PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock vs. Holley

Taylorman
08-07-2001, 04:31 PM
I would like some input on which carb is considered to be better, Edelbrock or Holley.

HAVNAFIT
08-07-2001, 05:57 PM
Predator, use it on a 468 bbc. has no jets to change,no leaking power valves, no internal gaskets to swell other than the acc. pump diaphram. variable venturi flows to 930 cfm. no bog or hesitation. bolt it on, set idle and idle rich screw. and never look back, third season on it. best choice I had made on carbs..looks cool with twisties and a K&N velosity stack. of course I live in Nebraska, just my thoughts.

08-07-2001, 07:21 PM
I vote for Holley, more tuneable, more parts available, more power at WOT, and more airflow than any other carb.

77charger
08-07-2001, 08:21 PM
I use to like the q jets(a friend could really make them work good) as they are similar to the edelbrcks.I now run a holley as it is easier and simpler to work on.Jet changes are easy float level adjust easier too.As for the power valves on the holley i have had no problems.

rstover1
08-07-2001, 09:34 PM
I had an eldebrock on my truck worked well util I got some some bad gas never was the same after that floats were always stickin. Got holleys I just feel they are an all around better design.

Cas42
08-07-2001, 09:51 PM
if you want some power with a lot of fuel consumption, go with Holley.
If you want some power with less fuel consumption, go with Edelbrock.
What it boils down to is what you're going to feel more comfortable with. More times than not, you can buy a Holley, bolt it up and your motor will run pretty good. More times than not, an Edelbrock will need some tinkering. Edelbrocks/Q-jets/Carters get bad raps because people don't understand them nor do they know how to work on them.

Kleckner
08-08-2001, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Cas42:
...buy a Holley, bolt it up and your motor will run pretty good. More times than not, an Edelbrock will need some tinkering.
I'm not flaming you, but that is the exact opposite of my experience with carburetors. I used to run Holleys, until I got sick of the power valve BS, and their poor quality. I currently have two Edelbrocks, one on an old musclecar, one on a boat. I just bolted them up, and away I went. Most people I know who run Edelbrocks love them. The Holleys I have owned in the past always needed some messing with. After you get it right, they usually take a crap two years later. If you really want a Holley, buy a Demon or a BG.

custom-cruiser
08-08-2001, 05:29 AM
I'm voting Holley, :d I had an Edelbrock and just coudn't get it to run right, always to rich no matter what rod and jet combo I tried(3100ft). If you put in a power valve saver and quick change jet system in a Holley it is a very reliable and tunable carb. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

Cas42
08-08-2001, 06:09 AM
Not flaming me Kleck, I've run Q-jets/ Edelbrocks/Carters for years. I went through the GM training on Q-jets back in the late 70's and won't have a Holley, although I've tried. I've run into the same probs with Holleys as you have.
The reason I said that about a shelf bought Edelbrock is because the ones I've seen off the shelf are set up on the lean side. Maybe it's a CA thing due to the tighter EPA standards?

beached1
08-08-2001, 06:33 AM
Barry Grant "Demon". It's like a holley without all the headaches. It comes with a video to help in troubleshooting any problems you might experience. Which is great for a guy like me that doesn't know much about carbs.

Dimarco Kid
08-08-2001, 06:51 AM
I'm a holley man, you'll have more power after some tinkering (you'll have to do it with ALL carbs) than an Edelbrock. Depending on what your planning to do with it, a Edelbrock is a nice card for fuel economy and performance, if you got a BIG motor don't even bother with a Edelbrock. Even Edelbrock knows this or they wouldn't build intakes with Holley's dominator pattern! Only you know what your planning to do with it, my opinion is Holley, but I'm also out for max horsepower and performance, could be just the opposite of what your looking to do.
Good luck,
Dimarco Kid

VanDeano
08-09-2001, 11:37 AM
I never used a Edelbrock so I cant say anything good or bad, but ome thing I find interesting is that HAVNAFIT mention no jets to change. Does that mean you cant change the jets or does it mean you dont need to?
Because I have a Holley 750 for my 460 and I had to rejet from the stock set up which I believe was set a 70/72 jet size to a whopping 84/90 I guess what Im trying to say is how can a Edelbrock be set to where you would not have to make any adjustment and just bolt it on. 'll have to admit it took at lot of tweeking to get my Holley right, but what a difference it tweek I did made. Just buy the HOLLEY HANDBOOK and it comes in handy,explains all the basic. Book is by MIKE URICH its a little red book.

HAVNAFIT
08-09-2001, 12:02 PM
VanDeano..I was talking Predator carburetors.if needed you can change the main meteing cam for 10, 20, or 30% richer at 3000 rpm and up. takes 5 min. while still on intake. I have used and rebuilt all types of carbs. I believe this carb is the way to go for many applications. You can put two of them on a tunnel ram and they will only use as much fuel and air needed. (variable venturi). one of you guys need to try one so I can have some back up here...

spectras only
08-09-2001, 06:59 PM
Havnafit,I know a guy with a Little Red Truck having two polished Predators on a tunnel ram ,looks trick.Predator came out 20 years ago,yet they never captured the market.Holleys are the simplest carburators period, hence their popularity.You can get metering blocks from Summit Racing ,with these blocks you can tune your carb infinately to any elevation.By the way my 1972 boat has the original 800 double pumper,and my 1976 boat has the original 780 vacum sec model.Never needed a new power valve.

Racing Ray
08-09-2001, 07:32 PM
Carbs are like boat builders. Whatever you have seems to be the best. I have raced with Holley's, Carter AFB's/Webers/Edlebrocks, Quadrajets and even the predessor to the AFB the WCFB. Bottomline they all work when tuned properly. Holley's have a much greater selection and more finite tuning capabilities. This is why at the race tracks when it comes to carbs you will see predominatly Holley. Class racing where required you will see quite a few Quadrajets on Chevy's. The key to the Carter/Weber/Edlebrock is simplicity. One thing I have always kept an AFB on the shelf for passing smog tests. Many of my old Hot Rods would fail no matter what tricks we used on a Holley and yet I could bolt on an AFB and breeze through. I havent seen a Predator at the track in 20 years.