PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Eliminator Eagle Taking on Water

mikefd024
02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I have a 1996 23' Eagle that takes on water, but I do not know where it is coming from. Apparently in a design flaw the water fills the ski locker and has no where to go, except where the frame of the boat is not visible unless you take out the interior. Since it does not drain to the back of the boat where the bilge pump is, the boat fills until I drain by hand or with a submersible pump. Anyone have one of these boats that did or do the same, and what did you do about it??? I have been told by 2 glass people that the hull is fine. Anyones help would be appreciated...

Outnumbered
02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
I have a 1996 23' Eagle that takes on water, but I do not know where it is coming from. Apparently in a design flaw the water fills the ski locker and has no where to go, except where the frame of the boat is not visible unless you take out the interior. Since it does not drain to the back of the boat where the bilge pump is, the boat fills until I drain by hand or with a submersible pump. Anyone have one of these boats that did or do the same, and what did you do about it??? I have been told by 2 glass people that the hull is fine. Anyones help would be appreciated...
Are you sure it does not have two bilge pumps? There might be one up front and one in the rear. Eliminator boats are top of the line. I don't think they would have a faulty design. There are some people on here that have 23' Eagles. Go to the Sandbar and post a thread "attn 23' Eagle owners" or something like that. Sandbar gets way more action. Good luck.
OL

LAPII
02-20-2005, 09:54 PM
What kind of "speedo" do you have, GPS or mechanical?

Havasu Hangin'
02-21-2005, 05:07 AM
I would be very careful. If you are getting water into the transom (through a bolt hole, for example), it may have nowhere to go but into the sub-floor (that's how the ski locker will fill up).
I'd check the transom and floor for moisture (I knew a couple Eliminator guys who got a soft floor that way).

mikefd024
02-21-2005, 11:20 AM
I have a mechanical speedo, and there is only one bilge in the back. I know that eliminator is top of line but this is a really poor poor design flaw.

Eliminator 4 Life
02-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I heard of some people getting water in through the cup holders I know it sounds funny but you might try silconing those in :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
...and there is only one bilge in the back. I know that eliminator is top of line but this is a really poor poor design flaw.
Usually there is a small hole between the ski locker and the bilge. If there isn't, it's easy to drill one to allow the water to drain from the locker to the bilge.
However, more importantly, if the water can't get in from the bilge to the locker...where is it coming from? If it is more than what comes off the passengers after a swim...
...remember that scene from "Aliens" where they've barracaded themselves in the science building? Remember when they weld the doors shut, but they are still showing movement coming toward them? Remember when they all look up an realize the aliens are coming in from the ceiling?
Check the floor, partner.

TPI
02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Like HH said, There "should be a small 3/8-1/2" hole" at the lowest point between the bilge and ski locker. Maybe it was overlooked when the boat was layed up(it happens)? Maybe its there, and plugged by carpet or debris? Regardless, it would be pretty simple to drill another one. Any idea where the water is coming from?

mirvin
02-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Here's my guess: THe water is coming in throught the rub rail then working its way to the ski locker. Check the back of the rub rail; up under the helm; where the top and bottom of the boat come together. I've seen spots where they didn't glass a section that was hard to reach and everytime the boat leans in a turn it takes water through the rubrail.
Whatever it is, it seems like the only FACT you've established is that the water is ENTERING THE BOAT in front of the rear bulkhead AND that there is NO HOLE IN THAT BULKHEAD to let water drain into the bilge.
Regardless of where it's coming from you really need to find and or drill a hole through the rear bulkhead so water can get from the ski locker to the bilge.
Does the boat take water just sitting still??
Where are you located?
As always, pictures are your friends :D
mirvin

mikefd024
02-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I am in Cucamonga, there is no hole in the ski locker because it woulds drain to the fuel tank. And yes it takes on water sitting still...

LAPII
02-25-2005, 12:58 AM
Reason I asked about speedo is, my old man's 27 raysoncraft had same syptoms, found out when he changed his speedo to GPS, forgot to remove pitot tube and tubing and was getting water in through the tubing which exited right down into the middle of the boat. Just a thought maybe. If your speedo is working then probably not it.

mirvin
02-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Mike, I think you should get some pics of what you're describing. It sounds like we're not talking about the same areas.
Snap a pic of your ski locker and gas tank area and maybe your bilge area. The more the better.
If it's taking water sitting still the source "should" be obvious. It's got to be something below the water line that goes through the hull or transom. All hardware on the back of the boat should be scrutinized: drive, exhaust, swim steps, harware, speedo tube, etc.
The only other option would be a crack.........
mirvin
:cool:

BLEWBAYOU1
02-26-2005, 09:01 PM
If the speedo works it could still be leaking out a small hole or crack. It has to be below water line so I would look at every think below that with a fine tooth comb. My buddys 25' wellcraft sunk at the dock becouse his live bait wells thru hull fitting was cracked on the inside of the hull.($2.50 piece of plastic sunk his $30,000 boat) plastic fittings below water line or close to water line should be replaced with alum.,metal,stainless or brass fittings. and the hose that attaches to them crack and leak. I have seen those type of fittings even on ice box drains. I'm sure your bow eye is high above water line but if not check it for leaks.
Good Luck.
Have you contacted Eliminator to see if they have ever heard of this problem?
Brian :clover:

flat broke
03-08-2005, 04:57 PM
what comes in, must come out by the same hole right? If the ski locker is full of water from just sitting still , pull the boat out of the water, and get under the trailer to start looking for leaks. If your bilge pump is automatic it is possible the water is still entering from the drive or other hardware, filling up, then spilling over into the locker, only to have the bilge empty out when the pump goes on, leaving water in the locker.
With the boat on the trailer and the plug in, fill the blige with a hose. If it doesn't leak out from the drive or under the boat, dump the bilge then fill up the ski locker with a hose to see if you can raise the level of water in the locker high enough to get it to spill over into the bilge. If not, you can be pretty sure the water isn't coming from the bilge and spilling up into the locker.
Hope that helps,
Chris