PDA

View Full Version : repairing bottom of boat

mdlfnsatx
04-22-2006, 04:39 PM
i need to replace the stringer that is running through the middle of my jet boat, it appears that it is held in place by the fiberglassing. im new to this it looks straight forward, but am i missing something, it looks like remove the fiberglas that surounds the stringer, replace the stringer and fiberglass it in, install new styrofoam and top it off with new plywood. is it that simple and are there any modifications i should dosince im putting in a blown 468bbc later. by the way im new and would apprecite any help or suggestions.

jimslade
05-09-2006, 04:26 AM
search boatdesign.net. Lots of info.

martan
11-27-2006, 07:03 AM
i need to replace the stringer that is running through the middle of my jet boat, it appears that it is held in place by the fiberglassing. im new to this it looks straight forward, but am i missing something, it looks like remove the fiberglas that surounds the stringer, replace the stringer and fiberglass it in, install new styrofoam and top it off with new plywood. is it that simple and are there any modifications i should dosince im putting in a blown 468bbc later. by the way im new and would apprecite any help or suggestions.
I rarely put the foam back in because it can absorb water but never dries out. In most cases just putting it back together without the foam is fine. Occasionaly I have had to add a heavy laminate to account for the foam no longer being used. Also the foam can strenthen the stringer vertically by not allowing it to move, you can do this with some mini bulkheads.
www.bowkersfiberglass.com

mdlfnsatx
11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
thanks martran for the response, but i have to ask, when you say mini bulkheads, could you elaborate some on how theyre done and what you use please..