PDA

View Full Version : 460 guys...

FHI-prez
02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
I've done quite a bit of research on different exhaust for my 460. I need water jacketed, and would like to keep it under 2k. Any off the wall suggestions for the best bang for the buck? Pretty sure I've seen all the main stream stuff, and probably "most" of the not so main stream stuff.
More specifically, anyone have any personal experience with the billet adapters to cross over to the dark side on the exhaust? Anyone have any experience with them. I guess this is kind of a shot in the dark because I think most of you run OT's so you may not have personal experience with the jacketed crap. But please lemme know if you do have any input on jacketed exhaust, either 460 specific or the billet adapters (from hardin marine I think).
Something tells me that I'd rather have something to just bolt right up to the damn heads and not mess with an adapter, but I could be wrong.
BTW: I have made a heat exchanger that I think you guys might get a kick out of. I haven't tested it yet, so I don't want to say too much till I get the kinks out, but there will be lots of pics and test results forthcoming. I'll give you a hint, it looks NOTHING like any heat exchanger you can buy, looks pretty damn cool if I do say so myself. Hell, I might try to patent the SOB if it works as good as I'm hoping it will. :notam:

1978 Rogers
02-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Do you want Log Style or high performance type?

FHI-prez
02-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Do you want Log Style or high performance type?
Got logs :yuk: need something to flow MUCH better. Not opposed to good flowing center rise cast aluminum, jacketed headers would be the best I suppose, but most are pretty cost prohibitive. Lightening makes a set for like $1900 or so, however they are steel tubes outside with SS tubes inside. Not sure how well the steel would hold up. I know they are coated but still leary of steel in a damn boat. Also they are chebbie headers that utilize the billet adapter which I'm not too sure about either. This is why I'd like some feedback if anyone has some.
My cam and engine combo needs something with much less back pressure and better scavanging than logs can deliver. So I'm open to any HI-perf exhaust as long as they will last. It seems I'm going to drop some coin on whatever I buy, so I want to make sure they last. :cool:
thanks, Nick

77Eliminator
02-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Try Lighting
http://www.boatheaders.com

hack job
02-24-2005, 06:31 AM
i ran the lightings on my bbf and it was a big change from the logs that were on there. i would say that the only problem i had was the adapters they worked well but the made it so the headers hit the valve covers. :rolleyes:
but other wise i picked about 500 rpm but that was a extrem situation. ;) good luck i wouls still say go with the lightings. iam still running them and have had no probs.

FHI-prez
02-24-2005, 07:35 AM
i ran the lightings on my bbf and it was a big change from the logs that were on there. i would say that the only problem i had was the adapters they worked well but the made it so the headers hit the valve covers. :rolleyes:
but other wise i picked about 500 rpm but that was a extrem situation. ;) good luck i wouls still say go with the lightings. iam still running them and have had no probs.
I was wondering about that. I have the tall Ford Racing valve covers on my engine and was wondering if the adapters made more clearance or less. I guess I thought the adapters would provide more clearance to the valve covers. How did the adapters make the exhaust hit the covers? Do they change the angle of the flange or something? This is why I'm aking you guys, I don't want to blow a couple of grand on a set of good exhaust only to find out they don't fit properly. Of course if you ask lightning I'm sure they would say they haven't heard of any fitment problems.

hack job
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I was wondering about that. I have the tall Ford Racing valve covers on my engine and was wondering if the adapters made more clearance or less. I guess I thought the adapters would provide more clearance to the valve covers. How did the adapters make the exhaust hit the covers? Do they change the angle of the flange or something? This is why I'm aking you guys, I don't want to blow a couple of grand on a set of good exhaust only to find out they don't fit properly. Of course if you ask lightning I'm sure they would say they haven't heard of any fitment problems.
yeah they kick the header in a bit so theu rubbed the valve cover. sitll cant beat them for performance :wink:

FHI-prez
02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
yeah they kick the header in a bit so theu rubbed the valve cover. sitll cant beat them for performance :wink:
How bad did they rub the valve cover? Do you have the stock height or the tall Ford Racing valve covers? What did you have to do to solve the problem to install them or did they just rub the valve cover enough to piss ya off? It seems that the lightning headers are going to be about my best option. Guess I just kinda want to know the pitfalls before I find out the hard way. Thanks for the input Hack Job. :cool:
Nick

mevale
02-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I have the tall Ford Racing valve covers and running the lightings whit the adapters, Jane at lightings cut and re-welded the valve covers for me and so far so good. In the future I’ll be upgrading to blue thunder 100cc heads whit Chevy exhaust ports. Hear are some pictures ofhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2143valve_covers_001.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2143valve_covers_002.jpg headers and valve covers.
Joe

FHI-prez
02-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I have the tall Ford Racing valve covers and running the lightings whit the adapters, Jane at lightings cut and re-welded the valve covers for me and so far so good. In the future I’ll be upgrading to blue thunder 100cc heads whit Chevy exhaust ports. Hear are some pictures of headers and valve covers.
Joe
Thanks for the pics Joe, that kinda sucks you had to do that to your covers, but looks like it works well for you now. I talked to Jan at Lighting headers (hell of a nice guy btw) and he said that he would want me to send him one valve cover so he could adjust the header accordingly. He has a BBF in the shop and he'll mock it up to make sure it clears. He was extremely helpful and answered all my dumb questions about the adapter and such. I was so pleased with phone conversation that I had with him I'll be getting my headers from lightning when I get them. Unless I stumble on a MUCH better deal in the meantime, looks doubtful in the least.

UtlGoa
02-25-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm also considering running these type of headers on my Bahner. I have the same valve covers as pictured above. Why does lightning build there headers with such tight clearance around the valve covers? What will I have to do to make the headers fit?
I'm running logs right now. Will the routing of the water lines be alot diffrent with the headers?

Ken F
02-25-2005, 08:25 PM
If anyone might be interested, I have a set of 1 year old Bassett TT's for sale
which are in excellent shape, and have been blown out each time the boat is put on the trailer. $550
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3084/878headerSM1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3084/878HeaderSM2.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
02-25-2005, 08:30 PM
If anyone might be interested, I have a set of 1 year old Bassett TT's for sale
which are in excellent shape, and have been blown out each time the boat is put on the trailer. $550
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3084/878headerSM1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3084/878HeaderSM2.jpg
I thought those sold Ken ???

Ken F
02-25-2005, 09:14 PM
No Jim...not yet

FHI-prez
02-26-2005, 03:14 PM
If only I could get a set of jacketed headers that cheap!
Almost bad enough to make ya want to burn the engine cover. :eat:
As to the person that asked why they make the headers so close to the valve covers. Well in short, they don't. Lightning doesn't make a jacketed header for the 460. They are mounted on billet aluminum adapters that correct the difference in the angle between a BBC and a BBF and different bolt paterns. The closeness to the valve covers is just an unfortunate coincidence. Like I said before, Jan at lightning told me that if I send him a valve cover he would mount it on a mule 460 and adjust the headers accordingly so they don't hit. They'll be close, but they wont hit.
Nick

BLEWBAYOU1
02-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I wonder why Lighting doesn't make a jacketed header for BBF? :idea: You would think there would be enough market for them. They sure put it to us ford guys. :hammer2:
Brian ;)

Dman
03-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Hey Ken F, I would be interested in those headers if you could email me and give me a little info. jdjudd@earthlink.net :mix:

flat broke
03-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Couple of things here.
"why doesn't Lightning, CMI, Gil, ETC, make 460 headers?" Probably because the 460 is no longer used by the OEM suppliers in their engine packages. The potential for upgrade sales is nowhere near as strong as the SBC/BBC platforms. Just the way it is.
"why does Lightning make their headers so close to the valvecover?" Remember that for a lot of people, these are an upgrade from a stock component and may need to fit within a certain area. By making they wide by default there would be potential to have to modify things that cost more than a $75 pair of valvcovers. Additionally, if you go down to Lightning, Jan can make the headers to your application. By doing the one offs as the exception and not the norm, he's able to provide the product in volume to retailers like CP, etc. and keep the prices lower. Honestly, for the work in a set of those headers, I think his out the door price for custom ones built for your application is a good value. I got a set made up with MUCH longer collectors to combat reversion tendencies, and I didn't pay a dime more than I would have paid through CP for an "off the shelf" pair.
Speed costs money, and to do it right, we all have to pay. So buck up for the good parts and you wont have any complaints. Take the time to talk directly to the manufacturers when you can. In the instance of Lightning, Jan is easy to work with and can accomodate some requests if you have the time.
And under no circumstances should you ever run injected through transoms under a hatch. Unless of course your sending your ex wife out in the boat and you have a good sized insurance policy on her ass.
Chris