PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite alluminum polish.

dmontzsta
02-20-2005, 09:39 AM
What is your favorite alluminum polish?

ACCEPTENCE
02-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Sending it out to a shop for a repolish works for me :idea:
Life is to short to hand polish!!!

Moneypitt
02-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Magic, the lazy man's metal polish works for me........I actually sit close to whoever is doing the polishing and hand them clean rags as required..........MP

dmontzsta
02-20-2005, 10:06 AM
You guys are horrible, come on. haha

repo man
02-20-2005, 10:33 AM
it's called ''billet'' i believe it's made by eagle one. hands down the best.

Sanger D
02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
theres no shine like mothers!!!

v-drive
02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Sorry D,I don't remember the name but it's really good shit. I used it on your exhaust plugs and all of my stuff when I was done buffing...v-drive

Jet City
02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
it's called ''billet'' i believe it's made by eagle one. hands down the best.
Thats what I use, its a diamond paste, works well for polishing, I use never dull to keep it that way.

Sanger D
02-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I used never dull once and it seemed to leave little scratch marks,it never really quite got the real smooth shine goin,but I heard that billet polish was killer stuff ,I,ve just always used mothers.try using mothers instead of never dull,you might like it better!!!it works well keeping the shine and is easy to use,no hard rubbing just on then off :D
Sanger D
BTW are you talkin bout the never dull in a mettle can,its kind of a cotten swabby stuff??,if so ,dude you gotta try mothers insead ,you will dig it!!!

Jet City
02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I used never dull once and it seemed to leave little scratch marks,it never really quite got the real smooth shine goin,but I heard that billet polish was killer stuff ,I,ve just always used mothers.try using mothers instead of never dull,you might like it better!!!it works well keeping the shine and is easy to use,no hard rubbing just on then off :D
Sanger D
The Eagle polish and Mothers are basically the same, a diamond paste, I've used both over the years. I haden't noticed any scratches with never dull.

Back Forty
02-20-2005, 11:38 AM
The cotton wad like never dull is great for daily maintnence. I like to use mothers anytime I have to cut in a fresh piece or other more rough finishes like my exhaust tips after a day out.
Speaking of never dull the military has a synthetic or highly refined cotton style that rocks. I think it was called metal masters or something. It never left scratches. The raw cotton or whatever neverdull uses can leave scratches as far as I have seen.
If you know anybody in the CG or NAVY see if you can get a can of that stuff (metal masters) It's far better than standard neverdull. I have the smell of that stuff tatoo'd in my memory... :squiggle: I have never seen this stuff in the civilian world.
Metal Master (http://www.fbodaily.com/archive/2001/12-December/28-Dec-2001/FBO-00010049.htm)
GOOD STUFF. Just use some sort of gloves. My finger tips are permanently damaged from this stuff. :messedup:

126driver
02-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Wenol. It's the shi-at.

sawtooth
02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a whole cabinet full of stuff I have tried, every time I go to a boat show, hot rod show or car show I come home with somthing new to try. I have to agree with 126driver, I have been using wenol for about a year....that is until I found LIGHTNING SHINE!!! :D This stuff is unreal, easy to use without the black and aching fingers. It is called Lightning Shine Metal Polish and it is made by Wicked Products. After you use it they have a spray that you put on called Myst Metal Maintainer. Your alum. will stay as bright as the day you polished it for at least 6 months, when your cleaning the ride just wipe with a damp cloth and spray with the maintainer....it seals the poors in the alum. which is where oxidizeing starts. I almost look forward to polishing on the boat now :)
WICKED PRODUCTS
CORONA, CA.
800-276-5474

LOWRIVER2
02-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Been using Extreme polish which is a wading. It's made in Texas and I get it at Wheel Warehouse in Anaheim. Brings out good depth/shine.
If I'm out, I can use Flitz sparingly/lol. I have a bunch of that for my uniform stuff, works great on other metals.

GofastRacer
02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Wenol hands down, havn't found anything better yet!.. :cool:

v-drive
02-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey D, Go fast has it right. Wenol is what I was using

dmontzsta
02-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Where do you buy Wenol?
I just went with repo man to Harbor Freight and picked up one of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36127
Let the polishing begin...I am going to polish up every piece I can find and I want to get some good polish to apply after every trip.

superdave013
02-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Where do you buy Wenol?
I just went with repo man to Harbor Freight and picked up one of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36127
Let the polishing begin...I am going to polish up every piece I can find and I want to get some good polish to apply after every trip.
go to the Long Beach Swapmeet to get all your buffing supplies. Some guy rolls in there in a big bus that's full of that stuff. He has all the compounds in bricks. He also has the buffing wheels. I run 14" buffs on my set up. I have a different buffing wheel for each compound.

dmontzsta
02-20-2005, 07:25 PM
go to the Long Beach Swapmeet to get all your buffing supplies. Some guy rolls in there in a big bus that's full of that stuff. He has all the compounds in bricks. He also has the buffing wheels. I run 14" buffs on my set up. I have a different buffing wheel for each compound.
True. I will have to take a trip there. Thanks for the tip Dave.

flattie
02-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I use Blue Magic Same stuff the polishers use

EXTREMEBOATS
02-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Mike uses Never Dull. It is a wadding type but he hasn't found anything better. Just rub it in and let it sit for about 5 minutes(that is the trick) wipe it off and repeat if necessary, In between cleaning use a premium liquid auto wax like a 3M product this will make it easier to keep up between polishings. :cool: :hammerhea :hammerhea

DaveA
02-20-2005, 08:46 PM
In the wheel repair biz we use Wenol Red to polish, and Wenol Blue to maintain the shine without scratching. That's once we've got the wheels buffed out with the Tripoli and Blizzard white compounds. ZoopSeal keeps it shiny for months to come, especially if it's left out in the elements.
Big stuff gets done with a series of products by Nuvite Chemical (comes in tubs, even) and a Cyclo 2-headed buffer. When you've got what seems like 40 acres in surface area to polish, well, you need LOTS of Nuvite!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/176Cessna195N195RSJakeTurbo350_2.jpg
Look, Daddy, that airplane's Chrome-Plated!

Sleek-Jet
02-20-2005, 09:07 PM
That makes my arms hurt....
Sleek "Has helped polish a Luscombe before" Jet...
and yes, I know that's a 195

ONAROLL
02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
I use Blue Magic Same stuff the polishers use
Blue Magic, here as well........buffs out very quickly.........

EXTREMEBOATS
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
If I can make my plain hydro look that good I could call it a hydroplane? It flies just a little lower altitude! Thanks for the shiney info!!! We'll give it a try!! :rolleyes:

lucky
02-21-2005, 07:18 AM
What is your favorite alluminum polish?
lazy mans - is the bomb

tahitijet
02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm with lowriver i've been using extreme on our show trucks for years.. great stuff but it's getting really hard to find around here
Lately on the advice of someone on the sandbar forum i tried MAAS which is in the household cleaning area at walmart. At about 3 dollars a tube this stuff rocks. Cleans up the alumn like brand new and even cuts the water spots with very little effort and doesn't leave behind any residue.

DaveA
02-21-2005, 11:01 PM
That makes my arms hurt....
Sleek "Has helped polish a Luscombe before" Jet...
and yes, I know that's a 195
Figgered you did....
Oh, and with a 350hp turbo'd Jake to boot! :D