PDA

View Full Version : Tahiti Info Request

77_Tahiti
06-18-2001, 12:03 PM
Looking for more info on a 1977 18-foot Tahiti with a 460 BB and Panther jet drive, I just bought it. The hull seems to be somewhat unique, the engine area has a hinged fiberglass cover with a mild scoop and some air induction vents, appear to be factory installed. The interior layout has only a single drivers seat with a center facing seat behind the driver and a long center facing seat on the passenger side, seems to be the factory layout as well.
Has anyone seen a Tahiti with this layout before? Also any feedback on the standard Horsepower, dry-weight estimate and any info about this configuration, setup, opinion, or whatever would be appreciated. Just want to learn a little about this Tahiti.

Bubbledeck
06-18-2001, 05:14 PM
77_Tahiti I can't help you much, but I think I vaguely remember a seating arrangement like yours. I have a 18' 1976 Tahiti bubbledeck with a 460 and a Berkley. Not sure but I think it's 330 HP. As for the weight I weighed mine with the trailer and I think it was about 2800 lbs .. it's been awhile, so I'm not sure.
I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine!

77_Tahiti
06-19-2001, 05:38 AM
Bubbledeck,
Thanks for the weight and HP information. The guy I bought it from had a rev limiter installed and has it set to 4500 RPM max. The engine appears to be bone stock, does this setting sound a little high? Also I was told there is no need for this rev limiter if the jet is tight, any thoughts on this subject?

SoggyJet
06-19-2001, 05:45 AM
The Rev Limiter is definately a good idea for any jet. If you catch air in the jet your engine RPMs can climb to the sky almost intantaneously. We all catch air from time to time. 4500 RPM should not be too high for your stock engine (my thought was that it is actually a little low).
Good luck. Doug

Cas42
06-19-2001, 06:18 AM
Tahiti,
The rev limiter seems to be a little low. I had a 75 18' Tahiti with a basic stock motor and it tached out at 4800. You might want to consider bumping it up a couple of hundred rpm's.
SteveC

77_Tahiti
06-19-2001, 06:33 AM
SoggyJet & Cas42, thanks for the feedback.
I was viewing the jet housing last night and noticed letters that say "Maritec". I was told this was a Panther Jet and after researching Panthers Web site the linkage setup and housing look like an older panther, however im still unsure. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on this Jet?
Im Green when it comes to the jet boat thing but somewhat confident in my general mechanical abilities. I would like to have a better understanding of what it is I have in this boat. also should I be greasing or maintaining anything specific on a regular basis for this Jet?
[This message has been edited by 77_Tahiti (edited June 19, 2001).]

JOESHOW
06-19-2001, 12:38 PM
When I was in high school (almost eight years ago) my friends dad had a 77' tahiti 18' with a stock 460 (minus a few "bolt-ons") The seating arrangement had a driver and passenger seat facing forward, and a bench seat in back that also faced forward. This setup also appeared to be stock. I don't remember what pump it had but I do know that it was way faster than what it should have been!! I don't know why but we could beat or hang with some boats that we shouldn't have even been racing!! We rode that thing VERY hard for three years and it never missed a beat (except for that minor sinking incident, but that was hardly the boats fault!) Good luck with it!

Bubbledeck
06-19-2001, 05:30 PM
77_Tahiti according to my tach which I don't know to be accurate, I tach out at 4400.My boat runs pretty strong, so I'm just not sure about the 4400. I'm going to check that with a diagnostic tach this summer (said that the past 3 summers heh). I don't have a rev limiter, but wish I did. I have gotten air before and you can not get your foot out of it fast enough. As for seating, mine has 2 front buckets and 2 oversize seats in back that face each other.

Cas42
06-20-2001, 08:57 AM
I can't be certain but Maritec Jets were made up to 1973 when they switched over to Panther. You might want to call Steve at Panther to be certain. I currently have a 78' Tahiti 21' mini day with a Panther. For what I need, it suits us real well. The downfall to a Panther is you can't do too much to them like you can a Berk, Legend, Dominator and some others.
As far as maintainance, there's a zerk fitting inside the rear nozzle that needs to be greased with marine grease about every 25 hours of use. Also, you need to check the oil level (90wt) at the front of the jet. There should be a dip stick that you'll need to unscrew to get it out. Make sure when you check it that the oil is not milky, if it is, you may have a blown seal which could lead to bearing failure.

johnnie jetboat
06-22-2001, 06:18 AM
My cousin has a 75 18' tahiti with the same seat layout, which appears to be a stock set up. i personally don't much care for this layout as being the passenger during WOT ain't much fun(nothing to hold onto, puts you in the back seat.). His is a 454 with a berk squirt.
Originally posted by 77_Tahiti:
Looking for more info on a 1977 18-foot Tahiti with a 460 BB and Panther jet drive, I just bought it. The hull seems to be somewhat unique, the engine area has a hinged fiberglass cover with a mild scoop and some air induction vents, appear to be factory installed. The interior layout has only a single drivers seat with a center facing seat behind the driver and a long center facing seat on the passenger side, seems to be the factory layout as well.
Has anyone seen a Tahiti with this layout before? Also any feedback on the standard Horsepower, dry-weight estimate and any info about this configuration, setup, opinion, or whatever would be appreciated. Just want to learn a little about this Tahiti.

77_Tahiti
06-25-2001, 06:36 AM
Cas42,
Thanks for the info on the maintenance of the panther unit. I was able to locate the dip stick just inside the transom, appears to be a bolt with an extended hex head? Have not checked yet, the access is very limited to the dip stick. As for the zerk fitting, I was not able to locate this. I viewed the exploded diagrams of this unit on ADM Boat Works website, found the callout in the parts list but unable to locate in the diagram.

77_Tahiti
06-25-2001, 07:15 AM
Cas42,
Thanks for the info on the maintenance of the panther unit. I was able to locate the dip stick just inside the transom, appears to be a bolt with an extended hex head? Have not checked yet, the access is very limited to the dip stick. As for the zerk fitting, I was not able to locate this. I viewed the exploded diagrams of this unit on ADM Boat Works website, found the callout in the parts list but unable to locate in the diagram.

Kamakazi Ken
06-25-2001, 07:22 AM
I just bought a witchraft with the same Panther jet and 460. After a little hunting I talked to steve @ panther jet, he had me call a company in SoCal. that had bought the motor division. His main advice was to treat the motor as a light truck 460 with a mild cam, and to never go over 5200 RPM. Also 4800 RPM was ok for a short time and cruise @3200-3800 RPM,
I have had several OB boats but this is my first JET, I am learning as I go so if you get any good advice please pass it on and I'll do the same.
Good Luck

Cas42
06-25-2001, 11:08 PM
Tahiti,
Sounds like you found the dipstick. The zerk is found by looking into the nozzle and should be right dead center. It can be a little hard to see and it's also possible that it has popped out some how. Get a good flashlight and see if the zerk is there or if there appears to be a hole where a zerk should go. BTW, the area I'm speaking of is about 8 inches in from the end of the rear housing.

Cas42
06-25-2001, 11:13 PM
oh yea, I would highly recommend getting the service manual from Panther. It gives you a lot of real good info to better take care of your Panther.