PDA

View Full Version : New Battery???????

master13
02-21-2005, 09:26 AM
It is time for us to buy new batteries for our boat. I need some advice to witch one's everyone is having the best luck with. I don't have a huge stereo system and I have a 2003 350 mag, power hatch just a very normal set-up. I have been told by many people that two (2) yearÂ’s is about all you can get out of a boat battery so I know we need to replace our batteries.
What we need to know:
1) Brand names?
2) Where to get them? (In Southern Cal, we boat in Bullhead, AZ)
3) How much should we spend?
4) Do we need marine batteries?
5) What is the life expectancy of a boat battery?
Any and all information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Master13

HCS
02-21-2005, 10:25 AM
There has been many threads on here about batteries. Do a search there's some good threads. :mix:

HCS
02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Here some.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/search.php?searchid=254741

burtandnancy
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I would certainly recommend gel-cell, sealed batteries in our climate. Had one pair of Exides in a boat that got better during a 7 year period...

Flying Tiger
02-21-2005, 05:22 PM
I rotate the boat batteries to my RV every 2 years. Fresh batts in the boat.
Nothing sux more than battery probs with your float.
COSTCO has the best warranty & return policy/ and prices on Marine Batts..

paradigm shift
02-21-2005, 05:31 PM
No doupt the gels are the best. For the price I have been able to find gels I can replace my deep cycle lead acids every other year and still be money ahead. Best thing you can do to help battery life is service them and keep them on a battery tender charger when not is use. Not a trickle charger but a charger you can leave on 24-7 and not over charge.
I usually get 3 years and since I started using a tender I am going over 4 years now. Autozone has cheap batteries also.
I do not run them down to nothing on charge like some do.

Not So Fast
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
i've always used Checker Nautilus Gold Marine, both batteries for about $100 and if you keep them charged they last for about three years, but you have to keep them charged. To many of us tend to run our sound systems for 6 to 8 hrs and then wonder why the batteries run down when in reality the run to the Sandbar or Havasu Springs takes but maybe 15 to 20 min and we expect the alternator to bring the batteries up to full charge, aint happening. Buy a good automatic (shuts off when charged) charger because keeping them charged is the secret. My new boat has the Opitma Blue Tops and i'm dreading ever having to replace them, even at CostCo i believe they are about $168@ ouch. good luck and keep'em charged. NSF :2purples:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Best thing you can do to help battery life is service them and keep them on a battery tender charger when not is use. Not a trickle charger but a charger you can leave on 24-7 and not over charge.I do not run them down to nothing on charge like some do.
AMEN!!!! This man is 100% correct;);)

purrfecttremor
02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
im looking to by a stinger 2100 to run the sterio only.280.00 at car toys in havasu ouch!!!anyone ever here of stinger? :eek:

Not So Fast
02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
hells bells titties and beer, you just gotta have a blue top now dont ya!! NSF :2purples: :2purples: