PDA

View Full Version : vest vs. speed

RP1
02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
At what speed in a boat do you feel it is necessary to wear a life vest?

Jbb
02-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Between 0 and 150... :cool:

repo man
02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
any speed!!!!

JUST LOOKING
02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
:2purples: At what speed in a boat do you feel it is necessary to wear a life vest? When ever you board a boat :cool:

lucky
02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
about half way in the air :D

RiverDave
02-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Are you guys serious? You really put on a vest "everytime" you go for a boat ride?
RD

phebus
02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I've never worn one, and at the speeds I would think one would be necessary, I don't own one that would be adequate.

Her454
02-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I guess it would depend on what type of boat? And who was driving? And where? Common sense dictates safety for the most part. I choose to wear mine any time I ride in a boat that makes my eyes water. :D
If we are talking kids..........ALL THE TIME.
OH, and ANY time Scarlata is driving. :rolleyes: :rollside:

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 01:11 PM
If my boat ever goes that fast, I'll let you know.
Forensic
How fast?
I dont wear mine often enough.. My head plays tricks on me when I put it on.. I feel like I got to push it.. Although my boat goes pretty fast.. I never feel like Im pushing it beyond its/my limits.. Having said that.. I am aware of all the crazy things that happen that we never expect.. things that are usually outside of our control..
I plan on trying to get used to wearing mine alot this year.. just for the hell of it...

CrazyHippy
02-23-2005, 01:12 PM
If i'm going out ot "play", i'll put it on. If i'm just crusing, nah, and i've run 70-75 for miles w/o
Also depends ont eh conditions, i got caught on Mead when it kicked up and had my vest on, lanyard on and was barely on plane...
BJH :jawdrop:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
02-23-2005, 01:24 PM
anytime Kilr drives :hammerhea

flattie
02-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Depends on what your driving. anything over 55 in a Flatbottom or a Jet. but it would be probally anything over 85 in one of those big boats
"Never drive faster than your gardian angel can fly"

Liberator TJ1984
02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
If it's not 100mph rated it would probably not stay on anyways ???
Just Playin' around I have passengers wear the 100mph. cert. jackets, I carry 4 adult and 2 kids sizes on board ...kids wear them all the time even just cruzin' , to sittin still out in the open water....never know when some idiot or jet ski may ram ya :wink:
serious passes ....the " Lifeline Jacket " goes on for sure

spectras only
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't wear it when cruising relatively slow. However
when out for blasts everyone wears one. In case someone
gets pitched out hitting the water certain way, can knock
the wind out of you.Case in point , I was pulling my son
and a friend in a tube no faster than 30 mph. In a sharp
turn my son pitched out of the tube and hit the water
hard .He didn't signal that he's ok and seemed floating
lifeless :2purples: .Got to him quick though ,but doubt
that he wouldn't have sunk like an axe without the life
jacket .You have to make sure that the life jacket floats
the person with his/her face above the water.

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't know. It depends on the boat and driver. Considering that I have a v-hull daycruiser, the speed I would put on in my ride would be a lot lower than say, if I climbed into your Stoker. The ride of the boat would matter, I have been in some boats where I wanted one at 60 cause I just felt it was a bad situation. Then I ride in other boats and feel safe way over that.
Forensic
well.. you have been in my boat.. I dont remember you asking for one :supp: :D

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 01:56 PM
You are correct sir... :D Your boat rides smoooooth. Can't wait to check it out this summer with the upgrades.
Forensic
this weekend? :mix: I'll see you at the secret spot :D

LakeRacer
02-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Just check the coast guard statistics and you'll understand why you should wear one at all times.

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Just check the coast guard statistics and you'll understand why you should wear one at all times.
Yea.. your probably right... but thats a loaded statement.. and I dont know anyone who wears one at all times except for LE and CG..

Unforgiven
02-23-2005, 02:41 PM
I guess it would depend on what type of boat? And who was driving? And where? Common sense dictates safety for the most part. I choose to wear mine any time I ride in a boat that makes my eyes water. :D
If we are talking kids..........ALL THE TIME.
OH, and ANY time Scarlata is driving. :rolleyes: :rollside:
if tony's driving you might get a pad for your ass

Kilrtoy
02-23-2005, 02:58 PM
have you ever seen IN2-MX drive
anytime his engine is running.......That boy can't drive.....

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 03:03 PM
have you ever seen IN2-MX drive
anytime his engine is running.......That boy can't drive.....
So how far in front of him do I need to stay to be safe? :D

Kilrtoy
02-23-2005, 03:13 PM
So how far in front of him do I need to stay to be safe? :D
Stay behind him, if you are in front there is a chance when you stop he may catch up to you and it may not be pretty

mbrown2
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
At 22MPH, 80' behind the boat on a wakeboard...j/k :D
What's point of the question?....maybe you should have polled everybody cause I can guaranty there is no single right answer...

jackpunx
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Stay behind him, if you are in front there is a chance when you stop he may catch up to you and it may not be pretty
LMAo
PS.. congrats on the ride.. Cant wait do go in it.. when its moving.. with out my shoes on..lol :supp: :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
02-23-2005, 03:52 PM
have you ever seen ME drive
anytime my engine is running.......I can't drive.....
WELL SAID

Kilrtoy
02-23-2005, 03:54 PM
WELL SAID
I remember a big bitch sitting in the back going damn this is fast slow down i dont have a vest , I turned around and said Im only going 70MPH and you said, So that is what 70 feels like.....

shueman
02-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Wear a PFD whenever the boat is on the water and the key is "on"....it should NOT be an option.....

Kim Hanson
02-23-2005, 08:01 PM
I go raw baby and I do make my passengers wear them though...You never know when shit will happen.........Im still here :p 100mph + boat

77charger
02-23-2005, 08:27 PM
to me it depends on the situation in my eliminator unless the conditions get reall crappy and monsoon then i'll put it on.In the flatbottom i wear a chute lifeline at all times driving it and will do short burst of speed now if i know i am going to a 100 mph pass i wear all the right gear.have taken it to 115 on the river more on the 1/4 mile :crossx: