PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a 1996 23' Eliminator Eagle

mikefd024
02-21-2005, 11:27 AM
My boat tends to fill with water, and I can't find where it is coming from. I have had 2 glass people there is no leak, the problem is the water is coming from the bottom of the boat somewhere. My ski locker fills which I have to drain by hand or with a sump pump. The bilge is in the back of the boat, and the water does not go into this area. All the water is underneath the interior, anyone have one of these boats with a problem like this, thanx for the help..

dtr352
02-21-2005, 11:36 AM
We have the same problem with our eliminator daytona. One sponson fills with water when we run. Can't figure out where it comes from.

syke-o
02-21-2005, 11:55 AM
there is a little hole that is in your ski locker that goes to the back of the boat where the bilge is.. stick your finger in the bottom/back of the ski locker and most times u will find something lodged in there that u can push through that will allow the water to make its way back.... at least this works on my boat, and i hope this helps..

WaTchTheGelCoat
02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Why not call or take your boat to Eliminator? They would probably be the best people to ask that question. Weather or not you bought the boat from them or a private party, I am sure they would be more than happy to help you out

greenkorn
02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Check all of the through hull fittings that would be under the water line, sometines the silicone that is between them and the hull gives out, not uncommon for a boat of your vintage. Also check the transom arae, exhaust tips, swimstep brackets, trim tabs, etc, the leaks are sometines hard to see. What I do is clean the whole transom area to get rid of any debri/ staining, go to a local lake like puddingston and let it sit for a while, and watch for any water streaks. Also, if you have a metal type of drain plug, put some thread sealer on the threads before installing it. Do not use the teflon tape, use the semi-liquid stuff. Good luck. CB

kidstuf
02-21-2005, 12:17 PM
mikefd024 & dtr352,
There are a few things that could be causing this to happen... Either way, it should be a quick fix... Give us a call and we'll get you guys taken care of :wink: (951) 681-1222... You can ask for me or Jonny.
Brandie Leach

Just Tool'n
02-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I have the same problem on my 28ft 91 Elim eagle. I get pissed every time. Last year I rebuilt the gimbal with new boots & seals. Dam boat still leaks, just can not figure it out, or where it is coming from. Especially since the ski locker is carpeted, & just gets water logged.
Maybe this this year I will find it, come hell or HIGH WATER!

Eliminator 4 Life
02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
I think I remeber it either coming from the railing or the cup holders I remember talk of this before :cool:

Mandelon
02-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Wait till it stops raining. Then take it outside and park it on a level parking spot and fill it up with the hose. If the water leaks in, it should leak out too. :wink:

sneauxcone
02-21-2005, 01:29 PM
WatchTheGelCoat - Dude, you rock. Love that Wooderson quote.
"That's why I like high school girls - I get older, they just stay the same."

mike37
02-21-2005, 01:32 PM
I had a water problem on my old boat
it ended up being the water pump hoes going from the pump to the block
it only leaked on the run not idling
and it pumped a lot of water had us going for a week looking for the leak

Outnumbered
02-21-2005, 02:04 PM
mikefd024 & dtr352,
There are a few things that could be causing this to happen... Either way, it should be a quick fix... Give us a call and we'll get you guys taken care of :wink: (951) 681-1222... You can ask for me or Jonny.
Brandie Leach
There ya go, I would take it back to Mira Loma. I'm sure they will take good care of you.
OL

WaTchTheGelCoat
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
WatchTheGelCoat - Dude, you rock. Love that Wooderson quote.
"That's why I like high school girls - I get older, they just stay the same."
:D

1stepcloser
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
I had this same problem when I first had my boat. (A '95 230 eagle) The ski locker would fill with water, but the engine bilge would stay nice and dry.
I took it back several times to the factory, was told there was no leaks, I would go to the lake, and the damn thing would fill up.
On the second or third return trip, I told them to drill a pass through drain hole to allow the water to travel from the ski locker to the bilge area so that it could be pumped, and they did (more on this later). This was a temporary fix, though.
I went back again cause I figured this is ridiculous.... they told me they put it in their pool for a couple of days and it did not leak, I must be slowing too fast and allowing the wake to come in the boat.
Long story short...... When the hatch ram wiring was installed they used three clamps on the run, and the one nearest the side of the boat went through the floor.... and hull. It was never seen during inspections likely because it was right on the inside of the chine and would rest on the bunk when trailered. I had this repaired, and...Voila!! no more leaking boat.
The design of this boat means if there is water getting under the floor on either side of the bilge, there is likely a hole somewhere in the hull. the reason the ski locker fills is when the boat is slowed, the water flows forward around the main stringers into the locker area which does not have a drain through the bulkheads.
If you have any thru hull fittings below the waterline but outside of the two main stringers, (ie; trim tabs) check those first, otherwise, next time you have the boat in the water, put a mask on and go for a swim under the boat looking closely for anything unusual.

Havasu Hangin'
02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
...and the one nearest the side of the boat went through the floor.... and hull. It was never seen during inspections likely because it was right on the inside of the chine and would rest on the bunk when trailered.
When you launched the boat, did the bunk stay screwed to the bottom of the boat?
:supp:

1stepcloser
02-21-2005, 03:45 PM
When you launched the boat, did the bunk stay screwed to the bottom of the boat?
Hah! No, but around the second or third trip out, one did float away.....
lag bolts work great!! :notam:

Havasu Hangin'
02-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Hah! No, but around the second or third trip out, one did float away.....
lag bolts work great!! :notam:
You better check your drive...
...they may have lag bolted that on, too.
:notam:

1stepcloser
02-21-2005, 04:05 PM
You better check your drive...
...they may have lag bolted that on, too.
:notam:
Theres a story there as well....
Apparantly when I built the boat, I rounded the top edge of the plywood for the transom, so that when I installed the inner backing plate for the drive, there was no support beneath the top two bolts.... and then when I tightened them the plate cracked.... and then I didnt bother to tell myself about it hoping I wouldnt notice.
Imagine how I felt when I did.....

Havasu Hangin'
02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Apparantly when I built the boat, I rounded the top edge of the plywood for the transom, so that when I installed the inner backing plate for the drive, there was no support beneath the top two bolts.... and then when I tightened them the plate cracked.... and then I didnt bother to tell myself about it hoping I wouldnt notice.
Imagine how I felt when I did.....
Well, you should know better than to do that. :notam:
I bet they don't have that problem at Fountain...
:idea:

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Or are you taking the whole trailer with you... :2purples:

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
BTW, I think I'd check the drive like HH says. Then check out the engine at idle or at a higher RPM with someone else driving. You could have the engine drain petcock open a little or a hose leaking somewhere.
:idea:

a catered life
02-21-2005, 05:23 PM
mikefd024 & dtr352,
Brandie Leach
if you are going to take it to eliminator make sure you check everything possible your self before you take it in.i have my boat there now and i love the service and the whole team there is great (chuy one of the service guys is really awesome)but they are one expensive shop and i would hate for you to spend a lot of money on something you could have done your self

Faster Daddy
02-21-2005, 05:38 PM
mikefd024 & dtr352,
Brandie Leach
I am very impressed, way to step up and help out your customers :cool: :D

phuggit
02-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I had the same problem with my Eliminator. I asked the guys at Eliminator if they could tell me why water was settling in the ski locker. I was told two things.
1. The bow (ski locker area) sits lower than the transom when floating in the water or on the trailer. This seemed to be true, because I would crank the trailer all the way up when I stored the boat and water would still remain inside the ski locker. I fixed the problem by inserting a expanding rubber drain plug inside the ski locker drain hole.
2. How was so much water getting into my bilge in the first place? I was told there might be unsealed drill holes under the rub rail at the rear of the boat. Whenever I was stopped and the rear integrated swim steps were in the water, water was leaking thru the holes into the engine compartment. I confirmend this one day by parking in the channel with the swim steps below the water. I could see four places inside the engine compartment where water was trickling inside. I removed the rubrails and filled all the holes (there were quite a few of them) with silicone. I also placed silicone inside the holes for the rub rail screws. I havn't had a problem with excess water since.
Hope this helps.

Mandelon
02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
I had this same problem when I first had my boat. (A '95 230 eagle) The ski locker would fill with water, but the engine bilge would stay nice and dry.
I took it back several times to the factory, was told there was no leaks, I would go to the lake, and the damn thing would fill up.
On the second or third return trip, I told them to drill a pass through drain hole to allow the water to travel from the ski locker to the bilge area so that it could be pumped, and they did (more on this later). This was a temporary fix, though.
I went back again cause I figured this is ridiculous.... they told me they put it in their pool for a couple of days and it did not leak, I must be slowing too fast and allowing the wake to come in the boat.
Long story short...... When the hatch ram wiring was installed they used three clamps on the run, and the one nearest the side of the boat went through the floor.... and hull. It was never seen during inspections likely because it was right on the inside of the chine and would rest on the bunk when trailered. I had this repaired, and...Voila!! no more leaking boat.
The design of this boat means if there is water getting under the floor on either side of the bilge, there is likely a hole somewhere in the hull. the reason the ski locker fills is when the boat is slowed, the water flows forward around the main stringers into the locker area which does not have a drain through the bulkheads.
If you have any thru hull fittings below the waterline but outside of the two main stringers, (ie; trim tabs) check those first, otherwise, next time you have the boat in the water, put a mask on and go for a swim under the boat looking closely for anything unusual.
Its about damn time someone on this board spelled "voila" right....
Man---->likes good spellers<----delon :D

mikefd024
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the input

VEGASBABY
02-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Its about damn time someone on this board spelled "voila" right....
Man---->likes good spellers<----delon :D Dude you crack me up! :D you post some funny shiznits!!

phuggit
02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Did you figure out where the water was coming from?