PDA

View Full Version : Shifting 2.5's

DrewDown
02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Is it true that you can only shift the merc 2.5's if your running a rubber hub? Any info about this would be great. Wear & tear? What parts? How much to fix etc.

mbrown2
02-23-2005, 11:16 AM
I think it depends who you ask. I have heard it both ways from supposed knowledgeable sources that you can or cannot shift them under power.
Best for longevity to turn them on in gear.....they even recommend this with 300x's. Actually, once you get the hang of it, you can actually put the boat back on the trailer while leaving them in gear and bump each side (turn off/on) independently to keep it straight cause sometimes they idle fast with big props on the 2.5's and 300x's.
However, I have asked a number people can you shift a "non-drag" 2.5 Sport model...and they say yes you can, however, for longevity you are best to start them in gear....
Being on the river with the current, I shift them continuously while under power and have witnessed no issue with the 300x's..

DrewDown
02-23-2005, 12:10 PM
I thank you

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 01:00 PM
That's about it... yes you can. No you shouldn't
BJH

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
In most cases .. is there a nutral lock of some type.. (cant start in gear?)
CH.. Your gonna love this..
and I'll never here the end of it.. but here it goes..
We now have 2 stokers in the family..
224 IO
20.4 2.5 OB

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Damn big ballers... making me feel small time :2purples:
You drive the 20.4 yet? I bet it's a totally different animal than the 224 :2purples:
BJH

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Damn big ballers... making me feel small time :2purples:
You drive the 20.4 yet? I bet it's a totally different animal than the 224 :2purples:
BJH
yea.. its pretty light.. I actually like it a lot.. but.. the steering sux ass.. Feels like it needs some kind of assist.. when I got the jackplate up and on the gas.. it takes every bit of strength to hold that thing straight.. doesn’t feel safe..lol..
I’m building the motor a little more.. Its a stock 280.. Runs pretty hard.. Just a pain in the ass to gas it up..lol
It’s the little women’s boat.. She said we can make it faster.. I told her it has to go over 100 to get in the garage…lol

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
yea.. its pretty light.. I actually like it a lot.. but.. the steering sux ass.. Feels like it needs some kind of assist.. when I got the jackplate up and on the gas.. it takes every bit of strength to hold that thing straight.. doesn’t feel safe..lol..
I’m building the motor a little more.. Its a stock 280.. Runs pretty hard.. Just a pain in the ass to gas it up..lol
It’s the little women’s boat.. She said we can make it faster.. I told her it has to go over 100 to get in the garage…lol
Play w/ props on it, cleavers are a bear on my boat, but ET's are much easier. The yamaha drags are fun too. I have a 26" Yamaha copy you are welcome to try.
BJH

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Play w/ props on it, cleavers are a bear on my boat, but ET's are much easier. The yamaha drags are fun too. I have a 26" Yamaha copy you are welcome to try.
BJH
We'll bring it up to BBSP and you can point me in the right direction..
but.. back to the thread.. it dont like to shift whil running..do I need to do something to get around that.. can I shift in gear with out disabling something?

mbrown2
02-23-2005, 03:05 PM
We'll bring it up to BBSP and you can point me in the right direction..
but.. back to the thread.. it dont like to shift whil running..do I need to do something to get around that.. can I shift in gear with out disabling something?
I am not aware of anything you can disable to make it easier to shift in gear....and their is no lockout from starting it in gear....explained to me that they are cone clutches and have no problems being started in gear....just dis-engaging them while in-gear feels a little tight...

mbrown2
02-23-2005, 03:07 PM
JP, when did you get the other Stoker? I think I saw that 20.8 2.5 setup recently in the trader...pretty sick boat....:) great to hear...
Hydraulic steering to the helm will help a great deal if it don't have that already...if it is just dual cabled, it will definitely be tight.....get her to work out that ONE ARM somehow while not driving....I am sure something comes to mind! :D ;) :D

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 03:11 PM
JP, when did you get the other Stoker? I think I saw that 20.8 2.5 setup recently in the trader...pretty sick boat....:) great to hear...
Hydraulic steering to the helm will help a great deal if it don't have that already...if it is just dual cabled, it will definitely be tight.....get her to work out that ONE ARM somehow while not driving....I am sure something comes to mind! :D ;) :D
Its the GF's .. she's had it for a while.. Al built it for this guy named Gary.. its got all the right stuff on it and real nice paint (coweling sp?) too.. its super clean and pretty fast..
for a whacker..lol
I think its only cable.. it couldnt have hydraulic in it .. its way to hard to turn..

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm not the guy to talk to about set-up on that boat. Ask Al, he'll be able to point you the right diresction faster than I.
What's it running now? That boat should be in the high 1- 0-somethings.
I'll look to find out what wire it is to make it able to start in gear. It's a REALLY common mod.
BJH

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm not the guy to talk to about set-up on that boat. Ask Al, he'll be able to point you the right diresction faster than I.
What's it running now? That boat should be in the high 1- 0-somethings.
I'll look to find out what wire it is to make it able to start in gear. It's a REALLY common mod.
BJH
I know how to ground that out so it works.. I just havent seen it it a couple months..
the set up on it is right.. its just hard to steer.. Maybe Im spoiled.. but at 90mph.. I dont want to fight with it..
the boat is not even really for me.. so it has to be easier to drive then that..

mbrown2
02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Wow....a chic with a wacker....that's pretty different, but cool...don't know what she finds in a hear(cough)....Drive breaker that you will turn out to be... :D

stoker2001
02-23-2005, 03:30 PM
That boat should be in the high 1- 0-somethings.
BJHdont get me wrong,i love them or i wouldnt of shelled out 60k for our new one :2purples: they are not like a mirage or STV were triple digits come real easy with 280hp,with a strong 300 drag maybe?they will however smoke the stv or mirage when the water gets a little bumpy :eat:

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Wow....a chic with a wacker....that's pretty different, but cool...don't know what she finds in a hear(cough)....Drive breaker that you will turn out to be... :D
LMAO.. well.. Now .. when/if the drive breaks.. We got a back up..
Just like you.. mr I have 9 boats and dont know which one to drive today.. :D

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 03:36 PM
dont get me wrong,i love them or i wouldnt of shelled out 60k for our new one :2purples: they are not like a mirage or STV were triple digits come real easy with 280hp,with a strong 300 drag maybe?they will however smoke the stv or mirage when the water gets a little bumpy :eat:
its true.. the boat does really well in rough water.. well.. bumpy water.. its still a small boat..

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm still running hard (90ish) in the choppy water. Just have to slow down (ALOT) when it gets to be more soup than just whitecaps. The main body @ Havasu SUCKS...
BJH :hammerhea

DrewDown
02-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Can you shift these bastards when there not running?

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Shift, then start...
if you want to go from forward to reverse, shut it off, shift, start it up...
If you want to go from neutral to forward, shut it off, shift start it up...
You can go from in gear to neutral, but i'm so in the habit of shutting the motor down before i grab the shifter i usually dont....
BJH :boxed:

You Te
02-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey JP,
I have a sea star pro hydraulic steering system I'll sell it to real you cheep.
You Te

TwinMach26DCB
02-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Lou / Lew
I just purchased a twin DCB 26 and Lakeland this weekend said that there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever shifting these while running... He said it's the old schoolers that shut them off out of habit however the new technology is VERY capable of shifting.. Nothing to worry about per Lakeland..

Forkin' Crazy
02-23-2005, 09:29 PM
As long as it doesn't bind. If it does, just bump the motor over a little, and it should go in.

hugh jascock
02-24-2005, 12:22 AM
the set up on it is right.. its just hard to steer.. Maybe Im spoiled.. but at 90mph.. I dont want to fight with it..
the boat is not even really for me.. so it has to be easier to drive then that..
2 choices mark, seastar pro hydraulic steering or hit the gym. the dual cable may be safer (it is redundant, if you break a cable you still have steering) the hydraulic either works or it doesn't but the ease of steering and reduction of torque steer is mighty nice.
welcome to the small whacker club! :eek:
your pal,
h/j
p.s. fear of economic insecurity seems to have left you :)

You Te
02-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Lou / Lew
I just purchased a twin DCB 26 and Lakeland this weekend said that there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever shifting these while running... He said it's the old schoolers that shut them off out of habit however the new technology is VERY capable of shifting.. Nothing to worry about per Lakeland..
No problem shifting while running as long as you don't run to much rpm at idle and if you break something Lou can fix it for a fee.
I like to start in gear and avoid the clunk.
You Te

jackpunx
02-24-2005, 08:02 AM
2 choices mark, seastar pro hydraulic steering or hit the gym. the dual cable may be safer (it is redundant, if you break a cable you still have steering) the hydraulic either works or it doesn't but the ease of steering and reduction of torque steer is mighty nice.
welcome to the small whacker club! :eek:
your pal,
h/j
p.s. fear of economic insecurity seems to have left you :)
LOL.. well.. like I said .. Its the GF's boat..she got it all by herself.. what can I say.. she has good taste :)
I just want it to be safe for her to drive..

HavasuDreamin'
02-24-2005, 09:55 AM
There is nothing wrong........or unsafe about dual ride guide steering. It just takes a little bit of muscle with a surface prop. Hydraulic is the way to go if you don't want to muscle it, but the dual cable is perfectly safe. I actually prefer it. You can feel every little thing that is going on through the wheel.
Good Luck................hey post some pics. :mix:

pussycats
02-24-2005, 08:51 PM
There is nothing wrong........or unsafe about dual ride guide steering. It just takes a little bit of muscle with a surface prop. Hydraulic is the way to go if you don't want to muscle it, but the dual cable is perfectly safe. I actually prefer it. You can feel every little thing that is going on through the wheel.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2363Cheering_Bailey_005.jpg
here she is.......

mbrown2
02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2363Cheering_Bailey_005.jpg
here she is.......
That is a sweet friggen rig....NICE. ;)

hugh jascock
02-24-2005, 09:09 PM
i think thats a 20'2" not a 20'4". i had 1 of those for 13 yrs and it is definately better looking than the new style. its a classic. we have a stv now but the stoker was a total cadilac. good luck with it! :)

HavasuDreamin'
02-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Beautiful boat. :shift:

jackpunx
02-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Yep.. its a runner.. Our garage is stoker city ;)
its all boats that starts with S..
were going to add a Skater next :smile:

CrazyHippy
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Yep.. its a runner.. Our garage is stoker city ;)
its all boats that starts with S..
were going to add a Skater next :smile:
46?
:idea: BJH :idea:

Forkin' Crazy
02-25-2005, 05:22 PM
It helps if you have a torque tab. I can drive mine with one hand @ 90+
Nice looking boat, pussycats!!! :cool: