PDA

View Full Version : Spray on Bedliner, possible idea

sifocalpoint
02-27-2005, 06:16 PM
I had previously posted a message about redoing the floor in my schiada flat. Instead of gelcoat has anyone every seen spray on bedliner used. It can be tinted an array of colors, and would be very durable. Keepin mind im only doing the stringers and in betwwen the stringers. All other areas and in front of the gearbox will be carpet.

BILLY.B
02-27-2005, 06:32 PM
I had previously posted a message about redoing the floor in my schiada flat. Instead of gelcoat has anyone every seen spray on bedliner used. It can be tinted an array of colors, and would be very durable. Keepin mind im only doing the stringers and in betwwen the stringers. All other areas and in front of the gearbox will be carpet. I have seen it and my feeling is anytime you cover up the floor with paint, carpet, or just about anything other then wood and glass I figure the person is trying to hide something ( not that you are). This can come back to haunt you. if there is ever a problem like delamination you'll never be able to tell and that can lead to more serious problems like....The boat coming apart :jawdrop: . Now I don't know if your trying to cover anything up i'm just giving my .02. I never saw your other post or I would of tried to help you out.

GofastRacer
02-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Like Billy says, been there done that I learned that with my first boat, anything that can hide anything will bite ya in the ass down the road. Leave it glass, if the floor is ugly you can add color to the resin to cover it up(I'm doing that with the Nordic) but at least if anything starts to happen you will see it before it's too late!....My .02!..

superdave013
02-27-2005, 07:11 PM
First off nothing looks better then a nice wood floor. Morg's is so nice it makes me want to cut the floors out of mine and re-do 'em (not gonna happen)
Mine is gelcoat. Was gelcoated when I got it and I just re-did it.
This boat has spray in bed liner on the floor.
http://www.sweetperformance.com/70_Hallett.jpg

Kindsvater Flat
02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Dave the owner of that site is gonna be pissed for hotlinking...

superdave013
02-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Dave the owner of that site is gonna be pissed for hotlinking...
only if you tell on me! :p

WILDERTHANU
02-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I did some rigging on a jet that had the floors done in bed liner(RED)... IMO it looks very ceap, if anything gel the floor.

coolchange
02-27-2005, 07:23 PM
That Hallet looked pretty good with the yellow liner. Looked like low maintance with easy clean up an non skid. I Gel coated a floor beige once. Nobody even really noticed. BTW the seats in that Hallet are bitchen! ;)

superdave013
02-27-2005, 07:27 PM
BTW the seats in that Hallet are bitchen! ;)
Yeah, those seats are coolchange. :)
I think the plumbing is pretty sweet myself. lol

coolchange
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Funny you should say that, I was just checkin out the chrome (?) ends.

coolchange
02-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Is that "T" on the intake side of the pump a lawn hose adapter? Or maybe a bilge pump with a seat operated valve to suck the bilge dry??

sifocalpoint
02-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Well i guess im going to stick to the gelcoat idea. My floors arent really that bad, but to get them how i like, i would have some serious time invested stripping them down and redoing them. Im just going to scuff them up and gel it purple. That yellow does look nice though.

GofastRacer
02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Well i guess im going to stick to the gelcoat idea. My floors arent really that bad, but to get them how i like, i would have some serious time invested stripping them down and redoing them. Im just going to scuff them up and gel it purple. That yellow does look nice though.
Smart move!..

Ron Hill
03-01-2005, 04:16 PM
What is the bedliner stuff made out of? I mean like is is gelcoat? Epoxy?
How strong it it? I've been wondering if it would be good to spray on the inside of a capusle....for extra strength!!! It seems strong and not very heavy...Does it stick to wood? Or glass??
Thanks...Hope I'm not way off topic here...

sifocalpoint
03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Ron, i did my research today and this stuff sounds pretty damn good,
The man said it will cover nearly everything and stick as long as its simply scuffed up.
Its guarenteed, it can be sprayed with texture, without texture, and nearly any thickness. It will not come off and it can flex almost like a hard plastic, but it is guarenteed not to crack. It is resistent to nearly anything on earth, and is non porous and wont fade, or warp.
An avarage bedliner is sprayed about 1/4" thick....BUT..it can be sprayed very lightly just to cover the surface and still be durable. A truck bed is obviously thicker because of the abuse it gets. To get my whole boat floor done similar to the yellow boat posted above, it would run around $400.00.
Being that i only need the stringers and in between the stringers done, and ill have it prepped, im looking at between $250.00 and $300.00.
BEST OF ALL YOU CAN TELL THEM THE PAINT COLOR CODE AND IT CAN BE MATCHED!!
My schiada flat will not be used as a race boat, and never will be used as a race boat, nor will it be abused or have the crap beat out of it, so im not too concerned about hiding any problems that could arise. If i was building a crazy 130mph lake racer with plans of beating the piss out of it, i would definately reconsider like the guys here are saying, but for my application it will work perfect and is very cost affective, takes 3 hours, and its done!! It will never look as nice as gel, but you hardly see it anyway once everything is installed. http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/
Check that website, it will find a place in the area that does it, but there are alot of other brands also. Rhinolining even has a commercial i just show saying how they reccomend it for boats and jeeps etc.
Hope that helps

superdave013
03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
What is the bedliner stuff made out of? I mean like is is gelcoat? Epoxy?
How strong it it? I've been wondering if it would be good to spray on the inside of a capusle....for extra strength!!! It seems strong and not very heavy...Does it stick to wood? Or glass??
Thanks...Hope I'm not way off topic here...
Ron, I think the stuff is pretty heavy. But if you want the real scoop from someone in the know talk to Marcel @ the Line X dealer in Huntington Beach. He's a boat guy too and if it's something that would work for ya would love to get involved I'm sure.
I'm thinking that it pretty much sticks to about anything.

superdave013
03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Funny you should say that, I was just checkin out the chrome (?) ends.
Those ends are polished nickel. You will have to ask Dave Sammonds about the tee on the inlet of the pump.

franky
03-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Line-X has the best product. Newest formulations, sprayed on hot. Sticks and doesn't fade. Rino is old technology.

BrendellaJet
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
not to hijack the thread, but is there a another pic of that boat that gives a differnt perspective of the floor that might actually show more of these coolchange seats? :D