PDA

View Full Version : Another sub question...

Phat Matt
02-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Would you rather run 4 12" Alpine SWS's, 4 JL 12W3v2's, or 2 JL 12W7's?
Each set up would be powered by 1 JL 1000/1 amp. The system would be in a deckboat. I am looking for SPL and SQ. Anybody have any experience listening to these subs? Are the W7's really worth the extra money?
Thanks
Matt

rvrhlic
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I cannot seak for the Alpines or the W7s but i have 2 of the 12w6v2's in my boat and it rocks. I don't think you would need the w7's but ut depends on how much base you want.
Each set up would be powered by 1 JL 1000/1 amp. The system would be in a deckboat. I am looking for SPL and SQ. Anybody have any experience listening to these subs? Are the W7's really worth the extra money?
Thanks
Matt

phebus
03-01-2005, 06:53 AM
I would design the entire system before deciding exactly what bass speakers to go with. You don't want to end up with a bass heavy sound system.

Phat Matt
03-01-2005, 09:20 AM
I would design the entire system before deciding exactly what bass speakers to go with. You don't want to end up with a bass heavy sound system.
I know what I will be doing for the highs...Infinity Kappa's like what I have now.

BoatFloating
03-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks
Matt
So Matt going to a deck boat?????
I have heard all the ones you mentioned except the Alpine's. I can tell you from experiance in a deck boat it is very difficult to find places to put subs that won't rattle every screw and bolt lose. The problem with boats is bass finds all the rattles
On my current boat I was looking at 3 JL 12W3v2's and decided to go with 2 12W6's and that his run by a JL 1000/1. I'm very happy with the sound quality and it saves on room. I think in a boat the W6's would be fine and the W7's would be over kill IMO. Last week I tried another 12 W6 in a prefabed sealed box under the bow of my boat and it increased volume (which I have plenty) but that was it and it wasn't worth the money for another sub. So my vote would be 2 12W6's that match up perfect with the JL 1000/1....

ROZ
03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Space.... If you have the space to dedicate to 4 subwoofers, go for it. If you're looking to conserve space and have great output, go for something like the W6 or W7....
While the W3 and type-S are comperable speakers inclass, they do sound a bit different. Listen and buy the one you like.. Nice thing is that the Alpine have a Santoprene surround...A plus if the speakers will be in direct contact with water.
The Alpine has a vented pole and the mounting depth is just over 6"... The JL is about a .25" shorter and doesn't have a vent. This is a plus if the magnet will be really close to the back of the enclosure.... The gain is .5" of overall enclosure depth, if there happens to be a space issue...

Phat Matt
03-01-2005, 01:19 PM
So Matt going to a deck boat?????
Yeah. I think it is time and perfect for the way we party. We are a floating nightclub with a bar and we need more room. :D I want to do the install during the build process to make it as clean as possible so that is why I am asking now. If I can't put the system I want in the boat, then the boat's not going to work for me.

riverbound
03-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I personally like the JL W3's. I jhave had really good luck with using them in the past. I would recommend lstening to the speakers and making your decision on what speakers produce the type of sound you like. I know of a shop in Ontario that carries the Alpines and the JLs. :wink:

BoatFloating
03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah. I think it is time and perfect for the way we party. We are a floating nightclub with a bar and we need more room. :D I want to do the install during the build process to make it as clean as possible so that is why I am asking now. If I can't put the system I want in the boat, then the boat's not going to work for me.
So what MFG are you looking at??? All my boats I've done the wire running and most of the install during the build process. Let me know if you have any questions as I've been there done that a couple 4 times.....
:D

Phat Matt
03-01-2005, 11:49 PM
So what MFG are you looking at??? All my boats I've done the wire running and most of the install during the build process. Let me know if you have any questions as I've been there done that a couple 4 times.....
:D
I am looking at the E-ticket.
http://www.eticketboats.com/luxury_cat/luxury_cat-Images/2005-Luxury-Cat-3.jpg http://www.eticketboats.com/luxury_cat/luxury_cat-Images/Two-tone-floor-LED-light.jpg http://www.eticketboats.com/luxury_cat/luxury_cat-Images/13.jpg
I put the system in my boat also. I like doing it, but if I have it done during the build process as I would like I wouldn't be able to since they are built in Havasu. I would probably decide where I would want everything and have some shop out there do it while it being built. Assuming I end up buying it.

Phat Matt
03-01-2005, 11:52 PM
I personally like the JL W3's. I jhave had really good luck with using them in the past. I would recommend lstening to the speakers and making your decision on what speakers produce the type of sound you like. I know of a shop in Ontario that carries the Alpines and the JLs. :wink:
I like it LOUD and CLEAR. I listen to mostly house music. Then throw in some alternative. Everyone else plays hip hop so I let them. :)

Essex29
03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
That is a nice boat!!!
good luck!