Pentagon coverage but Alex Zanardi lost both
his legs and is in really bad shape. He got
T-boned at somewhere near 200 mph. The race
had been renamed to the American Memorial. I
know its not boating related but one of the
posters here mentioned he was in Germany working for the CART guys. sorry

rstover1
09-15-2001, 06:46 PM
I seen that on the news that was terrible glad he is alive though..

burbanite
09-16-2001, 09:17 AM
standard, rstover1
Alex is a close friend, we worked together during his first stint here in the States. I saw him and his family last during the Elkhart Lake race weekend just before they moved back to Italy. He is one of the strongest willed people I have ever met so I know that he will deal with this better than most.
I have been in constant touch with our people in Germany and as of two hours ago Daniella, his wife, said that he is out of surgery, doesn't know where he is or that he has lost his legs but does recognize people.
At a time like this I was hoping that this event would be one of the bright spots of the week but instead has turned into another tragedy.
The rest of the group that worked with Alex in '96, '97 and '98 just called me from a Gasthof where they are reliving the good times with Alex, I am the only one missing - wish I was there.

Jungle Boy
09-16-2001, 11:32 AM
Burbanite, Very sorry to hear about your freind. I hope he has a speedy recovery. People involved with racing at this level are of very strong mind and will and this will speed his recovery. Best wishes to Alex and his family.