PDA

View Full Version : NEW PROP....Who should I talk to???

Big Bear
02-26-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I need to step up from my Bravo 1 22P to a 24. I dont have a clue who to go to. I have an Advantage 28ft. Victory with the 496 HO. I'm taching out at 5000 rpm and barely running 60 with the 22. I read where Teague thinks this motor runs better a little over-propped than under-propped. I think the 24 will push me a bit past 60 and maybe with a good labbed 24 I might approach 65. Any input on whether my logic is right and where is the best place to go in the general L.A. area would be greatly appreciated!!

rvrhlic
02-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I need to step up from my Bravo 1 22P to a 24. I dont have a clue who to go to. I have an Advantage 28ft. Victory with the 496 HO. I'm taching out at 5000 rpm and barely running 60 with the 22. I read where Teague thinks this motor runs better a little over-propped than under-propped. I think the 24 will push me a bit past 60 and maybe with a good labbed 24 I might approach 65. Any input on whether my logic is right and where is the best place to go in the general L.A. area would be greatly appreciated!!
I have a 24 pitch bravo 1 prop that I will be selling in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, i would recommend buying through Teague.

Big Bear
02-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I would be very interested in your prop rvrhlic, then I would have to find the right shop to lab it. Let me know when you are selling.

Tahiti350
02-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Big Bear,
What do you plan to do with your 22p prop? according to the prop pitch calculators this is about what I need for my current config to push the 70mph mark. Let me know.

Big Bear
02-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I had planned to keep my 22 as a spare. It gets me on planepretty quick and has worked well pulling water toys. I might reconsider if the overall performance of a 24 fits my needs. I may not know that for a couple of months. Sorry Tahiti350, I just cant say at this time.

LHC30Victory
02-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey Bear, talk to Kevin or Bob at Advantage, they have test props you may be able to borrow. Once you find what works, then go to ebay and buy one.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-26-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't think you will be able to push the 24P.......
At least not in the summer.......
I was also running a 22P @ 62 MPH with my 496 MAG HO and tried a 24P....
We basically have the same hull........No good.....
Lost 400 RPM and did not come on plane very well.....also, added stress on your drive....
Went to a 26P after the addition of the Whipple to my 496....
With the new motor I can push a 28P in the Summer & a 30P in the Winter....
I have spent TOO much time messing with prop's & HP....
Give it a try though.....as Ted (LHC30Victory) stated.....Advantage will let you borrow a blue (Demo) prop.....
Drop me a line if you need any help....
Later,
CJG
;)

shadow
02-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Big Bear,
What do you plan to do with your 22p prop? according to the prop pitch calculators this is about what I need for my current config to push the 70mph mark. Let me know.
I've got an extra Bravo 22 ss prop if you are looking for one.I'm looking for a 28 4blade ss if you happen to have one.

phebus
02-27-2005, 07:21 AM
I definately wouldn't go out and buy one without trying one first.
If you ar at max, and taching 5000, you are right there in the proper rpm range. If you move up to a 24P, your rpm's will drop by approx. 400 rpm. Your plane time, as well as top speed should suffer.
And, if you get a 24P, and it works O.K. now, I would definately keep the 22P, because in the hot months, it will be time to switch back.
Now, a labbed 24P might be the way to go. You'll gain your rpm's back, and be able to take advantage of the larger pitch.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-27-2005, 08:17 AM
I definately wouldn't go out and buy one without trying one first.
If you ar at max, and taching 5000, you are right there in the proper rpm range. If you move up to a 24P, your rpm's will drop by approx. 400 rpm. Your plane time, as well as top speed should suffer.
And, if you get a 24P, and it works O.K. now, I would definately keep the 22P, because in the hot months, it will be time to switch back.
Now, a labbed 24P might be the way to go. You'll gain your rpm's back, and be able to take advantage of the larger pitch.
Yea, what he said !!!! :idea:

James'SS-24
02-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey Big Bear, I've got a 24 bravo 1 that I bought from Bronson Hill and had them tune for me. I'll take 250 if your interested. I think they took out just a little pitch and thinned the blades but not as thin as a mercury labbed prop would be. It worked well on my HTM with a 496 until I did the whipple! :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey Big Bear, I've got a 24 bravo 1 that I bought from Bronson Hill and had them tune for me. I'll take 250 if your interested. I think they took out just a little pitch and thinned the blades but not as thin as a mercury labbed prop would be. It worked well on my HTM with a 496 until I did the whipple! :D
Now THATS a deal !!!!!! :D

Big Bear
02-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey Chris, Maybe next month or so when we get thru this shitty weather, if you are going to be at the river, I'll bring my boat out by you and I'm sure you can get that 24 from Bob and we can try it out like we talked about. I have no problem spending the $ for a labbed prop if it will work. I have your #, you have mine, maybe we can make this happen.
Robey aka Big Bear

Kachina26
02-27-2005, 03:15 PM
We have similar numbers on the 22 prop, I put a 24 on mine a week ago 65 degrees and light to moderate chop. I lost 400 rpm and gained no speed. I have it in to get labbed right now. I'm hoping to get my 400 rpm back or maybe a little more so I can still turn it in the summer.
What's everyone else paying for lab work?

STV_Keith
02-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Try Kevin at R & R Prop Shop (http://www.randrpropshop.com). He has a bunch of used props, and can likely suggest what may work well for you. He may take your prop + $$$ for what you want, and has loaned me lots to try. :)
702-564-7502

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Chris, Maybe next month or so when we get thru this shitty weather, if you are going to be at the river, I'll bring my boat out by you and I'm sure you can get that 24 from Bob and we can try it out like we talked about. I have no problem spending the $ for a labbed prop if it will work. I have your #, you have mine, maybe we can make this happen.
Robey aka Big Bear
You got it man !!!......
Hopefully you won't be workin' so much this Summer.....
Tell Fran I said HI !
CJG