PDA

View Full Version : Help please, new boat

socalmark
02-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Help please. I just bought a Yamaha SX230HO. I know it is not a "hot boat" but the best I can do on my limited income. I really need to upgrade the stereo before I even put it in the water (Lower Colorado River - Hidden Shores). Budget is $5,000 max. It currently has a lower end JVC head unit with CD and two remotes (one at helm and one on back deck reachable from the water). I am told the remotes are proprietary - only work with the head unit. I do not have the model number of the head unit. It come with 4 speakers (JVC) in the cockpit. I wish to add two in the bow and two facing rearward on the back deck. Clearly will need an amp or two and at least dual batteries. Currently looking at Optimas. The installer I spoke to recommended MBQuart speakers and two Eclipse amplifiers and two subs (presumably MBQuart). I am not looking for extreme volume or earth shaking bass. I would like fairly loud but mostly clean sound. I would also like a CD changer (preferably 10 disc). I have no interest in satellite radio - we like to listen to what we want. The MBQuart speakers have gotten good reviews here but I have seen nothing regarding the Eclipse amplifiers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ROZ
02-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Help please. I just bought a Yamaha SX230HO. I know it is not a "hot boat" but the best I can do on my limited income. I really need to upgrade the stereo before I even put it in the water (Lower Colorado River - Hidden Shores). Budget is $5,000 max.
That's a pretty large buget... Do you want to replace your entire system?
It currently has a lower end JVC head unit with CD and two remotes (one at helm and one on back deck reachable from the water). I am told the remotes are proprietary - only work with the head unit. I do not have the model number of the head unit. It come with 4 speakers (JVC) in the cockpit.
If you have atleast 1preout, you can run this deck(thinking budget) ... Run a combo of amps where one amp has a preout as to carry the signal through from the deck to the other amp... This elimanates the need for a crossover..
I wish to add two in the bow and two facing rearward on the back deck. Clearly will need an amp or two and at least dual batteries. Currently looking at Optimas.
Sounds good.
The installer I spoke to recommended MBQuart speakers and two Eclipse amplifiers and two subs (presumably MBQuart). I am not looking for extreme volume or earth shaking bass. I would like fairly loud but mostly clean sound. I would also like a CD changer (preferably 10 disc). I have no interest in satellite radio - we like to listen to what we want. The MBQuart speakers have gotten good reviews here but I have seen nothing regarding the Eclipse amplifiers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
All sounds good, but I think you should run different amps. The Eclipse are nice, but have no balls for your application. Also, JVC has a marine changer that will likely work with your headunit...If you chose to go this route, of course...

socalmark
02-22-2005, 05:49 AM
Thank you Roz. Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I clearly have no knowledge in this area. Any suggestions on amps? Any suggestions on installers in the San Diego area? Thanks again.

riverbound
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
I agree with Roz. Don't use the Eclipse amps, they are great sounding amps but they have no balls. (I am actually running their premium amps in my boat, got them for free so I can't complain). I would recommend Calling Dave (Parker on the boards) and let him go over the boat with you. $5k can get you some really nice stuff. I know that they do a package for a boat builder that consists of . Mb quart speakers, Rockford Power series amps, subs, wiring,alpine head unit and installed that will definitely fit your budget. They do a ton of boats with this system and it is very loud and clear. Dave will definitely get you taken care of and save you some money at the same time. The number to his shop is (909) 481-8411.
good luck and congrats on the new boat.

ROZ
02-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Thank you Roz. Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I clearly have no knowledge in this area. Any suggestions on amps? Any suggestions on installers in the San Diego area? Thanks again.
Are you far from Balboa and Genesse? What part of the county are you in?

lucky
02-22-2005, 08:42 AM
for 5 grand you could buy a jet boat and would not have to worry about a stero :) :idea:

socalmark
02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks all for the input. I am in Rancho Bernardo. Will be taking delivery in about two weeks after the dealer is done with a couple of installs. Plan on taking the boat immediately for stereo upgrade and then on to the river where the boat will stay. Balboa and Genessee would be fine. I'm trying to pin down some specifics on the head unit to see if it can remain.