PDA

View Full Version : Savage Marine Mufflers

UnionJack
02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
I stopped at Savage on Saturday, and Steve said that he had designed insert for existing headers. The nice part is they don't clamp-on, they just mount inside and so they don't look lame. If you have a boat without a swim step, these might be better for you. I think they are also cheaper then the other's.
Savage Marine 928.680.6202

Bre
02-21-2005, 10:54 PM
On your motor...is it enough for you to pass?? Ours come out of our hatch.....so I am thinking we just need to get some new headers and cut a couple holes in the bottom of the boat ( under the water line) . Don't wanna have to do that.... but we need to pass :boxingguy

purrfecttremor
02-22-2005, 04:00 AM
i talked to kelly at savage [steves better half] and she told me they measure your tips,have baffles made and installed for 350.00.

superdave013
02-22-2005, 06:29 AM
sounds good, anyone have any real test data. You know, the before and after db and before and after power / RPM loss (or not)
The flanges for my trubo exhaust should be here today so I need to figure out what I'm doing for mufflers.

Tom Brown
02-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Dave, you shouldn't need much for a turbo engine. :confused:

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Yes they will pass on my motor, and I will not need anything that looks like crap, and the price is nice

Essex502
02-22-2005, 07:17 AM
As the Hot Boat articles in this month's issue state pretty clearly...there is more than just reducing the noise. You want ot make sure you are not inducing alot more back pressure but putting the baffles into the tips. RPM and speed loss need to be assessed. Also, noise testing should be done is a precise manner to asssure you that you boat with the baffles will pass BOTH the California test procedure (J2005) and the Arizona procedure - 86 dB(A) @ 50'. However, even if you pass BOTH tests, you may not pass the Lake Havasu Marina's test so be cautious when assessing these or any other inserts. Before you spend the money get more data. If Steve is custom making these for you there might not be any kind of return policy to get you money back in case they don't work. While Steve may be a good mechanic I don't think he has the expertise that the other manufaturers of mufflers and silencers have. Nor the equipment. Tread carefully.

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Well first (F) the marina, I would rather not go on the lake then give them my money, and steve has been working the the back pressure issue. I asked him about the marina and I am pretty sure he took a boat there and tested it. His exhaust is like the Gatlin inside, so it can't be that bad.

OutCole'd
02-22-2005, 07:26 AM
I know Kelly Lurks here, how about some pics???

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 07:29 AM
It looks like the Gatlin (inside), I will have mine before spring break, I would rather give my money to small business then to big business.

Essex502
02-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Just remember...you can be cited by California AND Arizona LEO's on the lake so you should get yourself tested to be sure.

OutCole'd
02-22-2005, 07:37 AM
It looks like the Gatlin (inside), I will have mine before spring break, I would rather give my money to small business then to big business.
I'm with you. I have some serious clearance issues as well so these may be a nice set up.

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Yes.... that is very true, since last year I received an improper wake ticket :sqeyes:

superdave013
02-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Dave, you shouldn't need much for a turbo engine. :confused:
I prolly don't need anything. The last turbo engine was really quite at idle. But they want to SEE mufflers so I want to be sure I make the best choice.
I like the sound of the gatlen set up. And a slip in or something I could just weld right to the flange would be cool. I'm still kicking around the carbon fiber mufflers that I checked into awhile ago.

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 07:48 AM
I think that I will do the Twin Turdo thing next

Bre
02-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Steve already talked to Andy about them. We are gonna have to stop by next time we are there.
This muffler shit is stupid. I wonder how many more accidents we are gonna have out on the lake now since people can't hear you coming by. Esp. going through the gorge... people just don't look before they get over.... loud pipes save lives :) :cool:

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Steve already talked to Andy about them. We are gonna have to stop by next time we are there.
This muffler shit is stupid. I wonder how many more accidents we are gonna have out on the lake now since people can't hear you coming by. Esp. going through the gorge... people just don't look before they get over.... loud pipes save lives :) :cool:
I love it

CJ
02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
If only I knew my Savage dollar would go only into Kelly's pocket. Steve is another character that does not deserve my business.

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
wow... Well we all have people that make us feel that way

RiverDave
02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
If only I knew my Savage dollar would go only into Kelly's pocket. Steve is another character that does not deserve my business.
HUH?
RD

burtandnancy
02-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Superdave, yes, I'm sure your turbos are plenty quiet at idle, and some LE may want to see mufflers if they don't know the difference. I have the Gatlin type and they are really good, but must be kept wet which you can't do. This spring and summer is really going to be an eye opener (or ear) at our lakes. Have you seen what Billy Dunsmore is putting on his ski-race boats? They are like mufflers used on modified cars, but I have no idea how they effect performance. They may have originated in Australia, not sure...

572Daytona
02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
HPI makes insert type silencers too but according to their website they are only for motors up to 425hp, I would expect them to be more restrictive than the clamp-on types that still have the full 4" opening for the exhaust to flow thru:
http://www.hpisilencers.com/Pages/products.htm

superdave013
02-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Superdave, yes, I'm sure your turbos are plenty quiet at idle, and some LE may want to see mufflers if they don't know the difference. I have the Gatlin type and they are really good, but must be kept wet which you can't do. This spring and summer is really going to be an eye opener (or ear) at our lakes. Have you seen what Billy Dunsmore is putting on his ski-race boats? They are like mufflers used on modified cars, but I have no idea how they effect performance. They may have originated in Australia, not sure...
No I have not seen them. I should go take a look I guess. I'm just about ready to go to Burns and buy some muffs. And yes, they are for modified and sprints.

CJ
02-23-2005, 04:33 AM
HUH?
RD
Steve may be a good mechanic, but he SUCKS in customer service. And even Kelly says it's tough to head him off before he gets to a customer. I had them do a guage install in my Commander, it never worked, got fried due to a poor installation and then I had to buy a new guage. He told me that my boat was too small and I should take it somewhere else. This is after they took the job, screwed it up.
There is more to the story but I choose to give my dollar to those who deserve it, not because they can fix my boat, but because they can fix it and make me feel like coming back the next time.
He'll never touch my Eliminator, which may be inside his size/performance guidelines that he has made for himself.

superdave013
02-23-2005, 05:05 AM
CJ, I wish I would have seen that you are hosting again. I just moved away from JNJ. Life is much better for me now. lol But I would have given you the biz for sure if I had known.
I'm glad I work on my own stuff. I'd be bummed if I took my schiada to someone and they said it was not big enough for them to work on. lol

CJ
02-23-2005, 07:48 PM
CJ, I wish I would have seen that you are hosting again. I just moved away from JNJ. Life is much better for me now. lol But I would have given you the biz for sure if I had known.
I'm glad I work on my own stuff. I'd be bummed if I took my schiada to someone and they said it was not big enough for them to work on. lol
Thanks Superdave. I'm just happy that your happy with your host. Seems JNJ went to shit when I sold. Almost wish I never had . . . for my clients benefit.