PDA

View Full Version : A concrete boat? Don't leave an empty pool next to a rising water table...

Mandelon
02-22-2005, 10:50 AM
I got a call from a desperate homeowner last week. Don't keep your pool empty for long.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24RB_s_Pics_357.jpg
It literally floated up out of the ground, taking the flatwork with it.......he lives next to a drainage culvert. The culvert overflowed and the water table in his back yard came up before he was done working on the pool. :220v:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24RB_s_Pics_362.jpg

JetBoatRich
02-22-2005, 10:51 AM
That will a fun repair :jawdrop: Had a friend's spa do that :hammer2: he will never leave it empty again :hammer2:

racecar.hotshoe
02-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Check Please!

hoolign
02-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Bouyancy can be a bitch :jawdrop:

Jbb
02-22-2005, 10:59 AM
The real question has to be...how will it handle afternoon chop on Saturday....and what drive works best?...jet stern drive,or outboard...

Boat Loan Guy
02-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Can we come over and skate it?

HCS
02-22-2005, 11:02 AM
The real question has to be...how will it handle afternoon chop on Saturday....and what drive works best?...jet stern drive,or outboard...
Kinda reminds me of a Glastron or a Bayliner. Better use an IO.

Phat Matt
02-22-2005, 11:03 AM
mandelon...what's your excuse for Saturday night?

UnionJack
02-22-2005, 11:19 AM
wow, that's a great picture

Tom Brown
02-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Kinda reminds me of a Glastron or a Bayliner.
Hey! Just a minute there....

AZKC
02-22-2005, 11:24 AM
:supp: :jawdrop: :supp: Add that to the list :D

Kachina26
02-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I take it homeowner's ins ain't gonna take care of that due to "rising waters"?

RiverToysJas
02-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Don't keep your pool empty for long.....
I thought that was Pool Ownership 101!!! Well as with anything, there's an easy way to learn, and a hard way. ;)
Too bad, I wonder if insurance will cover that.
RTJas :D

PHX ATC
02-22-2005, 12:44 PM
The weeds in his yard will enjoy the newfound company! :D
F it, fill it with water and see where it lands, pour new concrete around it and you've instantly added $10,000 worth of new landscaping to your backyard. No problem. ;)

ROZ
02-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Impressive pictures ...
Same thing happend a Monday afternoon 6 houses up from me.... The family was deciding on whether or not to fill in the pool with dirt or to replaster.. I guess the decision has been made for them :hammer2:
I don't know if the insurance will cover it or not....*** Sone of the guys here in the office use to be an agent. He said he hopes they have flood insurance ...
With a creek rising to my back fence these past few days, I sure a shit ain't letting any water out of my pool :jawdrop:

ROZ
02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
The weeds in his yard will enjoy the newfound company! :D
F it, fill it with water and see where it lands, pour new concrete around it and you've instantly added $10,000 worth of new landscaping to your backyard. No problem. ;)
Plumbing usually breaks in this situation.... I guess he could put some scuba gear on to go down to see if the drain plumbing is still intact :D

CJ
02-22-2005, 01:01 PM
I would have never thought that could happen. That is amazing!

Schiada76
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I did that myself once with a pool that hadn't even been plastered yet.
It was an indoor pool and we hadn't built the clubhouse around it yet.
We dug around it with a backhoe, hooked a hose up to hydrant, sluiced under the pool with the hose while rocking it with the back hoe. Got it back in the ground, on grade, within an 1/8" of level. :D

Mandelon
02-22-2005, 08:05 PM
I did that myself once with a pool that hadn't even been plastered yet.
It was an indoor pool and we hadn't built the clubhouse around it yet.
We dug around it with a backhoe, hooked a hose up to hydrant, sluiced under the pool with the hose while rocking it with the back hoe. Got it back in the ground, on grade, within an 1/8" of level. :D
That is amazing.

mmered8299
02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Hydro Static Pressure Relief Valve.

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Hydro Static Pressure Relief Valve.
I think they have all been equipped with that valve for quite a long time. I've had my pool for about 8 years and it's never been empty. I wonder if they thought they would save on maintenance... :confused:

sorry dog
02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
With wet wells we usually added a flotation collar of concrete. Those things are usually 15 feet below water table.

Lightning
02-22-2005, 09:00 PM
You ever see that insurance commercial where the guy calls in and say "you are never going to believe this" ?? That is crazy, curious to see what insurance would say on that. Rising water / natural disaster. I'm thinking that it won't be covered. Then again, if it was caused by failure of the city's drainage.... who knows.
Anyone notice how bummed the dog looks in the photo. He's just standing there with this look on his face .."what the @#$! happened to my yard?"

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Anyone notice how bummed the dog looks in the photo. He's just standing there with this look on his face .."what the @#$! happened to my yard?"
I was thinking that the dog was looking at the pool like... uhhhh I didn't do it... honest. :idea:

Ken F
02-22-2005, 09:17 PM
A Friend who is a doctor did the same thing a few years ago when he decided he'd paint his pool himself and save some money. He drained it, and three weeks later there it sat with no water. He got all kinds of estimates, but everyone told him it would have to be replaced-bids ranged from 28-40,000.
I let him stew for about a week & told him I'd put it back in the ground for half, or he didn't owe me anything, so he jumped on it.
I did it just about the same way as above, but with two irrigation pumps. one to wash sand out from under the pool, the other on the other side to suck out sand and water. It settled right back into place, and then I used the same method to wash new sand under it, poured a little new concrete around the pool, and three days later said that will be $14000 please.
He bitched a lot, but paid up.
Ken F