PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe or Expedition? Why one over the other??

MOBrien
02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry, I'd drop this in the Tow Rigs section but it wouldn't get as much visibility/response......and I want to figure this out in the next day or so----
I know this has been discussed in previous threads and I have read them, but I'm looking for some updated opinions on this comparison for the '04 - '05 lines. Can those of you that currently have '04 - '05 Tahoes or Expeditions provide your reasoning as to why you decided to buy/lease one over the other? My wife and I like them both and we can't seem to make a decision. We're looking at either the '05 Tahoe LT 4x4 loaded to the gills or the '05 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 loaded to the gills......they're both about the same price.
A little help please? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Thanks folks,
MOB

NOTALENT
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Simple go with the Tahoe!!! It's a CHEVY!!
Ford is just a waste of time.. :D This should get the fire started.. ;)

gnarley
02-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Tahoe/Yukon
I bought the Yukon with huge discounts as a GM family member MSRP was 44K we paid 33K :jawdrop:
I couldn't do that with a Ford but didn't want one anyway.

little rowe boat
02-25-2005, 02:31 PM
If you are going to do any towing go with the Ford.My buddy had a Tahoe and whenever he had to tow,he would get p'od,so he purchased an Expedition and he is much happier.

tamalewagon
02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
one's a Chevy...the other isn't. Also...never heard of another company having as many recalls as Ford.

CornWater
02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I have an Excursion, the lady has a Tahoe.. my feeling is that Chevy's are a little more comfortable while the Fords seem a little more rugged...going out around town we take the Tahoe, towing the boat the Excursion..not neccesarily apples to apples but the same reasoning applies for me for the Expedition vs. Tahoe..

little rowe boat
02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I have an Excursion, the lady has a Tahoe.. my feeling is that Chevy's are a little more comfortable while the Fords seem a little more rugged...going out around town we take the Tahoe, towing the boat the Excursion..not neccesarily apples to apples but the same reasoning applies for me for the Expedition vs. Tahoe..
I agree,with the comfort vs. rugged analogy.

a catered life
02-25-2005, 02:49 PM
we have had 2 tahoes and many of my friends have the expedition. i have been very happy with our trucks but i am partial to chevy but ask your self this which one do you see broken down the most? do you have kids or just you and girl? whats the most inportant things in a truck for you and which one has most of them? and if you are not buying new--which one does your personal mechanic think is a better deal? how much do you want to spend? and a question that always helps me a lot which one has the higher resale value if i had to dump it asap? i see a ton of both trucks for sale and considering the recent changes in the markets both companies are offering some great deals. good luck but i say take the chevy just my .45 cents worth

Kilrtoy
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Chevy wil have have nicer amenities and looks better IMO..... Ford will tow better from what i have been told. Also the ford offers more interior room, but it is very dated ......
It is a tuff decision, best of luck whatever you get.....

MOBrien
02-25-2005, 02:59 PM
The boat in my sig is what we'll be towing...24'er at about 5,500 lbs. Which tows better? My wife really likes that power fold 3rd row, but I like the Tahoe looks........damn decisions.

Kilrtoy
02-25-2005, 03:08 PM
At that weight you might need to go to the Sub with the 8.1 or the excursion v10 or diesel.... to have no issues towing....

CornWater
02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
The boat in my sig is what we'll be towing...24'er at about 5,500 lbs. Which tows better? My wife really likes that power fold 3rd row, but I like the Tahoe looks........damn decisions.
My boat is around that weight, and the Tahoe pulls it very well..

PHOTOGLOU
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Tahoe with 4.10 gears will tow 7800 LBS so this weight will be no problem. What I think alot of people don't know is Chevy offers different gears in the tahoe 3.42...3.73...and 4.10 get the wrong gears in anything and you won't be able to pull sh*t

dicudmore
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Tahoe with 4.10 gears will tow 7800 LBS so this weight will be no problem. What I think alot of people don't know is Chevy offers different gears in the tahoe 3.42...3.73...and 4.10 get the wrong gears in anything and you won't be able to pull sh*t
4.10 would be with 4WD only correct??
Either way, my experience with both trucks is that the Tahoe out pulls the Expy...

gnarley
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Chevy/GMC 7800 LBS towing with the 5.3 and 3:73's

Parker Dreamin
02-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Just go see PHOTO and call it a day, take that back.. you don't even have to go see him, just give him a call and it is done.

Excessive Force
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
they may pull the weight ok but will it stop ok?

Garrddogg
02-25-2005, 03:48 PM
get a burban and throw a maggie on it and change the gears to a 456 she'll yank a big boat and SPANK a rustang ..
Force(getting extinguisher out)26 :2purples:

dicudmore
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
get a burban and throw a maggie on it and change the gears to a 456 she'll yank a big boat and SPANK a rustang ..
Force(getting extinguisher out)26 :2purples:
yeah it'll pull.....just remember bud the trans is your weak link...try to take it easy.
you can borrow my Duramax/Allison if ya want :wink:

THOR
02-25-2005, 04:52 PM
My Excursion tows the best. But, my Expedition sucked, and the Tahoe was better than the Expedition by far. That is my take. :D

VelocityDriver
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Excursion. You can get a diesel in it, more room, higher towing capacity.

Dr. Eagle
02-25-2005, 06:15 PM
I definitely have an opinion on this one... :yuk:

Kilrtoy
02-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I definitely have an opinion on this one... :yuk:
Oh please do share......

Dr. Eagle
02-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Oh please do share......
Nah, it's more fun letting everyone guess...

Kilrtoy
02-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Nah, it's more fun letting everyone guess...
OOOOOHHHHHHH SHIT,,
WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Dr. Eagle
02-25-2005, 06:39 PM
OOOOOHHHHHHH SHIT,,
WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED
Exactly... :)

socalmark
02-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Not sure how this will be received especially from a newbie who doesn't even have a "hot boat" but I traded in my 2001 Yukon Denali (6.0 liter - 320 ponies) for a Toyota 4-Runner (4.3 liter - 235 ponies). The 4-Runner pulls my boat (5000 lbs with trailer, etc.) better than the Denali. Also fits in the garage a whole lot easier. I also suspect it will be a lot less trouble than the Denali. Couldn't be more.

cc322
02-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Well we had a 00 expedition for a few years and when we had our 21 renegade it did ok, when we moved up in size to a 24 (25.2) Lavey we really could tell the differance. The expedition was lifted and had 33 inch tires and felt a little harry towing the lavey from havasu to mead for the regatta, thats when my wife said we nedd a 250 I couldnt have agreed more. Imo there is nothing better for towing then a least a 3/4 ton vehicle , or at least a longer based vehicle. With the two you have mentioned i would say they arent long enough, shine them both and get a f250 ck2500 or the sub or excursion, you wont be sorry. My own personal prefreance is the f250 but I like fords, good luck.

DM25CITATION
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
i have the same wieght on my 25citation. the tow will be fine until u hit a grade.i had a chevy and was hating life. friends would be flying by with there duramax or diesel in cruise control by the way. i traded my chevy in for a f250 diesel. it tows like a champ. my opinion, ditch both and go with a duramax or diesel. u will be much happier.

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2005, 12:09 PM
i have the same wieght on my 25citation. the tow will be fine until u hit a grade.i had a chevy and was hating life. friends would be flying by with there duramax or diesel in cruise control by the way. i traded my chevy in for a f250 diesel. it tows like a champ. my opinion, ditch both and go with a duramax or diesel. u will be much happier.
If you have a boat that weighs over say 5K pounds, a diesel or big block will pull it better. I pulled my 9600 pound boat/trailer up US 50 to Lake Tahoe and was passing Porches... with my 8.1L.
You need the low end torque and the small blocks just don't have as much as you need going up steep grades and at high altitude... when you have a significant towed load.
Not so much a Cheby vs Frod thing... both are good products.

ratso
02-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Last year I made the trip from Texas to Havasu with a Chevy 2500 HD gas, and I will NEVER make that trip again pulling a boat unless it is with a Diesel.

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Last year I made the trip from Texas to Havasu with a Chevy 2500 HD gas, and I will NEVER make that trip again pulling a boat unless it is with a Diesel.
Yes, the mileage sucks... if that's what you mean. :220v:

ratso
02-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes, the mileage sucks... if that's what you mean. :220v:
All the hills and grades about killed that poor truck. :jawdrop:

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2005, 12:24 PM
All the hills and grades about killed that poor truck. :jawdrop:
Hmmmmm
I have a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1 and pulled that heavy boat/trailer up some extreme grades with no problem. Lots of torque and rarely did I have the foot to the floor. Did you have the 8.1? :confused:

ratso
02-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Hmmmmm
I have a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1 and pulled that heavy boat/trailer up some extreme grades with no problem. Lots of torque and rarely did I have the foot to the floor. Did you have the 8.1? :confused:
No... I haven't driven one with the 8.1. I know the big blocks are a lot better, but the gas bill would kill me on too many trips like that. :jawdrop: :D

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2005, 12:31 PM
No... I haven't driven one with the 8.1. I know the big blocks are a lot better, but the gas bill would kill me on too many trips like that. :jawdrop: :D
That's the reason. There is no comparison between the 6.0 and the 8.1 in terms of performance. The 8.1 isn't a hotrod but it has amazing torque, and you don't need to push the throttle as hard. Surprisingly, the gas mileage between the 6.0 and the 8.1 is about equal, but towing a heavy load will be at or below 10mpg...

DM25CITATION
02-26-2005, 01:33 PM
i love my diesel. i would never own a gas truck again. once u drive and tow with a diesel, your in heaven. hitting grades at 65 on cruise control and never losing power is a great thing. your wallet is given saying " thanks you" :) :) :) :) :) :) :) .

DM25CITATION
02-26-2005, 01:39 PM
and also my f250 is lifted 8" inches with 37 inch tires too.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Sorry, I'd drop this in the Tow Rigs section but it wouldn't get as much visibility/response......and I want to figure this out in the next day or so----
I know this has been discussed in previous threads and I have read them, but I'm looking for some updated opinions on this comparison for the '04 - '05 lines. Can those of you that currently have '04 - '05 Tahoes or Expeditions provide your reasoning as to why you decided to buy/lease one over the other? My wife and I like them both and we can't seem to make a decision. We're looking at either the '05 Tahoe LT 4x4 loaded to the gills or the '05 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 loaded to the gills......they're both about the same price.
A little help please? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Thanks folks,
MOB
Quit playing around and just buy the Excursion........ :idea:
And buy a diesel.....I would never own anything but a diesel again !!!
CJG