PDA

View Full Version : Woodward fatalities

johnnie jetboat
07-08-2001, 08:29 AM
Just a word to the wise.
While watching the news last night, I saw one of those things that us boaters hate to see.
A guy, his wife and his sister in law went out on Woodward(a small resevior near Manteca) for the first ride in his 'new' jet boat(a typical 18 footer w/454 he had bought the day before). Several witnesses said he was driving eraticly.
He found himself heading for a Bayliner and turned hard to port, but he forgot one important detail. He let off the throttle, causing the boat and his passengers heads to collide with the Bayliner. Both passengers were killed instantly. The guy even admited to knowing about the total lack of control without the throttle.
Please guys, Pay attention to where you are, where ALL the other boats are and never get out of the throttle during a panic situation.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
I don't enjoy seeing these reports on the news and I'm sure none of you would either!

RiverDave
07-10-2001, 12:20 PM
You should post that in the Jet vs SternDrive argument going on. It seems that the lack of control when off the throttle really wasn't that big of a deal and somehow JetBoats now have breaks by slaming them in reverse.
RiverDave

mister460
07-10-2001, 02:35 PM
I've had to use my reverse as a brake once. My fault but it saved me from banging up another boat. Was just above idle and was lokking behind me(bad idea) as some girl was trying to get in a wetsuit and almost t-boned a Bayliner. I simply threw it and reverse and gave her some juice and I just stopped dead. Wasn't going more than a few mph but it still made me appreciate the ability to stop instantly.

turbo
07-10-2001, 03:36 PM
my 19 foot sleekcraft has a rudder that came with the place diverter, and it works, not like the throttle, but half is better than not at all.

rivercrazy
07-10-2001, 03:40 PM
My AT-309 has the large rudder and it actually works OK until your speed is below 57-mph. Of course it wouldn't turn like a V-Drive or Stern Drive without power but it does work somewhat.

rivercrazy
07-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Oops thats 5-7 mph

Rivertoys_com
07-10-2001, 04:07 PM
I know a guy that nailed the gas & slammed his jetboat into reverse at about 40mph just for fun, because he heard it was "cool". He no longer thinks it's cool and doesn't advise anyone to try it. But an emergency is different, you gotta do what you gotta do. I think it's a last ditch thing and shouldn't be practiced.

spectras only
07-10-2001, 04:27 PM
If you have a bowrider I would be careful with full reverse http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif,you may find yourself in a bathtub.Closed deck boats with freeboard are pretty safe to stop up to 35MPH with reverse,you may only get some wash coming over the reverse windshields.Better than hit someone's boat!

GOT WATER ??
07-10-2001, 04:41 PM
One Moron, Is worth a thousand new laws!
I am really sorry to say this but maybe we need to have a test like the DMV so less people are killed.
Don't get me wrong I am the last one that would really want this, but what else do we do.
Hell if I have to take my boat to the lake and prove that I can operate it I will be the first to go.
There are alot of people that have the money to buy a boat, but when they put it in the water they are a hazard to everyone.
Sorry about the rant.
I will step down off the box.
Kelly
[This message has been edited by GOT WATER ?? (edited July 10, 2001).]

Cas42
07-10-2001, 05:03 PM
hey Kelly
Amen!
After watching the idiots over Memorial Day weekend, I posted something similar to what you just said. There really needs to be some sort of test before a boat is purchased. They should also include some instruction on the towing laws.

johnnie jetboat
07-11-2001, 02:41 AM
I've read that the dept. of boating and waterways is considering enacting a licensing process for boaters.
They are going administer a test similar to your drivers test. they will require all boaters under a certain age(I believe it was 40)to test, starting in the next year or two.
It was big news in the valley for a couple of weeks(last summer), but I haven't heard anything further...
The only problem is that jetskis don't have to abide by any rules(it would seem, as there is never any enforcment for lice), so it won't help in that area.

lakecrazy
07-11-2001, 05:31 AM
I have also noticed that some jetski's disregard boating saftey. How many times have they come within 50' of my boat just to jump my wake, Causing a wake in the no wake zone, and turning in front of me without even looking!

rivercrazy
07-11-2001, 07:24 AM
This situation is really unfortunate. I hate when the gov't steps in and passes new laws to restrict our activities or passes new laws to collect new TAX revenues.
I agree there are way too many people on the water who don't know what they are doing. Especially PWC's. I've had PWC's jumping my wake as I pull a wakeboarder! In my opinion, one of the conditions for buying a PWC is to at least watch a 2-3 hour video or take a test on boating safety. I doubt it would be that effective though.

racingrascal
07-11-2001, 08:49 AM
Rivercrazy, It would be great for them to watch a video of when PWC meets 80 mph jet boat! But once they got to the lake and their jackass friend with no sence gets on and says "hey how do stop" you don't "O'ok" and off and haulin a*s all day long! Not looking or caring where he/she is going. I just sold to seedoo's and I never let very many of my friends ride them (selfish) and if I did and they rode stupid they didn't ride any more.My girlfriend started riding and I told the rules of the water. She did great until she forgot that she was still new. She tried to spray some people on a dock (after watching me do it) and it was close enough for her think twice (a dock at 30 mph on a PWC is not something anybody want's to do)I have been driving boats my hole life and still there have been times when I have had to think twice about what I just did, new boaters just don't know until it is to late! Just my .02!
Andy

Riley
07-11-2001, 09:10 AM
I hope we never come to the point where the govt. has to intervene on boating and start testing and licsening drivers. The most dreaded words in my book are "I'm with the government and I'm here to help". If you ever hear those words run, don't walk, far away.
Boating safety should be learned from other safe boaters. I learned from my father when I was young. The most important thing we can do is lead by example. As racingrascal found out it takes one bad example to wipe away all your preaching on boater safety.
Alot of people really don't know any better, and if nobody tells them or shows them they never will. Even smart and good willed people can get lost in a moment and make a bad decision. Nobody is immune.
Riley

spectras only
07-11-2001, 09:11 AM
Johnnie ,the PWC crowd has to abide the same rule as other boats by law,maybe they just ignore it http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.Any vessel with over 9.9 HP have to be registered ,thus making them the same as other vessels[boats]We been talking about this topic on this forum previously.It's even became law,the operator has to be 16 yrs of age,or accompanied by an adult!Here in canada you'll need a licence to operate a boat in the matter of 1-2 years.

lakecrazy
07-11-2001, 09:21 AM
I've seen many 11,12,13 year olds unsupervised, piloting PWC's. It seems strange to me how easy it is for children to be driving a watercraft capable of 40mph+ speeds with no idea what boating laws are or in most cases how to properly handle that watercraft. Don't they have to wait to reach 16 yrs to be able to drive a car unsupervised? I just don't understand this anymore! Why must the experienced boater be put in danger?

Riley
07-11-2001, 09:36 AM
I don't know about elsewhere, but where I boat the age is 14. I would agree that 14 is a little old to pilot a craft that goes upward of 60 mph. I rode a stand-up jet ski when I was 14, but I think that thing went about 30 mph.
I think most 14 year old kids get such a rush from riding a fast sea-doo and don't have the maturity to make good decisions.
I had one teenage kid flip me off on my last trip because I honked my horn at her. I had to slow down to keep from hitting her, and I justed wanted her to know I was there so next time she would be more aware.
I just don't know about kids these days.....
Riley

johnnie jetboat
07-11-2001, 09:58 AM
Here in California(the peoples republic of) the licensing issue is only a matter of time. The state of Ca. wants to help... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif
As far as the 16 year old operator law recently enacted here, great. Now I know that that the little bast--d that almost hit my eight year old son tubing behind my boat was at least 16!

Cas42
07-11-2001, 09:58 AM
kids? what about the parents? shouldn't they know better? Any kid would love to get out and ride a PWC or any other type of motorized vehicle. The parents are the ones that need to set the limitations.
As far as licensing, maybe it would be a better idea to have anyone that's wanting to buy a boat go through a CG approved safety class. After completing the course you get a credit card sized certificate that you must keep in the boat.
When you go to pay for your launch, you need to show your card or not get on the lake.

lakecrazy
07-11-2001, 10:54 AM
Riley, The way she saw it you were in HER way! Parents (not all) put the responsibility for their kids on others. Originally posted by Riley:
I don't know about elsewhere, but where I boat the age is 14. I would agree that 14 is a little old to pilot a craft that goes upward of 60 mph. I rode a stand-up jet ski when I was 14, but I think that thing went about 30 mph.
I think most 14 year old kids get such a rush from riding a fast sea-doo and don't have the maturity to make good decisions.
I had one teenage kid flip me off on my last trip because I honked my horn at her. I had to slow down to keep from hitting her, and I justed wanted her to know I was there so next time she would be more aware.
I just don't know about kids these days.....
Riley

kingb36
07-11-2001, 11:45 PM
My 12 year old can operate my 60mph+ boat better than 2/3 of the people on my lake any given weekend. Kind of neat when I race someone and beat em, then let the kid sneak up on em and beat em again! I say start em early and teach em right, that way they dont pick up any bad habits that they have to unlearn later. Does this make me a bad parent? I don't think so.
BTW I started with a 56 Dunphy w/30horse 'rude at 8 years old. In 40 years of boating no accidents or injuries, and I hope my kid will be as lucky (or talented)

kingb36
07-12-2001, 12:04 AM
just to clarify, would I let him operate the boat alone? HELL NO! I think 3 years in go karts is good training for any kid who shows an interest in going fast in anything! Worked for me. (or him)