PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Mud Slides ?

fat rat
02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
What happens in most cases when a house gets washed away (besides the obvious)..............do people rebuild or is the property condemed due to poor soil conditions? Seems like an annual occurance in some area's. We been hearing about some unfortinate people out there. I couldn't imagine sleeping at night, without thinking of what might/could happen. Just curious.

mirvin
02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately people just rebuild...usually :notam: I think most areas having problems right now have had problems in the past.
Kind of like living in a flood basin.....uh...it's gonna flood :cool:
mirvin :smile:

ROZ
02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
What happens in most cases when a house gets washed away (besides the obvious)..............do people rebuild or is the property condemed due to poor soil conditions? Seems like an annual occurance in some area's. We been hearing about some unfortinate people out there. I couldn't imagine sleeping at night, without thinking of what might/could happen. Just curious.
I often think the same of people who live in torado/hurricane alley or live where it snows...

HCS
02-22-2005, 02:35 PM
You'd think they do the obvious and condem the land and not build there again.

fat rat
02-22-2005, 03:06 PM
I often think the same of people who live in torado/hurricane alley or live where it snows...
Good point.........we get the occasional tornado/huricane warning, but sufficiant notice most of the time........"if"......your watching/listening to the new's. But seeing your nieghbor's house get washed off it's foundatation or the boulder that comes crashing thorough your bathroom is another thing. I don't think doupler is picking those things up.........

ROZ
02-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I guess you guys don't have the Doppler 7000 series 4 mark II anniversary model ;) :D
I hear ya FR.... I can't believe that some of these people were surprised it happened....

burtandnancy
02-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Well, the truth is: if your land washed away, there is nowhere to rebuild! In the case where they get burned out by our frequent fires, they seem to like to rebuild. Right now we've got the situation where one home slides into the one below and both are lost. We've had the worst rains in decades and no one knew what would happen in these highly sloped areas. The insurance problems are multifacited, most people don't have flood insurance and a landslide falls into a unknown catigory. Seems that problems caused by an act of god (like things that fall from the sky) may be insured but homes that slide off there foundations are lost in the fine print.
So far we've had three times more rain than Seattle. My feet are starting to web over. Big concern is, how much will this help Mead and Powell if at all...

Ziggy
02-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Big concern is, how much will this help Mead and Powell if at all...
They expect Powell to raise at least 50' by June/July...and I read that Mead is rising as well, 8' last week from what I recall.
Locally, the reservoirs are beginning to reach high levels and some are at or near the stage of overflow. All this rain is helping but it sure is hard to handle so much in such short bursts as we have this year.
Snowpack in the Western Rockies is somewhere around 115% of normal...which is what we need.

Jordy
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
The people in the cheap seats with the obstructed views now end up in the front row for the scenery and hope they get the land shored up before their neighbors behind them end up in the front row. :D

ROZ
02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
The people in the cheap seats with the obstructed views now end up in the front row for the scenery and hope they get the land shored up before their neighbors behind them end up in the front row. :D
Maybe there's beachfront property in Blythe afterall :supp: :D

Jordy
02-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Maybe there's beachfront property in Quartzite afterall :supp: :D
Actually, I'd like to see it stop in Glamis. That way I can dune right down to the ocean and then jump in the boat. :D

Ivan Dan
02-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I saw on the news last night that we've gotten over 32 inches of rain in LA since Decemeber and our normal is under 10 inches. WTF??? Enough is enough!

fat rat
02-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I guess you guys don't have the Doppler 7000 series 4 mark II anniversary model ;) :D
We do..........but it used for training purpose only..........Suprised you haven't heard about the new DP 10000. :D