PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?, swamping?

dregsz
02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi, Sorry I'm a newbie,
I'm looking into getting a jet next month for boating on the Wilamette and Columbia, moving up to Portland.
I've never had a small boat. Is swamping a real concern for low freeboard, 70s style jet boats?
Sorry, I had to ask
Evan

victorfb
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
swamping is a consern on any boat, and especially low freeboard boats. but as long as you know that and take the time to learn how to drive it you should have no problem. just remember you are responsible for your passengers aswell, so make sure you make good decisions on who and how many ride in your boat.
and welcome to the boards. its a fun friendly place and informative. :D

Danhercules
03-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Be alert. Whan just kicking back and floating, you have to watch other boats.
I have noticed other bigger boats slow down when they get close to me, I think they are trying to be nice,(or lookin at my boat!:shift:) , but the wake gets bigger. I was almost swamped when a 26+ boat made a u turn behind me. I was not even in the drivers seat, I was on the bow with my wife ( :supp: ) and I told her to hold on and I started the boat, drving from the bow. It was close then, I took on a lot of water. Needless to say, i was a little pissed, I yelled at the guy, and he had an attitude, untill he relized what he did, then said sorry.

roostwear
03-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Listen to Dan.... he knows about swamping.

BrendellaJet
03-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Be alert. Whan just kicking back and floating, you have to watch other boats.
I have noticed other bigger boats slow down when they get close to me, I think they are trying to be nice,(or lookin at my boat!:shift:) , but the wake gets bigger. I was almost swamped when a 26+ boat made a u turn behind me. I was not even in the drivers seat, I was on the bow with my wife ( :supp: ) and I told her to hold on and I started the boat, drving from the bow. It was close then, I took on a lot of water. Needless to say, i was a little pissed, I yelled at the guy, and he had an attitude, untill he relized what he did, then said sorry.
If a boater is so dense that they are not aware that could occur from a maneuver like that, they deserve a thorough soaking from a little jet boat :)

GasGuzzler
03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Head into the wind and the waves and a good bildge pump or two, nothing like it! At the dock head the boat out towards the waves and tie it up facing out from the bank and let it ride the waves. If they mess with ya, you can always squirt em' Happy motoring.

Liberator TJ1984
03-01-2005, 08:14 AM
I have a very low freeboard , I made a splash gaurd out of 3/16" smoked Lexan glass about 8" tall at the rear and tapers down to about 2 1/2" right up to about the rear seat :coffeycup

BrendellaJet
03-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Also, when coming to a stop, keep an eye onthe wake behind you, it doesn't plan to stop when you do so you can take on water over the transom if your not careful, just gas it a little and itll go away.

GasGuzzler
03-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Also, when coming to a stop, keep an eye onthe wake behind you, it doesn't plan to stop when you do so you can take on water over the transom if your not careful, just gas it a little and itll go away.
YEA, what he said!

Danhercules
03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Listen to Dan.... he knows about swamping.
Thats Sinking, not swamping. LOL :hammerhea

Squirtin Thunder
03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=GasGuzzler]Head into the wind and the waves /QUOTE]
Just make sure your not in a pickle tunnel :D
Don't you mean don't get your Tunnel in a Pickle !!!!

moneysucker
03-01-2005, 01:39 PM
First, welcome to the boards. As far as swamping the boat. Buy a good bilge pump first of all, I buy a new one every year but that isn't really necessary. By good, I mean one that pumps a lot, automatic is the best route, so you don't have to watch the boat all day long.
Swamping is a big concern for most of us and anchoring facing out toward the water is a good idea and usually requires a rear anchor too. Splash guards help and the way the top cap is shaped helps keep water out too. a covered engine compartment will also add peace of mind. also, knowing what waters are safe for your boat and not getting in over your head.
Have fun.
Cy

berk
03-01-2005, 04:26 PM
hey come on out to p-town and go boating! the biggest problem we have in the wilamette, columbia is one that most lake jetboaters will never experience. someone said a 26' er almost sank them, well how about a 500'er cruising down the channel at 30 mph! these big ships, combined with massive tugs, can make a serious wake. even worse is when you get two in the same area making "crossing wakes" these waters can be so unpredictable that you could be in trouble without an engine hatch to keep the swamp factor down. i have seen jet skiers tossed off their bikes from these wakes in a heartbeat. i would suggest a boat with a hatch unless you are going to be south of downtown mostly. also anchoring with the bow out has always seemed tricky to me, because the pump is then banging the ground all night and you cant reel it in to get beer without getting your feet wet. the camping by boat here is awesome though so get a boat for sure if you like to camp.
where are you moving from?