PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, shimming top mount starter

Nubbs
04-22-2006, 05:42 PM
My starter went bad so I decided to switch to a top mount starter with the new one. I got the starter, but I'm having a terrible time trying to line it up right. It will spin the motor, but it makes terrible screeching noises. Sometimes it won't engage properly. Are there any tricks to shimming top mount starters? Anybody got any info/advise for me? I need to get this thing ready for the summer.
Thanks
Nubbs

502 JET
04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Do you know if the starter you are using is correct?If you have another flex plate or flywheel hold it against the starter gear to see if the mesh.

Nubbs
04-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't have another flex plate. However, the tooth count on both starters is the same.

502 JET
04-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Can you tell what is happening?Does the starter gear hit the face of the flexplate and not go into the teeth?Could the starter gear be going too deep past the flexplate?Is there any marks on the gears to indicate where they are hitting?

Tn_River_Ratt
04-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Like 502 said. I had the same problem and had to shim my statrer out using washers. It took 2 per side. Hope this helps. Let me know and i'll post some pics.

Nubbs
04-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure the starter gear is fully engaging the flywheel teeth. I'll inspect the starter later to make sure. Is it possible that the starter gear is going to far in? I have to use a mirror to see how the starter gear is engaging. Even then I can't see that much. what is the ideal clearance to have?
Thanks
Nubbs

Nubbs
04-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Like 502 said. I had the same problem and had to shim my statrer out using washers. It took 2 per side. Hope this helps. Let me know and i'll post some pics.
Any pics would be helpful.
Thanks
Nubbs

Nubbs
04-25-2006, 06:45 PM
It's finally done. I had to remove some material from the starter housing in order to let the starter gear sit farther down in the ring gear. Funny how it quiets down when the gears mesh good.