PDA

View Full Version : Open Bow Question of Mach26 or Daytona25

mbrown2
08-19-2002, 11:43 AM
Does anyone on the board know if DCB or Eliminator will do an open bow (cuddy) conversion on used closed bow version? I am looking at newer used Mach26's and Daytona's; don't want to spend the money on new one. Love the look of the closed deck versions, but the wife wants the open bow option. In the past, I heard of other places that would do it, but if I could found the right Mach 26, I would rather have DCB do it, since their quality is top shelf.

Screaming Pete
08-19-2002, 11:53 AM
mbrown2, I'v seen used boats at DCB getting rigging changed open bowed and even other than dcb 's being rigged talk to Carlos thier upolstery wizerd and i'm sure he will doit for you :)

gmnhra
08-19-2002, 12:13 PM
i had the same question before i found an open bow 25' daytona....
most so cal upholstry guys i talked had no problems with converting to open bow...going to a "walk-thru" creates some dash rigging issues but just a bow cutout is a piece of cake for guys like designer marine, stratten, etc....
we love our bowrider 25!!!!
gary

TOBTEK
08-19-2002, 02:41 PM
I have a new Mach22 on order right now. Its really not a big deal to make it a open-bow and pretty inexpensive. Dave told me to take delivery on the new boat,and if my wife-to-be has to have it a bow-rider he will cut it up! NOT sure if you can craw tru under the dash though..hmmmm

mbrown2
08-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Thx to all for the info. From the advice it appears to be do-able. I, like Tobtek was thinking about a used or new Mach22. I currently have a Eliminator 230 Eagle, and it is OK, but in the boat-wake choppy water at Parker it does hit pretty hard at times. I have never ridden the Mach22, but would like to so I can compare the rough water capabilities. If the Mach22 is still questionable in the Chop, I might have to bite the bullet and go Mach26. The open-bow would allow me to suffice my better-half's request of an open bow for the additional seating. Compromises keep the household happy.

mbrown2
08-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Tobtek,
I have saw pics of the Mach22, and yeah I would agree you could not go under, but would have to step over the dash. On the 26, you could go under. I would not want a walk through since I think the wrap around dash just adds to the look of the 22 and 26. In addition, if I had to do it with a used boat, I would be concerned about the bracing, and re-rigging that would need to occur.

HAVASU DCB
08-19-2002, 03:14 PM
DESIGNER MARINE IN CORONA,CA.
THEY DO EXTREAMLY CLEAN WORK.

roln 20s
08-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Check out boattraderonline.com and search manufactuerer- DCB. Last time I searched, there was a Open Bow/Cuddy Mach 26 with a 540 that looks real nice. Only a year old I believe- If I had the money, I'd buy it. I think it was high $70's. Just a thought.
Roln 20s

Charley
08-19-2002, 05:58 PM
TOBTEK:
I have a new Mach22 on order right now. Its really not a big deal to make it a open-bow and pretty inexpensive. Dave told me to take delivery on the new boat,and if my wife-to-be has to have it a bow-rider he will cut it up! NOT sure if you can craw tru under the dash though..hmmmmTobtek if you get a 22 with a lot of room you won't be able to talk the wife into the "Bigger" 26 in a few years hehehe :D

mbrown2
08-19-2002, 06:27 PM
R20's,
Thnx..Yeah, I saw that boat as well..looks pretty good. Not quite ready to pull the trigger, going to wait until after Labor Day, and then keep my eyes open during the offseason.

playdeep
08-19-2002, 06:47 PM
There is a 2001 26mach crawl through open bow still for sale.It is located in New Mexico.540MerlinII,Dart aluminum heads,lots of goodies.Depending on the owners mood when you talk to him,the price is in the 70k range.His cell# is 505-306-6011.I think he wants a new boat with clip-ons.

DBM
08-20-2002, 08:51 AM
mbrown2, I live in simi and have a 25 daytona with an open bow, blown 540 with all the goodies,Bmax, stereo, and brand new interior by D&S marine.
Its for sale if your interested, buying a 28 LP. cell 805-207-8761

mbrown2
08-20-2002, 09:39 AM
DBM,
What year is your Eliminator? Any pics? I am looking for something 1999 or newer. Have not decided between IO or Clip on's but leaning towards clip ons. I think the newer Eliminator Daytona's 22-Up have the fiberglass innerliners...something I am interested in since I always seem to be tightening all the screws on my Eliminator Eagle 230 after each weekend.

FASTERDAMITT
08-20-2002, 10:14 AM
I hope you guys don't have your kids in the front while flying across the lake in a cat open bow! Two weaks ago my daughter was in a friends open bow 25. Hit a wake from a large v bottom and smacked her face on the bow rail! Well you could guess what she looks like now. I'm so glad she didn't break any facial bones. Tissue damage and a hole in her cheek from her tooth, black eye's swelling ect...
Open bows are convenient but with the increased leverage in front of the boat it's not nearly as safe. Please use caution!
Thanks Tom

mbrown2
08-20-2002, 10:33 AM
Faster,
Hear you lound and clear...the open bow is mainly for cruising and floating on the river. We have an open bow now, and I don't ride up there, but others like to, so when they are up there, I keep the speed down.

DBM
08-20-2002, 10:40 AM
mbrown2, boats a 98 in great condition, my kids have ridden up front without any problems for three seasons,maybe driver error or unavoidable
nautical hazzards may be to blame, this could happen in any open bow V or cat.

WaltersCamp
08-20-2002, 11:30 AM
mbrown2:
I have never ridden the Mach22, but would like to so I can compare the rough water capabilities. If the Mach22 is still questionable in the Chop, I might have to bite the bullet and go Mach26. The open-bow would allow me to suffice my better-half's request of an open bow for the additional seating. Compromises keep the household happy.Go for the 26' if you know you'll be in chop. My 22' is okay in chop, but anything bigger than 1' and you're gonna get wet. I get beat-up pretty good in Havasu.

TOBTEK
08-20-2002, 03:21 PM
FASTERDAMITT:
I hope you guys don't have your kids in the front while flying across the lake in a cat open bow! Two weaks ago my daughter was in a friends open bow 25. Hit a wake from a large v bottom and smacked her face on the bow rail! Well you could guess what she looks like now. I'm so glad she didn't break any facial bones. Tissue damage and a hole in her cheek from her tooth, black eye's swelling ect...
Open bows are convenient but with the increased leverage in front of the boat it's not nearly as safe. Please use caution!
Thanks Tomwow, that doesn't sound eek! like fun! Maybe the kids in front will have to ware helmets and chest protecters J/K..will have to watch the speed if we go with the open bow

mbrown2
08-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Since we are on the topics of Mach's. Does the 26 have a fiberglass innerliner or is it resin coated wood that make up the floor,back seat bases, side paneling, etc?..I kind of like the idea of being able to have snap in carpet to take out and clean. Also, just seems the wood takes a beating over the years.

mbrown2
08-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Walterscamp,
Thx for the feedback on the 22, that was what I thought, and you were one of the first to validate it. Great boat on smaller chop, and you can't beat the acceration with the twins and it is a sharp boat, but I am looking for something heavier and bigger to go over/through the chop. Just a big bullet to bite going up in size, but I don't want to have to do this again 2-3 years from now.

Mach 22 Racer
08-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Get the 26. Dave and I are great friends. My 22 runs sweet. Just imagine bigger and more Bad ass behind the wheel. Besides, custom boats are always better that eliminatot.

mbrown2
08-22-2002, 08:22 PM
Mach Racer,
How do you like the ride of your 22? the only thing that keeps me looking at the 22, is our docks at Parker are tight, our Lauch Ramp is curved and tight and parking on the street at the river is real tight...I know it will be a rougher ride during the major weekends, but we spend those weekends mainly floating, sandbars, and at roadrunner...

Mach 22 Racer
09-06-2002, 02:47 PM
It is a great ride. First of all, If you float, you're gonna get the bow wet :( . Cleanable but difficult. Second, Crank up to about 75-85 and it is a smooth ride all through. At Mohave, the water gets really choppy, I just but some foot into it and just glide through the water. If you were beached or on a sandbar, you'll be fine. Thats about it.

mbrown2
09-06-2002, 03:41 PM
22 Racer,
Thx for the info...I took the plunge and got KAB's Mach 26 DCB...took delivery of it last Friday and it was great at Parker...best riding boat I have been in...I kept telling myself at DCB.."If I get a 22, I am going to step up in two years, so just swallow now and skip a step"...its a great boat.