PDA

View Full Version : Starter for 455

El Prosecutor
04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Anybody purchased a starter lately for a 455?
Where, how much?
Is there a right way to convert an automotive starter?

VAspectra
04-23-2006, 03:12 AM
I bought a new one for my engine about a year ago from CP Performance. It ran about $80, if I remember correctly.

El Prosecutor
04-23-2006, 08:12 AM
I bought a new one for my engine about a year ago from CP Performance. It ran about $80, if I remember correctly.
I wish!
From http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=3420
Starter
620-5315M
Brand Name: Hardin Marine
Clockwise Rotation
For 455 Olds Marine V8 High Performance Engines
Sale Price $239.99 :skull:
But that's really not that much per pound. If it was one of those overpowered light weight gear reduction models maybe I could complain. . .
:cool:

502 JET
04-23-2006, 08:41 AM
If you want to save a little now have your starter rebuilt or fix it your self.Starters in a boat live in a harsh environment and have a tendency to corrode inside from moisture and condensation and with a little clean up will work for many more years.Look in a old Chiltons or Motor manual for info.Take your starter apart it is broke already.If your starter has not melted inside check the brushes replace them if worn out clean the armature and clean and check the bushings/bearings.Make sure the armature turns freely in the bushings.Make sure the bendix moves freely and the gear is not torn up.If you need any parts go to a starter re builder or a good auto parts store or dealer.Lube up the bushings reassemble it and install a new soleniod.Bench test and install.
If all this seems above your level then it would best to buy the new starter spend a little more now and it should last a long time.You cant put a price on reliability.

VAspectra
04-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Wow! Was it really that much? I didn't recall it being that expensive. I guess I was so desperate to get a new starter I forgot how much they charged. But they did send it fast and it works great.

El Prosecutor
04-23-2006, 01:39 PM
If you want to save a little now have your starter rebuilt or fix it your self.Starters in a boat live in a harsh environment and have a tendency to corrode inside from moisture and condensation and with a little clean up will work for many more years.Look in a old Chiltons or Motor manual for info.Take your starter apart it is broke already.If your starter has not melted inside check the brushes replace them if worn out clean the armature and clean and check the bushings/bearings.Make sure the armature turns freely in the bushings.Make sure the bendix moves freely and the gear is not torn up.If you need any parts go to a starter re builder or a good auto parts store or dealer.Lube up the bushings reassemble it and install a new soleniod.Bench test and install.
If all this seems above your level then it would best to buy the new starter spend a little more now and it should last a long time.You cant put a price on reliability.
I am down with all of this, but the one I have to rebuild is not a marine starter. It has an open throat down to the armature and I am just counting my blessings it hasn't blown us up already. If I could get reliable instructions on how to marinize it I would rebuild it, even thought it weighs a ton.

502 JET
04-23-2006, 04:16 PM
You can try and give these guys a call for a marine starter http://www.ebasicpower.com/starters/
When I did the starter on my Mercruiser engine I did not see any difference.Give a local starter re builder a call and ask them for a price on a new marine starter.They may give you a better deal than a boat place or they may know what the difference is with the marinized unit.

Rexone
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Olds IMI is under $200 (http://www.rexmar.com/page306.html)
You should never rely on your electrical devices to protect you either regardless of marine or not. Shit happens and sparks occur a lot of places and so do fuel leaks. Always run the bilge blower / open hatch well before firing up.