.I wish I had secured them better.The fella at GBB is great and open to suggetions. I will work with him on my application. We may need a guy Like Dr. Bose. well its good to know someone really made it happen,thats promising :D its a good thing noone was skiing behind you HAH, :supp: that could,ve been UGLY!!!!

dmontzsta
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I heard thru transom works well. :)

Cas
02-22-2005, 12:40 AM
click on the Sandbar forum and look at the ad in the header, Rex Marine already has mufflers that will pass the j2005 test. Rex has done a lot of testing with many different types of mufflers and came up with something good.
As far as Supertrapps go, I called them about 5 months ago, they quit making the marine trapps. They were kind enough to send me all the detailed instructions on how to build them for OT pipes. They still carry all the discs and a few different style end caps that can be modified to fit.
For me, I went with TT headers with a baffle. At idle it's really quiet and shouldn't have any problems passing the dock test. As far as the other test, I don't know but I'm pretty sure the noise is more than the allowable db.

Fogged Gullwing
02-22-2005, 02:22 AM
I'm going to go with the Borla dragster collector mufflers All stainless steel including the packing. A little pricey but on the dyno they didn't lose all that much.
Later BK

OkieDave
02-22-2005, 05:57 AM
I just want to know how we got stuck with such a low limit? who came up with the limit and how did they get it into law? according to the march issue of Popular Mechanics magazine, the quietest of several lawn mowers tested came in at 94 DCB and they went up to 99.5. can we collectvely do anything about getting the law kicked out?

Squirtin Thunder
02-22-2005, 07:19 AM
So to my understanding there is two standards;
One for new boats
And another for old boats
I know I saw them somewhere but don't remember what the standards where.
I think my Sanger fitts into the old boat catagory, 1977 ???
Jim

Cas
02-22-2005, 08:08 AM
people amaze me!
Everyone should have stepped up months and months ago to try and do something about the noise laws.....when WE ALL had the chance to be heard.
At this point, I'm just going to laugh at everyone that complains :D
For any of you that might be in another state other than CA, here's your chance to learn a good lesson. Get involved and get yourself educated on what's going on in your state's government. You CAN help prevent laws from being signed that will affect you. People here will be bitching and complaining for months to come but we could have done something about it!
do a search on here ST, there's been all kinds of threads regarding the noise laws