PDA

View Full Version : Any wireless networking gurus???

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
i have my laptop on a wireless card with a Lynksys WAP upstairs. My PC is hardwired into the WAP as well. But there are a couple of issues i have been having:
1- If i am online with my laptop and my wife goes online with the PC, my laptop connection gets lost. I have to reboot to regain access.
2- i am having to push the reset button on the WAP more often than i'd like. If leave my laptop for an extened amount of time, the connection gets lost just as described in issue 1 above and rebooting doesn't give me a new signal.
any ideas?

Bre
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Who installed the system?? I have the same thing... but can use mult. computers/ laptops at one time. If no one can help I will call the guy that installed mine in the morning. :)

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Bre]Who installed the system??
that'd be me!

Bre
02-22-2005, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Bre]Who installed the system??
that'd be me!
LOL.... why don't you unistall it and re-install it.. you had to of selected a wrong option or something :squiggle: I know there are ways where you can alter it so you can have a stronger signal or a weaker one... like ours we have set... so if someone was in front of the house they cannot even see that we have a wireless connection... but it works everywhere in the house.. So there has to be something where you can change how many computers can run off off of it at one time???
I will check back in the am... if no one else helps out... I will call him

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I had reinstalled it one time for different reasons. and i don't think i am as secure as i should be. but any help you can post would be greatful...
thank you friend!!

Bre
02-22-2005, 09:58 PM
I had reinstalled it one time for different reasons. and i don't think i am as secure as i should be. but any help you can post would be greatful...
thank you friend!!
Can you take your laptop outside and detect a wireless internet connection? I know there are ways if someone had the brains... they could get onto your computer at home through the connection... only thing I know how to do is steal a wireless connection LOL.... If you want it set differently let me know.. and I will ask him about that too.

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't know what products you have, but you should have a switch or router connected to your cable or DSL modem. Your access point should be connected switch or router (unless you have an all in one unit). I have not heard of this kind of problem before... the units are inexpensive enough, you may want to get a new one.

hasty450
02-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I've seen on some XP machines that if you have the SSID broadcast disabled on the router that they will lose the connection shortly after being connected. As a default setting on the router this is enabled, so you should know if you have disabled it or not. As far as only being able to connect with 1 PC at a time, I would try swapping the wired PC over to a different port on the router. Outside of that I would think equipment problem. JMO. Good Luck! :D

Essexive G's
02-23-2005, 02:29 AM
You may also want to check the router config. If you have a static IP setup for each mac address it's possible that both the desktop and the laptop have the same IP setup in the router. Try going into the router config, deleting IP addresses, boot up laptop, and desktop then turn on router. The router should then config each mac address to individual IP address.

CJ
02-23-2005, 04:21 AM
You may also want to check the router config. If you have a static IP setup for each mac address it's possible that both the desktop and the laptop have the same IP setup in the router. Try going into the router config, deleting IP addresses, boot up laptop, and desktop then turn on router. The router should then config each mac address to individual IP address.
This does sound like the reason you may be getting knocked off. However, if this is true and you sign back on, it would most likely knock her off next.
Check your settings for DHCP. That is a technology that, when you turn your PC on, looks for a free IP address and assigns it to your PC. That way when you or your wife log on, you will definitely have different IP's.
I use the Linksys 2.4G router with WAP. I have not researched the security of the product in the years I have had it. If some terrorist logs in from my street, I guess I'll have some explaining to the FBI to do, eh.

Dr. Eagle
02-23-2005, 06:11 AM
This does sound like the reason you may be getting knocked off. However, if this is true and you sign back on, it would most likely knock her off next.
Check your settings for DHCP. That is a technology that, when you turn your PC on, looks for a free IP address and assigns it to your PC. That way when you or your wife log on, you will definitely have different IP's.
I use the Linksys 2.4G router with WAP. I have not researched the security of the product in the years I have had it. If some terrorist logs in from my street, I guess I'll have some explaining to the FBI to do, eh.
That's why I bought separate components. The Netgear switch I have needs no configuration so it is idiot (me) proof. I hate reading manuals...

Raisin Wake
02-23-2005, 07:30 AM
You could try static IP's for both computers. That would probably work. One more thing you may want to do is set the MAC address filter, in the WAP, to only allow access to your laptops wireless card. That way, no other wireless device will be able to use the connection.

JetBoatRich
02-23-2005, 07:50 AM
is anyone in the house using a wireless phone? If it is a 2.4ghz phone and your card is 2.4ghz you could have another conflict :220v:

CJ
02-23-2005, 07:46 PM
is anyone in the house using a wireless phone? If it is a 2.4ghz phone and your card is 2.4ghz you could have another conflict :220v:
Yep! Got that! My 2.4gHz phone sucks due to my router. I use my cell instead. Just never took the time to fix it.

shueman
02-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I have a Linksys Router upstairs with the cable modem. The upstairs PC is direct-connected to the router, and the wireless access point is connected to another port. I can use my laptop wireless OR the desktop wireless downstairs, but not both at the same time.

JetBoatRich
02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I have d-link cards in all our computers and router :wink: no problems except when they use the old cordless phone :wink: after I bought a 5ghz phone no problems :wink:

Brooski
02-23-2005, 11:55 PM
I have the same product. The pc upstairs is hard wired to the router, the laptop is wireless, set up with WEP encryption. I can be on both at the same time. I was able to network the two until I set up the WEP encryption for the laptop. Since then, I cannot get the networking to work. At least no one can hijack my wireless signal......I hope. :eek:
BTW, I am running XP Home on the PC, XP Professional on the laptop.

ROZ
02-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I have a product called the Air station. There are 2 or 3 homes in the neighborhood who are running wireless networks in their home and are on at any given time..
MY INTERNET IS FREE :D
It's going to suck if they go to secured networks :hammerhea

shueman
02-24-2005, 06:00 AM
I have a product called the Air station. There are 2 or 3 homes in the neighborhood who are running wireless networks in their home and are on at any given time..
MY INTERNET IS FREE :D
It's going to suck if they go to secured networks :hammerhea
Interesting.....my computer in the garage will do that, pickup another wireless access point from time to time....won't connect, but does show the signal strength....

shueman
02-24-2005, 06:07 AM
I have the same product. The pc upstairs is hard wired to the router, the laptop is wireless, set up with WEP encryption. I can be on both at the same time. I was able to network the two until I set up the WEP encryption for the laptop. Since then, I cannot get the networking to work. At least no one can hijack my wireless signal......I hope. :eek:
BTW, I am running XP Home on the PC, XP Professional on the laptop.
Does it work with the "encryption" off....?? A possible confilict there (don't know fer sure)... :rolleyes:

Brooski
02-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Does it work with the "encryption" off....?? A possible confilict there (don't know fer sure)... :rolleyes:
Yes it does. I figure that is what is preventing the networking, just havent looked into fixing the problem yet.

mickeyfinn
02-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Do you have DSL or cable? If it is DSL and your ISP uses PPOE to log in you have to have the router lpg in. If your connection in XP is doing the login then this is why onecomputer boots the other off. Very few ISPs allow multiple IP leases anymore.

Racer277
02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
You might just try another card...
I have a Linksys WAP, working no problemo.
Picked up a Linksys Card for my notebook, spent 8 full hours ****ing with it. :boxingguy
Finally decided to do some searches on the net, found Major issues with Win2000 and Linksys cards.
Took it back, got a Belkin card (for $30), worked in 3 minutes. :messedup:
And I'm supposed to know what i'm doing!
Just my .02

JetBoatRich
02-24-2005, 03:53 PM
You might just try another card...
And I'm supposed to know what i'm doing!
Who told you that lie :confused: