PDA

View Full Version : Who to consider for "Pump" Work??

Brian Ray
02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Looking to have some pump work done on my berkley pump....who should I consider? :confused: My plan is to have the pump match the motor, which is going to be a 496 Stroker. Hoping to get close to 600hp and turn around 6,000rpm..... :idea:
Also what things should I consider having done to the pump (ride plate, droop snoop, etc.) as a ton of money will be spent on the motor to only find out I've left hp on the table because my pump setup sucks..... :hammer2:
Thanks,
-Brian

Hustler
02-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Call Jack at MPD or Tom Papp at Papp racing, either one of those guys will do a grerat job for you

BrendellaJet
02-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Since your in California, JAck at MPD does great work. Hes a little backed up right now, but thats a good sign :sleeping:

superdave013
02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I was at Papp's shop last week. Nice guy and a place he has out there. I would not think twice to drop some parts off there.

BUSBY
02-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I would go w/ Tom Papp ... 951-734-4606 ... he's honest and fair w/ pricing ... also one hell of a pump builder. Give him a call, he'll be able to hook you up w/ all of your needs.
BB

hack job
02-24-2005, 02:08 PM
i would go with jack at mpdmpd in costa mesa (http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/)

SPECTRABRENT
02-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Jim Brock 818-890-1867.
Brent

Jordy
02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Chet Capoli. I hear his dad is a television repairman and has the ultimate set of tools. :D

Johnwithjm
02-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I was at Papp's shop last week. Nice guy and a place he has out there. I would not think twice to drop some parts off there.
Dave you were out here and didn`t stop by and say hi

Taylorman
02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Chet Capoli. I hear his dad is a television repairman and has the ultimate set of tools. :D
We have a winner.LMAO

Fogged Gullwing
02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
There is only one obi one kanobi :lightsabe
Jack Mc Clure MPD
BK

flat broke
02-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Jack at MPD is my recommendation, but the others mentioned may work for you as well. Not to be rude, but with that big heavy 21, any impeller that will give you a decent holeshot or liveable crusing speed is not going to make it to 6krpm unless that 496 has some SERIOUS stones... like 800+hp. If you haven't finished the spec on your motor, try and get your peak HP down a little lower than 6k if you can.
Good luck,
Chris

Jake W2
02-24-2005, 07:03 PM
MPD :D
Jake

FOURQ
02-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Tom Papp TPR (http://www.tompappracing.com/)

KIDPUNCHY
02-24-2005, 08:27 PM
JIM BROCK :mix:

superdave013
02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
what about Jetboatguru?? He is the guru and all ;)

franky
02-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Jack Mclure (mpd) Is The Man......that Guy Knows His Stuff, Straight Forward And Honest. He Is One With The Bowl.

mouzer
02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Tommy Papp ! :D :coffeycup

moneysucker
02-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Tom can get you all set up and help guide you on how to get to the goal you want your boat to be at.

BUSBY
02-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I agree w/ Chris (flat broke) ... make sure that your motor has the stones to get it up and going before you take it to anyone ...
My experience has been with both McClure and Papp ... the only difference was the relationships, I just felt like I was getting along w/ Tom more ... but different people deal w/ everyone differently. I agree w/ moneysucker that Tommy w/ look at your big picture before selling you anything ... but then again, I guess they all will ...
My best advise is to meet/call them, McClure/Papp/Brock, and see which one you like to deal with the best.
Again Good Luck,
BB

DEL51
02-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Relax, You do not need to change too much stuff and remeber your friends close to home.Swap Impellers and loaders w/friends and then decide where you are at.The changes by the pump guys will improve effiency but at a cost. get your baseline first.

Bense468
02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
BB
Thats a nice looking setup in your avatar busby... I am assuming that is your deaver. Have any more pics, where do you run..and welcome to the boards

BUSBY
02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Thanx ... but actually, that was my engine when it was in my jet boat, prior to my Deaver. It has been upgraded quite a lot since then.
I am glad that I have found the boards ... and appriciate your welcome.
I have been involved with the NJBA circuit for quite some time ...I got involved through my Father-in-law, he has been racing Blown Gas Jet since 1990 ...
He told me years ago that if I wanted to make things work with his daughter (my wife) ... I needed to give up racing on the river (Parker) while holding my ice chest closed with my right hand, and take it to the rope.
We still have a spot in Parker ... will never let it go. However, with the restrictions there now... I don't need the hassle of putting my boat out on the water ... I have too many friends who have boats for that. You will find me at all NJBA races and a few IHBA races...
Again, thanks for welcoming me ... and I'll have more pics posted soon in the image gallery.
BB

Brian Ray
02-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Jack at MPD is my recommendation, but the others mentioned may work for you as well. Not to be rude, but with that big heavy 21, any impeller that will give you a decent holeshot or liveable crusing speed is not going to make it to 6krpm unless that 496 has some SERIOUS stones... like 800+hp. If you haven't finished the spec on your motor, try and get your peak HP down a little lower than 6k if you can.
Good luck,
Chris
Thanks Chris....You're not being rude at all....any comments are helpful good or bad. I'm really just in the early beginning stages of what I want the engine to do...engine & pump are next years winter projects but I'm starting early as I want to get as much info before I start wasting money and time on unnecessary items. It seems jets, especially in my case, are a little tricky as you really want the motor and pump to match with each other.
Currently the boat has a 454 w/cast iron gm heads...nothing special with an 650 holley dp and it turns about 4600rpm with two people and half a tank of gas...don't know the speed but previous owner had it at 51 gps. I forget the Impeller size though...I'll have to look on the pump again but it's not in the best of shape.
Next weekend I'm putting a electronic mallory dist. and a performer rpm manifold on, which I'll keep when I go the with Stroker.