PDA

View Full Version : Disney Land?

quiet riot
02-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Well, the wife says were taking the kids to Disney Land for spring break (I've ran out of excuses for not going.) Wife and kids only have a week off. What all should we do there? I'm from Oregon and never been to so cal. I think I'll go crazy with more than about 3 days of mickey mouse.
We're thinking of just getting a package deal with flight, hotel, passes etc but also looked into maybe doing an RV trip out of it but with only a week that wouldn't leave a lot of time for other stuff.
So, whats everones suggestions? Son is 13 so me and him would be into cool rides and stuff. Daughter is 6. Neither have been there before, but the wife has once. Is it worth doing an rv trip knowing we'd have about 15 hours drive time each way? Short disney (2-3 days) and check out sea world and other stuff or just spend a week at disney/ california adventures since we've never been before?
PS. I hate waiting in lines and such so I don't know about spending too much time there. Is there any bars at disney or that kinda thing?
jd

Flying Tiger
02-20-2005, 12:42 AM
If you belong to the Elks, they have 2 Lodges close by with excellent RV camping, + full hookups for about $10 per night. All kinds of food and drink specials inside.
If you're staying 3 days, you may want to check out Knotts Berry Farm too.
We used to be Disney season pass holders, but they kids have grown outta regular visits.
Several bars at the Hotels, and 1 cocktail and 1 beer bar at Calif Adventure too.
I usually can be found at the " Lost Bar " at the Hotel. It has some cool coin op attractions to keep the kids busy while ya get snockered.
Ya know ya spend too much time at the bar when ALL the employees know me by my first name.
The have a fast pass system to help with long waits in lines, but if the parks are crowded, it ain't so fast.
3 days at Disney is a stretch, I'd check out nearby Knotts too. Plenty for kids that are your kids ages to do at Knotts.
Knotts is a nice amusement park that really was a farm at one time. It was where the Boysenberry was brought to market (not invented), developed the first agricultural refrigerating systems west of the Rockies, teriffic food, unique character all it's own.

quiet riot
02-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks FT. If we rv'd it, is there something to do between the Redbluff to Sacramento area? Just thinking of a kinda inbetween point to break up the driving (kinda leaning toward flying still.) Toy'd around with the idea of dragging the boat down but not sure about leaving it at a campground while being at disney or such for a couple days. Plus its probably a little cold for Shasta at the end of March still. Any warm boating (for a little jet) around this area this time of year?
So, a couple days at Disney, 1 at Knotts. what else?
jd

Flying Tiger
02-20-2005, 01:10 AM
If you're gonna head furthur south, LegoLand on a weekday can be OK, in route to Sea World.
All LegoLand displays have a sense of humor. Ya take your time walking around, check out the teriffic Lego scenes and you'll soon realize the humor in every one of them, in addition to the awsum thought and skill in building them in the first place.. - Just my take, and most will agree after they visit and look a little closer.
Sea World Improved 1000% when Budwiser bought the place.
They sunk much needed millions into Sea World and it's pretty good.
Up near Sacramento is where a billionaire built a private amusement park, now open to the public, that the name escapes me. It's in Gilroy.
Avoid San Francisco. Absolutely, positively nothing to see in wienietown.

HOOTER SLED-
02-20-2005, 03:08 AM
DUde, If you are talking Spring Break, uhhhhh, Disneyland, crowded. If you don't like long lines, forget it. As long as So. Cal has a warm day, the amusement parks are crowded, period. Find a mild midweek day, and you are better off. Disneyland, no alcohol. If you get a Cal. Adventure/Disney pass, they have beer and I believe some kind of bar in Cal. Adventure Park.

quiet riot
02-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Not much choice on the timing, my son isn't doing good enough in school to take a week off. And I don't really want to go during the summer, got too much other stuff to do. And wifey wants the kids to go before they retire.
When is spring break in cali? Its March 20-26 for my kids.

Tom Brown
02-20-2005, 07:51 AM
What all should we do there?
Stay low to keep from being shot by the gang bangers.
Forget the RV. Your son is at the perfect age. You will enjoy it more than you expect. Map out your strategy for the big rides before each day and get fast passes. The rest is filler but there is a lot of stuff worth doing and it's a cool place to hang out.
Don't miss the tower of terror. Go on with your son and do your best to pretend it's no big deal. :cool:
Personally, I'd much rather go to DisneyWorld and go on the Rock 'N Rollercoaster as many times as fast passes will allow me. :)
Oh yeah... forget the RV.

Raisin Wake
02-20-2005, 08:08 AM
One day at Disneyland, one day at California Adventure, and maybe one day at Magic Mountain. You shouldn't need more then a day at each of Disney's parks. Especially, California Adventure. However, you need to go on Soring over California.

Flying Tiger
02-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Several RV parks in the area.
Orangeland is OK, is closeby and has a shuttle to Disney.
Disney had a top rated RV park but is now the worlds largest parking garage.
The monorail runs over to the hotels, or you can walk the route via downtown Disney.
Several bars along that route, and several more bars at the hotels.
The Lost Bar has live entertainment from late afternoon to 11 pm.
Also a shuttle tram from the parking shuttle tram station between Calif Adventure & Disney to the Hotels.
A Mc Donalds is on Harbor Bl, a short walk across the street from Disney. You can spot it from the parking lot tram station. It's about 30%+ higher priced than the average Mc Donalds, no special priced promotions ever, and has a Anaheim PD sub-station in the parking lot because of problems with local skid kids, usually at night.
The fast pass system on a busy day still means a 2+ hour wait, sometimes as long as 4 hours before you can use the pass. In that case, the system usually shuts down around 7 pm.
Good, easy to get Food in Disney:
On a busy day is the Bengal Barbeque in Adventureland. Ya then walk up the nearby stairs to the Disney art gallery where you'll usually find vacant picnic tables in a really nice, quiet setting.
The Pizza Place by the big Orange (your little one will love the swings in the Orange) in Calif Adventure has beer. It'll be arguably, the most expensive beer and cardboard pizza you ever bought.
Theirs a seafood/bakery at Calif Adventure that has teriffic Clam Chowder in a fresh baked Calif Sourdough bread bowl. I mention this because the lines move relatively quicker that most other Disney food places. If quicker is a fair word to use.
If ya can't hammer a nail with a loaf of Sourdough bread then it isn't Calif style. Theirs usually a beer vending truck very closeby, with about 10 different brands of beer on tap. A 16 oz draft in a day glo green cup was about $5 last I visited. Usually served by whatever over 21 Disney employee they can rotate there so often it's a fine looking co-ed in a Story Book Canal Boat ride or a Snow Whites Scary Adventure kinda dress. Just cool to see them serving booze.
The Calif Adventure roller coaster is superb. Soaring over Calif is cool too. Must sees in my book.
At Knotts the Chicken dinner is legendary, and the Navajo Tacos at the Engine village are great too.
Have fun. Consider flying down, getting a cheap room and rent a car.

little rowe boat
02-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Fly down,rent a car and hit a different park each day.
1st 2 days at Disneyland and Calif. adventure,then go to knotts berry farm,seaworld,magic mountain.
Magic mountain has the best rides.

Dusty Times
02-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Along with what everyone has said
Be at the gate when it opens each day. Go to your favorite rides wich would normanlly have the longest lines and you can ride atleast twice with no wait at all. And of course go on weekdays if possible. I usually take my kids on a Fri-Sun morning trip.

Sane Asylum
02-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Proceed to Barnes and Noble and pick up........"The unofficial guide to Disneyland".............It tells you exactly what to do for the amount of days you're there........It get down to the detail of optimum times for picking up fast passes etc......
Don't go during spring break......Middle of the week during non spring break is the best....
Have fun......Don't worry about what Tom Brown says......Gangbangers are really nice people....... :supp:

moneypit
02-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Dont Forget to hit up the Spearmint Rhino (Adult theme park)

JackieV
02-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Well, the wife says were taking the kids to Disney Land for spring break (I've ran out of excuses for not going.) Wife and kids only have a week off. What all should we do there? I'm from Oregon and never been to so cal. I think I'll go crazy with more than about 3 days of mickey mouse.
We're thinking of just getting a package deal with flight, hotel, passes etc but also looked into maybe doing an RV trip out of it but with only a week that wouldn't leave a lot of time for other stuff.
So, whats everones suggestions? Son is 13 so me and him would be into cool rides and stuff. Daughter is 6. Neither have been there before, but the wife has once. Is it worth doing an rv trip knowing we'd have about 15 hours drive time each way? Short disney (2-3 days) and check out sea world and other stuff or just spend a week at disney/ california adventures since we've never been before?
PS. I hate waiting in lines and such so I don't know about spending too much time there. Is there any bars at disney or that kinda thing?
jd
I can get you discounted tickets from a Credit Union that I used to work at! They are open Mon-Fri from 8 to 5pm. I am not sure how much they are going for now being that I quit about 2 1/2 months ago.
Here is the number: 626-814-4611 you want to speak to Deborah Johnstone. Try the website too, hopefully it's been updated, www.tsaspecialmemberservices.com or it might be www.tsaspecialservices.com I can't remember, it's sunday or else I would just call and get the price for you.
It's pretty convienent just tell her you would like them mailed to you.