PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hubs

GRUNION
04-22-2006, 07:31 AM
QUICK QUESTION. How warm is acceptable on my trailer hubs I have a tripple axle trailor with drums. and the hubs are warm anytime i check them. I think I will repack the bearings today. But i was wondering if this is normal.

Havasu Hangin'
04-22-2006, 07:36 AM
My Pacific hubs don't run any hotter than the tires (the tires will transfer heat to the rims and hubs- if the hub is hotter than the tires, then it's the hub building heat).
My Extreme hubs ran very warm in the heat (hot to the touch). Extreme said that they do that because they are a little tighter than most.
Also...make sure you don't have a brake hanging up- been there, done that.

scarabrick2
04-22-2006, 07:37 AM
they should be a little warm. if you can put your hand on them and hold it there then they should be OK. If grease is running out of the seals and its in a liquid for then TOOOO Hot! We always add a pump or two before we launch everytime. Hot bearings and cool water equals bad jew jew. The grease helps displace the water so they bearings don't get a hot cold shock treatment.

GRUNION
04-22-2006, 07:46 AM
they should be a little warm. if you can put your hand on them and hold it there then they should be OK. If grease is running out of the seals and its in a liquid for then TOOOO Hot! We always add a pump or two before we launch everytime. Hot bearings and cool water equals bad jew jew. The grease helps displace the water so they bearings don't get a hot cold shock treatment.
so you carry a grease gun with you?

paradigm shift
04-22-2006, 07:59 AM
QUICK QUESTION. How warm is acceptable on my trailer hubs I have a tripple axle trailor with drums. and the hubs are warm anytime i check them. I think I will repack the bearings today. But i was wondering if this is normal.
On mine it depends on outside temperature and will run warmer in the day with the sun than during the night with the same temperature. I always do the feel routine of the hubs and tires every time we stop. Even in the heat of the summer I can leave my hand on the hubs. They are pretty warm but not so hot I can not hold my hand on them. During the cool months they hardly warm up. By doing rountine checks all the time I can tell early on when things start to change before trouble starts.
My trailer bearings-hubs start to run warmer than normal when the grease starts to go or gets too much water. I usually pull mine completly apart and clean ALL the grease from hubs and bearings and inspect. I re-pack with new grease and NEW SEALS every year. Carefull not to over tighten bearing preload or they will run warm or worse failure if really tight.
Just my routine and I can tow up to 7500 to 10,000 miles on a good year. Also check the brake adjusters to make sure they are not froze up and brake wheel cylinders for leaks. Probably more than some do but I have no bearings problems and you will see by inspecting bearings and races if they are getting bad. You probably need to just clean and re-pack but only way to tell is to inspect them. Don't forget to check shackles and spring fastners while your at it.
I only use bearing buddies and add a couple pumps of grease during the year. I do not dump mine in the water when bearings are hot from towing a long distance. Cool water on HOT hubs will pull moisture in to the grease. USE marine wheel bearing grease!!
Just my routine and my .02
I love my 3 axle trailer until it comes time for servicing bearings or buying new tires. :yuk: :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
04-22-2006, 08:03 AM
And don't use that crappy green marine grease- use a good Moly "no melt" grease. It won't save a bad bearing, but it won't liquify as fast...

GRUNION
04-22-2006, 08:12 AM
And don't use that crappy green marine grease- use a good Moly "no melt" grease. It won't save a bad bearing, but it won't liquify as fast...
whats a moly no melt grease all i have ever used is boat trailer grease.

GRUNION
04-22-2006, 08:13 AM
On mine it depends on outside temperature and will run warmer in the day with the sun than during the night with the same temperature. I always do the feel routine of the hubs and tires every time we stop. Even in the heat of the summer I can leave my hand on the hubs. They are pretty warm but not so hot I can not hold my hand on them. During the cool months they hardly warm up. By doing rountine checks all the time I can tell early on when things start to change before trouble starts.
My trailer bearings-hubs start to run warmer than normal when the grease starts to go or gets too much water. I usually pull mine completly apart and clean ALL the grease from hubs and bearings and inspect. I re-pack with new grease and NEW SEALS every year. Carefull not to over tighten bearing preload or they will run warm or worse failure if really tight.
Just my routine and I can tow up to 7500 to 10,000 miles on a good year. Also check the brake adjusters to make sure they are not froze up and brake wheel cylinders for leaks. Probably more than some do but I have no bearings problems and you will see by inspecting bearings and races if they are getting bad. You probably need to just clean and re-pack but only way to tell is to inspect them. Don't forget to check shackles and spring fastners while your at it.
I only use bearing buddies and add a couple pumps of grease during the year. I do not dump mine in the water when bearings are hot from towing a long distance. Cool water on HOT hubs will pull moisture in to the grease. USE marine wheel bearing grease!!
Just my routine and my .02
I love my 3 axle trailer until it comes time for servicing bearings or buying new tires. :yuk: :rollside:
My trailer doesnt have shackels and stuff its a torsion or somthing

paradigm shift
04-22-2006, 08:22 AM
In my opinion you need to use grease that will absorb the water and NOT displace it. Marine grease is designed to absorb the water to a point and still lubricate and keep bearings and races from rusting. You will get a lot of opinions and people stating specs on grease just like Dino vs. Synthetic oils.
Do the research and you decide what is best for your application. I have not had a problem with grease break down or melting other than water over time. Try and get the best seals you can for your hub they are NOT all the same.

scarabrick2
04-22-2006, 08:22 AM
so you carry a grease gun with you?
yes!!!
I just a a few pumps and in the water I go. I keep it in a plastic bag and wipe it clean with a paper towel every time. Your grease should NOT be rruunnyy. If so, there too hot!! Also, DON't over grease them. Put in just enough to compress the spring inside the bearing buddy. Most people who put in TOO much grease have it all over the trailer/wheels.

Havasu Hangin'
04-22-2006, 08:25 AM
whats a moly no melt grease all i have ever used is boat trailer grease.
I use Swepco 103 (http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/grease.htm) which is a high-temp Moly grease- big equipment guys should be familiar with it.
It won't liquify until damn near 400 degrees...cheap insurance.

paradigm shift
04-22-2006, 08:25 AM
My trailer doesnt have shackels and stuff its a torsion or somthing
Better yet! I just went to torsion bar and discs. Bearing maintenance will be the same just check the torgue or make sure axle and arm are tight to torsion bar. Depends if yours is one piece or two piece axles.

GRUNION
04-22-2006, 06:02 PM
ok finished my 6 hubs, what a chore that was. I replaced all the bearings and races, I ended up just useing boat trailer grease because its what I had. The temp was about 15 deg cooler on the way home from the shop then it was on the way there. Now I should be ready to haul it to havasu next weekend for the poker run. Thanks for your input guys.

Mandelon
04-22-2006, 10:32 PM
I bought this cool powder stuff from some guy on the internet. You add it to your bearing grease and it moleculary reduces the friction, so, you know, you get better mileage. :p :rolleyes: :p
The big grease companies wanted to buy it, but he'd rather sell it on the internet. :idea:

Outnumbered
04-23-2006, 07:52 AM
I bought this cool powder stuff from some guy on the internet. You add it to your bearing grease and it moleculary reduces the friction, so, you know, you get better mileage. :p :rolleyes: :p
The big grease companies wanted to buy it, but he'd rather sell it on the internet. :idea:
No, No, No, the powder sucks. Buy the pills--they work much better. :rollside:

GRUNION
04-23-2006, 09:29 AM
My friend told me that his friend told him if you mix the powder and the pills you will double your results.

beyondhelpin
04-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Wifey thinks the suppositories work best. :)