PDA

View Full Version : DISAPPOINTING FEB. HOT BOAT ISSUE!!

Harlem
01-17-2002, 04:48 PM
I dont know about you guys but when I check my mail everyday I look inpatiently for my monthly issue to Hot Boat Mag. I just received Feb. issue today and am very disappointed with what I see. I counted it, there is only 1 boat in the whole mag. that is under 18 ft. It is the American Pie boat!! thats it!!! The whole mag. is about the normal 21+ boats!! This is getting rediculous!! If I had the money and time I'd start up a new mag. covering 17-21' jet boats! Hot Boat has a lot of good articles but cover little on the average jet boat. I'm sure that the majotity of the subscibers to Hot Boat mag. Have Jet boats under 21'
Thats my thoughts at least.
Maybe if we were to all write to Hot Boat telling them that we would like to see more small jet boats they might listen!!
Harlem

Ghighway
01-17-2002, 04:58 PM
Hey Harlem........ knock-knock anybody there? Just about 1/2 the threads these past 2 weeks have been on this issue! We have been flogging the dog here it ain't gonna get any better. But go ahead and post you opinion on the hot boat survey at leat it might make you feel better http://www.plauder-smilies.de/bounce/bluegrab.gif

bakerman
01-17-2002, 05:04 PM
im still waiting for my feb issue

RiverDave2
01-17-2002, 05:36 PM
They make boats under 21'? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
In all seriousness though, I'd bet there isn't to many boats under 18', that's gettin pretty small even for a "***boat." Well I can't really say that becuase I'm not really sure what a ***boat is according to that thread no one does.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
RD

RiverToysJas
01-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
Well I can't really say that becuase I'm not really sure what a ***boat is according to that thread no one does..
I do!
RTJas

future boater
01-17-2002, 08:38 PM
yeah it was a dissapointment. american pie was pretty cool but i have the opinion that ***boats do not have radar arches...

greg shoemaker
01-18-2002, 05:34 AM
Eliminator, Crrera, Shockwave, Ultra, Caliber 1, Advantage, Hallett,Magic , Aftershock, DCB, Warlock, Nordic, Conquest,Ultra of Montclair,WPM and all the mfgs I can't remember haven't built a boat under 21 feet in over 2 years. There is a breath of hope though Calif. Performance and Edge, have 2 19 footers on order which we plan to start the rigging in a couple of weeks. This time of the year not much is going on in the boating world so the issue does become quite small but the advertizing budget also becomes very small. We've flogged this horse long enough and I think it's time to move on and get a web site that serves your needs. Greg

Slick
01-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Didn't much think of it that way as I don't necessarily look at much under 21' unless it's a tunnel or flatbottom. I do like that Cole. Sharp lookin' boat.

RiverToysJas
01-18-2002, 08:01 AM
Here's a copy paste from the current Trader:
2001 ELIMINATOR BOATS daytona , 19' hull, 19' , 19' 0'' NEW, NEVER BEEN IN WATER Daytona Eliminator hull w/tandem trailer. jet, steering, rail kits, gas tank, seats. Custom paint. Must see!!! I can e-mail you pictures. carlspools@aol.com Cell 626-945-0453 Carl (626)914-6342
Andy's boat is a 2002 Ultra, 19' long.
I really think there aren't many new sub-20's because those are starter boats and you can get used ones so cheap. Once someone has owned one and likes to boat, the next step is always 21'+. Bigger family, and more friends wanting to go along with time forces that, if nothing else does. Also, if you actually live on a river and can use the house as a base of operation, a small boat is fine. But most of us Colorado river boaters load the boat up with everything for a full day and head to a remote location. 18'-19' boats just aren't good for this sort of boating.
Now, having said all of that (and owning an 18' myself)...18'-20' boats are popular among first time boaters and true Hot Boaters. There are a ton of them around and most are being upgraded and restored in some way. I think there is room in the market for a magazine devoted to these boaters. Once again, that's why I've built rivertoys and will continue to expand it.
Greg, I'll see you Sat. & thanks!
just my .02
RTJas.
[This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited January 18, 2002).]

ULTRA28
01-18-2002, 09:36 AM
We do offer boats under 21' and I believe that we were the last company to take a boat under 21' to Hot Boat for a test. I talked to Kevin the other day about this and he said he is going to try to get another section in the magazine just for the old school Hot Boats with more pictures and everything. By the way, at least Hot Boat does stuff on jets and older boats. Powerboat won't do anything on old boats at all. I recently recieved an invite to Powerboats annual 100MPH shoot out, when i called to say I was bringing a 19' Shadow jet boat, they told me not to bother, they don't test jets.

rivercrazy
01-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ULTRA28:
We do offer boats under 21' and I believe that we were the last company to take a boat under 21' to Hot Boat for a test. I talked to Kevin the other day about this and he said he is going to try to get another section in the magazine just for the old school Hot Boats with more pictures and everything. By the way, at least Hot Boat does stuff on jets and older boats. Powerboat won't do anything on old boats at all. I recently recieved an invite to Powerboats annual 100MPH shoot out, when i called to say I was bringing a 19' Shadow jet boat, they told me not to bother, they don't test jets.
I wonder who's 19' Shadow John is talking about here. Taking bets! The owner keeps saying it might run 80-85mph. Damn sandbager!!!

MoJetBoPar
01-18-2002, 10:28 AM
I keep my subscription for ***boat going to solely support this cool website where I only frequent the Jet Performance and V-Drive pages!!!!

572Daytona
01-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Technically a jet is a sterndrive so you should have just told Powerboat mag that it was a sterndrive http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif. They probably just didn't want a jet showing up all of the $200,000 + boats in the test, it wouldn't be good for business.
I'm glad that ***boat mag still has jets on occasion, I don't plan to drop my subscription anytime soon. I don't like the fact though that more often than not jets are portrayed as entry level boats although that is a valid market segment, I would like to see some of the more custom jets such as Racing Rascals featured on occasion as well that I would consider move up boats for current jet boat owners.
It is true that the sub 21' boat market is dwindling though mainly due to lake conditions. When I first moved on the lake here about 9 years ago I had my 18' Tahiti and bought a 17' Outboard Bowrider for a family type boat. Both boats were fine for all but the busiest holiday weekends, but recently due to the explosion of larger boats on the lake that is no longer the case. My kids almost got washed out of the front of the bowrider by a wake from a 40+ foot cruiser that couldn't figure out how to make his boat plane. After that incident the kids wouldn't even get in the boat for several months and we decided that if we wanted to continue to enjoy the lake on weekends we needed bigger boats, so the family boat is now a 26' cruiser and the jet is now a 21' daytona and I've am now contributing to the big boat problem on the lake.

RiverDave2
01-18-2002, 11:51 AM
I would like to see some of the more custom jets such as Racing Rascals featured on occasion as well that I would consider move up boats for current jet boat owners. [/B]
I dunno for sure, but I'm almost possitive that ***boat will do some sort of write up on that boat.. So it all comes back to what I said last week... If you want to see more "***boats" in ***boat y'all got's to go build some "***boats!" I'm sure if someone built a bitchin CP (Brand New) it would be featured.. It's just that not to many people are building "***boats" anymore, there building In Froggy's words "Nice Jet Boats." http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif So who's next? Someone start building anohter ***boat! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
RD

572Daytona
01-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Dave, it's kindof a catch 22. Before making the commitment to buy you would like to see what your choices are and see some reviews. When I was in the market for a 21' tunnel a couple of years ago I had a heck of a time finding any sort of information. When was the last time HB featured a 21' Tunnel Jet? 1996, 1997 maybe? The boat trader was one of the few sources I had for pictures and that was where I bought mine. Things are a little better now than they were when I was looking, at least there are websites and boards where you can find pictures and information on them.

Harlem
01-18-2002, 03:16 PM
I have nothing against 21+ boats I'm sure one day I'll move up to a larger boat. I just think it is sad that out of 130 pages they only have 1 small jet boat in there!
Harlem

DickDanger
01-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Seeing a magazine with boats that the normal middle class person could ACTUALLY afford would probably be asking too much.
-Dick Danger out

RiverDave2
01-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Would you like "Normal Middle Class" Girls to grace the pages of this Normal Middle Class magazine as well?
RD

DickDanger
01-18-2002, 05:14 PM
If by that you mean girls WITHOUT silicone, I am all about equal treatment. I will drool over them just the same. -DD out

shockwaveharry
01-18-2002, 05:48 PM
You guys better stop putting so much pressure on Hot Boat. It's a lot of work for them I don't wanna get a March/April issue next month!

DickDanger
01-18-2002, 06:27 PM
I am betting that by this summer, they will be testing yachts, the batboat, and maybe a few hydrofoils thrown in for good measure. Seriously though, I am all for the testing that they do, but it would be kinda cool if maybe they featured an owners vintage jet, or something from yesteryear such as that. I am sure that the chix aren't there just because the boats are big dollars..I see fems like that in Bayliners all the time!!! -DD out http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/dancin.gif
[This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited January 18, 2002).]

LOWRIVER2
01-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Mr. Greg Shoemaker,
You still own a CP?
Is the one you're setting up the open bow that was just popped? Just curious.
LowRiver

greg shoemaker
01-23-2002, 05:54 AM
LowRiver Yes I still own a 19 Perf . The boat was built back in the early 80's and weights about 400 lbs. 468 BBC with a small nos system. Iruns in the high 80's and serves my needs on the lower river quite well. Not sure of the overall package on the open bow but will let you know when the final decision is made. Greg

LOWRIVER2
01-23-2002, 10:46 AM
Right on Mr. Shoemaker,
I think it says something for the small jet boats when a guy who builds boats in the whole spectrum/size of what are deemed performance boats to personally own a CP as his own "hot boat". Of course, if you ever want to sell it, I'm sure it would sell quickly! J/K I've heard it is quick as would be expected being it's yours.
Sounds like a good "project article" on the new CP for HB(?)
LR

schiada96
01-23-2002, 02:30 PM
PG 14 hot boat or not? I don't think so. I have not looked too close but not one how to article.
I wonder if Mr flint has a web site to bitch about his girlie mags. That would be funny.
[This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited January 23, 2002).]

squirts
01-23-2002, 07:54 PM
Hey guys they still must care about us. Just got a call from Brent at Hot Boat they want to do a photo shoot of my 18' 1973 Glenco Jet boat so dont give up so soon send them some pictures of your ride you just might make it.

SPECTRABRENT
01-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Squirts,
Bret is a good guy, he did a write up last year for my Spectra Club & web site.
As for the FEB 2002 ***boat, its alot better than POwerboat, that magazine sucks.
Good luck with your photo shoot.
Brent

RiverToysJas
01-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Here's a copy of what I wrote under the Feb Issue thread in Hot Spots, fits better here though!
Let's see, A 6-page ad for Fountain greets you almost immediately. By page 12 they've already given more attention to massive, super high-end boats than they will boats like many of us have, in the whole book.
Pg 12, Observers's Seat. As usual the first place I actually start to read. Got to learn about how "luxurious" those big boats are. That's cool, since I'll never sell my kids and go buy one, I wouldn't have known otherwise.
Pg 32, American Pie. Now that's what I'm talking about! Although many will disagree with me I suppose, I'd rather that the whopping two photos they show actually had the boat as the center of focus. How bout we meet halfway and I say at least one photo should be that way?
Next boat, starting on pg 39, a 38' near $100,000 boat that starts a series of sumular offerings. Inner mixed with two, more or less "common folk" boats.
Pg80 starts coverage of "the Ultimate Gunfight" I haven't read this but I do like the shots of the boats totally aired out. That first Skater is awesome!
Pg96, TWO READER'S RIDES!!! Are we not sending in our photos guys? Or are we just forgetting to put the LOA or Manufacturer? I do notice that both reader's rides are 25'!
Pg108, A twin small block 28' Daytona. I like on pg 110 where it states that Whipplecharger systems are "approximately" $54.95 each. I guess they have someone put approximately before most numbers in the book these days in case of misprint. OR, that was the price give to Hot Boat, but not the general public. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif This article ends by bragging that 4 people went 121-mph in that 28' boat. Must be safe I guess.......
Bottom of pg114, an actual Hot Boat! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
And the Feb issues ends much like it started, with an ad for Formula, not to be confused with Fountain. Note, 0% 18 month financing. Let's see, 18 months to pay off 50 to 250 grand......yeah, that's a good deal! Have to jump on that, it's only through Feb 28!
The above impressions are my own. This somewhat tongue in cheek brouse through the Feb issue is not ment to start a riot or cause anyone to get upset - only my opinions. My own website has type-os in it (as this post probably does too!). I'm mainly just expressing that Hot Boat Magazine is becoming something I'm not too interested in anymore. I still like the new products showcases, some of the evaluations are still of interest - thanks to some die hard west coast builders supplying boats that actually fit the market I'm in! Special thanks this month to: COBRA and LIGHTNING! What happened to reader's rides though?
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

slotrunner
01-24-2002, 12:26 PM
HELL GOT MY NEW FEB ISSUE MADE IT TO THE END IN ABOUT 5 MIN'S WHAT A JOKE

69 Elim
01-24-2002, 12:55 PM
I read the mag in a couple of minutes and gave it too a friend cause I was already bored of it. If I remember right, one of their test boats barely did 50mph - pretty week for a "Hot Boat"!!!

RiverToysJas
01-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 69 Elim:
I read the mag in a couple of minutes and gave it too a friend cause I was already bored of it. If I remember right, one of their test boats barely did 50mph - pretty week for a "Hot Boat"!!!
I believe the builder of that boat was here a few days ago, in another thread. He said they won't do that set-up again due to poor results. I agree you but at least that builder is trying new things with a jet.
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif