PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Canton oil pan on a 460?

Jake W2
02-19-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a Canton pan I bought used.When I went to fit it up the pick up tube only goes stright and then turns down topick up the oil.the problem the oil pump would need an elbow on it with a bolting flange to meet the pick up tube.
So my question is (guys that are running one of these)am I missing a pice to make the pick up tube meet the oil pump?Or is there a diffrent oil pump I need?
Jake

steelcomp
02-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I have a Canton pan I bought used.When I went to fit it up the pick up tube only goes stright and then turns down topick up the oil.the problem the oil pump would need an elbow on it with a bolting flange to meet the pick up tube.
So my question is (guys that are running one of these)am I missing a pice to make the pick up tube meet the oil pump?Or is there a diffrent oil pump I need?
Jake
Is it a standard pump or CJ pump? I think there's a big difference, but I don't remember exactly. I think I even remembre something about a "dual" pick up in CJ's...just been too long. You should be able to get ahold of Canton...wait...I have a Canton catalogue. It says you need pick up p/n 18-761 for use with Melling oil pump p/n M84D (Ford truck pump flange style pick up) or M84DHV (Ford HV truck pump flange pick up) WHICH ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS APPLICATION. There's no picture of the pick up, but it looks as if the outlet of the pump they show (M84DHV) comes straight out of the pump, not off to the side, or pointing down towards the pan like the CJ pump.
Hope this helps. :coffeycup

Jake W2
02-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I am sure it is a standerd pump.I guess I will call Canton on Monday.
The pick up tube I have(for the Canton) has two bolt holes to hold it on and my oil pump just has a place for a tube to slip in and it is on the bottom where as the pick up tube needs to be mounted to the side of something or it needs a elbow to complete the conection.
Jake

steelcomp
02-19-2005, 09:21 PM
read my edited post

LakesOnly
02-19-2005, 11:18 PM
The pick up tube I have(for the Canton) has two bolt holes to hold it on and my oil pump just has a place for a tube to slip in ...
Jake
Jake,
Ford has essentially three different 429/460 oil pumps available.
a stock passenger car oil pump with a press-in pickup tube
a Cobra Jet style oil pump that uses a pickup with a bolt-on flange, and,
a truck-style oil pump that uses a pickup with a bolt-on flange
Your oil pump that is currently on your engine is a standard issue 429/460 oil pump that utilizes the mass-produced press-in pickup.
The oil pump pickup that came with the canton has a mounting flange that bolts to a different style pump, which is either a CJ style pump of a truck style pump.
If the pickup mating flange is 45* to the bottom of the pan, then you need a Cobra Jet pump. If the pickup mating flange is 90* to the bottom of the pan, then you need a truck pump.
Whatever the case, DO NOT find a different pickup to press into your existing pump (nor should you modify your existing pickup with the mouting flange). Instead, remove that pump and get the proper pump for the bolt-on pickup.
I will try to get pictures tomorrow if you're still confused...just let me know.
LO

steelcomp
02-19-2005, 11:22 PM
:idea: ...I have a Canton catalogue. It says you need (and have) pick up p/n 18-761 for use with Melling oil pump p/n M84D (Ford truck pump flange style pick up) or M84DHV (Ford HV truck pump flange pick up) WHICH ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS APPLICATION.

Jake W2
02-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks Steel.
Lakes that makes a clear picture for me thanks.
When I hold the pick up tube where it should go the mounting holes would be pretty much horizontal with the block.So that is not really a 45 or 90 but I guess closer to a 45 because it could be tilted a bit.
Jake

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Jake, I'm sure Canton will guide you correctly. If I remember right, Melling has two that allow for the bolt on pick-up. The pick-up flange is slightly different on both of these pumps. One is a M84BHV and the other a M84EHV. The flange to bolt the pick-up on is of the same angle, just longer on the EHV. In other words, your pick-up will mount in the same fashion on both pumps, but the screen end of the p/u tube might miss the main cap mounting location. :idea: Let me know if this is correct, it's been a while since working with pans other than Milodon.......Doug

steelcomp
02-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Jake, I'm sure Canton will guide you correctly. If I remember right, Melling has two that allow for the bolt on pick-up. The pick-up flange is slightly different on both of these pumps. One is a M84BHV and the other a M84EHV. The flange to bolt the pick-up on is of the same angle, just longer on the EHV. In other words, your pick-up will mount in the same fashion on both pumps, but the screen end of the p/u tube might miss the main cap mounting location. :idea: Let me know if this is correct, it's been a while since working with pans other than Milodon.......Doug
It says you need pick up p/n 18-761 (which you have) for use with Melling oil pump p/n M84D (Ford truck pump flange style pick up) or M84DHV (Ford HV truck pump flange pick up) WHICH ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS APPLICATION. :wink:

Jake W2
02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Talked to Canton today and it is the truck pump M84D or M84dHV they said either one would work.
I ordered the M84DHV :rollside:
Jake

Jet Hydro
02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey Jake I called them for ya and they said to tell ya to "BUY A CHEVY" ;)

Jake W2
02-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Should have told that to Roger while he was stomping every ones ASS with his FORD. :crossx:
When are you gona step up to a FORD :eek:
Jake

Jet Hydro
02-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh man you just had to say that didnt ya.... it wasnt the motor it was the Hi-TechPerformance Aggressor Pump that did the stomping. :220v: :argue: :D

Jake W2
02-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Could be but I think that FORD did good in front of the Berk in the Cheyenne to. :rollside: NA no blower just some haul ass gas. :notam:
Jake

Jet Hydro
02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Yes it did, gota give it that much :wink: