PDA

View Full Version : water in my bowl??

boatncraze
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I added 90 wt to my bowl today on the two top screws and when over when the oil came out the other hole I had a little bit of milk also come out. Is this ok? What should I look for? ANy input would be great thanks!

Moneypitt
02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I ran a jet for 3 years with nothing in the oil holes, no oil, no plugs.....Nothing....Then I found out what they were for!!!! BTW the bushing was fine....No noticable wear........I guess the water that got in there every time it was in the water helped lube the bushing............MP

boatncraze
02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah I read that thread....Just curious on the water in the bowl.. I am new to the jet boat so....It wasnt that much water...But I know that water settles under the oil so??? I guess it would be alright to let it go and just squeeze a new tube in to flush some water out every trip??

sdba069
02-22-2005, 11:14 PM
NO GREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you were thinking push some fresh oil through it as often as needed. Get the bowl off and install new bushings and seal first chance you get. Loctite the seal and take a center punch and lightly peen around the top edge of the seal boss to help hold the seal in place. Don't get too rambunctious becuase you can distort the area behind the seal and it will leak on the backside. It's petty easy also for the punch to slip off and damage the seal, so be careful. Be sure to install the lip on the seal facing forward toward the impeller. It's made more to keep water out than oil in. Think about this, most Dominators don't use a seal or a rear plug and the bushigs are water lubricated. I just rebuilt one out of a 78 Condor that had never been apart and the shaft and bushings had pretty much zero wear. The shaft was a little bit shiny where the bushings were but had negligable wear. They work great in the water, but running them out of the water is probably not a good idea.

sdba069
02-22-2005, 11:15 PM
One more thing......... put sealer on the big bowl plug threads and the 1/8"npt oil plugs.

LVjetboy
02-23-2005, 01:22 AM
boatncraze, you got a Berk right?
If so and I remember right, there's a bowl end cap that seals the bowl oil reservoir from water. I used silicone to seal that cap and no more milk. Although I doubt water in oil will seriously damage the journal bearing, I'd guess pure oil is the better lubricant...something to strive for. At least in my case, it was an easy fix so why not?
jer

Fogged Gullwing
02-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Running the pump without the boat being in the water often will cause the seal to cut a groove into the shaft creating a small leak resulting in the milky or low oil problem.
BK