PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Rayson...

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 01:41 PM
One of my all time favorite boats... because a V-12 anything is cool... that's one big Rayson...
http://www.spect8foto.com/Irvine_V-drive_Regatta/large/Irvine45.jpg
I would appreciate any history or more pictures, post away... :D

Morg
03-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm guessing the first thing Rudy said when he saw the motor "were gonna need a bigger boat".
I heard that deal is over driven by like 200%, with a one of a kind box.
Definatly a cool peice of history.

superdave013
03-01-2005, 03:45 PM
in my section of the HB image center I had a bunch of them. I don't know if they are still there or not.
The owners were totaly cool about letting me hop up on the trailer to get some good photos.
Biggest v drive you will ever see in your life. It's a Casale too.

repo man
03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
i was cruising next to that thing at irvine and could hear it over my own boat. what a cool piece of history.

Morg
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Hijack alert
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar7505_6.gif
Makes me want to stop & smell the rose's :idea: C,mon

dmontzsta
03-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Hijack alert
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar7505_6.gif
Makes me want to stop & smell the rose's :idea: C,mon
LMAO

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 05:34 PM
I've heard stories that in the day that boat was pretty much unbeatable on certain courses (I assume that it ran circle races of some sort). I'm basically ignorant when it comes to boat racing classes (and most other things :D ), can anyone shed some light??

DaveA
03-01-2005, 10:11 PM
It was a marathon runner- stuff like Salton Sea 500 IIRC. And it would run off and hide from everyone. It's the reason that the 1000 cid limit was placed on the boats. Then stuff like Kwitcherbitchen showed up with 2 Ford tank engines in parallel just under 1000 cid combined. Well, then they went with something like 427 cid or something like that....This is all what I've read and some of what Rudy and Paul Fitzgerald have told me.
DaveA

wsuwrhr
03-01-2005, 11:09 PM
because a V-12 anything is cool...
That's what I am talking about.
The Allison powered many Unlimited hydroplanes(and still does in some cases) until the turbines took over.
Bad ass powerplant. IMHO
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Weber/Dellorto Carbs add to the already over the top cool factor.
Especially 6 of them.
Brian

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 11:21 PM
The Allison powered many Unlimited hydroplanes(and still does in some cases) until the turbines took over.
Bad ass powerplant. IMHO
Brian
When I was going to Aero-Tech they had a cut-away Allison in the A&P school, I used to just stand there and study it. I know there are still several people out there rebuilding and maintaining parts for those monsters.
Alot of those engines went into the oil fields and met their fate as pump motors... I've heard stories about pump companies having them stacked like cord wood, before being sold off for scrap (well maybe not stacked up, but more than several laying around)...

Norseman
03-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Bad ass powerplant. IMHO
Brian
When the weather breaks here in NY I'm supposed to go look at an old unlimited Hydroplane sitting outside a friends shop. It's supposed to be Allison powered, the old Miss Knickabocker I think.

InKahntrol
03-02-2005, 09:09 AM
At the Patterson shop in Reseda they've got a bunch of Allisons sitting in a pile. Patterson also has a dyno specifically setup for for those motors. Its pretty cool...

coolchange
03-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I think it's Roush that makes aluminum heads for that motor. They made them for their unlimited air racer.

DaveA
03-03-2005, 12:36 AM
At the Patterson shop in Reseda they've got a bunch of Allisons sitting in a pile. Patterson also has a dyno specifically setup for for those motors. Its pretty cool...
If I remember correctly, they did the Allison in the HotRod Rayson ("Cream Puff").
/

Norseman
03-03-2005, 04:53 AM
If I remember correctly, they did the Allison in the HotRod Rayson ("Cream Puff").
/
I wonder if the article on the boat is around anywhere. Be an interesting read

pixrthis
03-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I saw the boat do some laps at Long Beach a couple years ago and they ran it hard. It's cool to see people use their classics.

superdave013
03-03-2005, 09:39 AM
/
Bounce did the webber stuff I'm thinking.

obnoxious001
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I have a couple of photos from when Cream Puff was in Long Beach, but can't seem to upload to media center. Anyone else having similar problems with images?

haulina29
03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
AGT001 whats up , what kind of rubbish you trying to unload on the media center , Wheres Rexone ? AGT001 is trying to unload some filth something about puffies lol