PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Brace Question???

sifocalpoint
02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Ok, My rudder shaft comes threw the floor of the boat then into the stuffing box?? Is that what that things called. Then above the stuffying box is a flat piece that runs between the stringers. It is a flat aluminum piece that is obviously made by Hallcraft cause thats what it says on it, and it has raised ribs on the outside edge and in the middle. It is mounted to the stringers with 2 small aluminum angles.
What is the name of this piece....is it a rudder brace??
Anyhow its ugly and i dont like it, so could i just make one out of a 1/2" piece of aluminum. Will the aluminum be strong enough, or does the hallcraft one have the ribs for extra strength?? Does this part rely on strength?
Thanks Guys

dmontzsta
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes, that is the rudder brace. Why dont you just polish it out? or have it powdercoated?

lucky
02-24-2005, 12:08 PM
girlies like ribs :rolleyes: ypou could build one - hell most of those are cast anyways - I'd hit the billit up and go to a thicker stock - and build a stronger unit - don't forget to run two saftey collars :)

superdave013
02-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I used some angle for mine. Here is a shot before it was done.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48rudder_support-med.JPG

sifocalpoint
02-24-2005, 02:04 PM
SuperDave.....that brace looks really nice, ill make one similar to yours. I was going to polish mine, but theres nothing i hate more than shitty casting marks.
Thanks

dmontzsta
02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I used some angle for mine. Here is a shot before it was done.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48rudder_support-med.JPG
Nice stuff and a look into the sweet performance warehouse, look at all that SS line, woo hoo. :D

schiada96
02-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Ok, My rudder shaft comes threw the floor of the boat then into the stuffing box?? Is that what that things called. Then above the stuffying box is a flat piece that runs between the stringers. It is a flat aluminum piece that is obviously made by Hallcraft cause thats what it says on it, and it has raised ribs on the outside edge and in the middle. It is mounted to the stringers with 2 small aluminum angles.
What is the name of this piece....is it a rudder brace??
Anyhow its ugly and i dont like it, so could i just make one out of a 1/2" piece of aluminum. Will the aluminum be strong enough, or does the hallcraft one have the ribs for extra strength?? Does this part rely on strength?
Thanks Guys
Superdaves is very nice but 1/2 x 3 bar wold be plenty strong

superdave013
02-24-2005, 03:48 PM
what fun would that be? :confused:

johnmiller
02-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Actually called the "Upper Rudder Support"
If you make one like Dave's, make sure you fit a 1" bushing into it.

GofastRacer
02-24-2005, 06:22 PM
This is how I made mine but it's a circle boat and it's common practice to tie the the stringers to the transom for more support!..
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Rudder_Support.jpg

dmontzsta
02-24-2005, 06:29 PM
This is how I made mine but it's a circle boat and it's common practice to tie the the stringers to the transom for more support!..
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Rudder_Support.jpg
That thing is rigged very nice, I saved a bunch of your pics for future reference. :cool:

GofastRacer
02-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks bud!.. :cool:

wsuwrhr
02-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Thats niccccccccce,
I like it.
Brian

GofastRacer
02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Thats niccccccccce,
I like it.
Brian
Thanks Brian, the POS will be at Needles again!. :)

sifocalpoint
02-24-2005, 08:59 PM
I wish i wouldnt have seen that pic haha, all of these beautiful boats are making me jealous thus costing me alot of money. I should left my boat together and ran it, instead im replacing everything!! haha One day ill learn
Thanks for the pic, looks great

CXWone
02-25-2005, 08:04 PM
In the days of old, cast parts were very commen. Cheap in quantity and would fit many different boats. Go with Daves suggestion and whip one up. Not to mention you'll get a "BUZZ" from your hard work. Which really isnt hard at all once you get started. Thats from a guy who couldnt stop once he started!!!! :notam: